Anyone carry a tactical baton?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a tactical baton? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 22 inch ASP that I carry in a clip on Kydex sheath when I am in an area inhabited by punks and ...

Thread: Anyone carry a tactical baton?

Bravo3

Anyone carry a tactical baton?

I have a 22 inch ASP that I carry in a clip on Kydex sheath when I am in an area inhabited by punks and assorted bad guys. Never used it but I bet it would hurt. It hurts me when I try to shake the thing out of the handle

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I just got a 16\" ASP baton. Don\'t have a sheath for it but will probably carry it in my door pocket. The first time I tried to shake it out I about threw out my shoulder. Unscrew the end cap of it and take out the retaining clip (little round disk with a clip on it poking down towards the shafts). Compress that little clip inward. Not alot, just a little at a time so you can see what works best for you. Mine is adjusted so it holds the shaft securely but is easily shook out with a flick of the wrist. Closeup where a firearm isn\'t necessary a tactical baton would make a good bridge between pepper spray and my Kimber. :kay:

VIP Member
    I\'m ASP certified and will carry my 16\" baton on occasion.

Bumper, as I remember, ASP advises that you do not tamper with the clip. After some practice, the baton will loosen up on it\'s own.

Also, do not oil the baton in order to \"slick it up\" for ease of opening.

DC Founder
    Uh oh, I already did, lol. It actually works really well. I worked mine until my shoulder hurt and it was still not loosened up. Deploying it in a vehicle was impossible without knocking a hole in my dashboard

Seriously, though, I just compressed it a teeny bit and it is just about right for me. It still stays where it is supposed to and a quick moderate flick of the wrist and it\'s out and locked up. Maybe someone else with a new one may want to read the directions first ;)

VIP Member
    :P I really screwed up my first baton by tweaking the clip and slicking the baton. The baton really needs the friction to stay open, so the oil didn\'t help, plus it caused dust fuzzies and other particles to stick to it.

Have you taken an ASP course? It\'s loads of fun, a great workout, a good skill to learn, plus an eye-opener, especially in the multiple aggressors drill (which is why a gun is a really good thing!). And hey, I got to beat on a big, scary cop.

I\'d like to learn the PR-24 baton next.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Betty
    Have you taken an ASP course? It\'s loads of fun, a great workout, a good skill to learn, plus an eye-opener, especially in the multiple aggressors drill (which is why a gun is a really good thing!). And hey, I got to beat on a big, scary cop.

I\'d like to learn the PR-24 baton next.
    No, Betty, I haven\'t taken one yet. I think I need to, though. I was playing around with it earlier trying to figure out how much I learned during Koga baton training in the police academy applies to the ASP. Not much I am thinking since I don\'t handcuff people anymore.

I expect most people just pull them and beat the crap out of the BG. I would like to know a little bit more than that ;)

The PR-24 is a wicked instrument but just too cumbersome unless you are carrying it on a duty belt.

VIP Member
    The PR-24 is a wicked instrument but just too cumbersome unless you are carrying it on a duty belt.
    It\'ll be for fun, and not for on-body carry. I\'ll look rather peculiar carrying one around with me. I\'m liking those Monadnock expandable PR-24s.

Wait a minute Betty did you say Bumper and work out? :O those 2 do not go together!:D

DC Founder
    Originally posted by nighthawk
    Wait a minute Betty did you say Bumper and work out? :O those 2 do not go together!:D
    Oh, well, yeah, if it requires me to break a sweat I guess I would reconsider. Ummm, you\'re the one to talk, nighthawk :P

How did you get certified in TN.

Originally posted by Betty
    I\'m ASP certified and will carry my 16\" baton on occasion.
    Betty, how did you get certified in TN to carry an ASP? I can\'t find a provision in the law.:question:

VIP Member
    I happened to run into a cop who certifies civilians. This was a cop down in Pulaski, where I used to live. His class was the genuine ASP certification, and it lasted several hours.

You can have a baton permit, but only after you have a carry permit. How screwy is that?

Links