Talon Grips...Granular? Rubber? - Page 2

Talon Grips...Granular? Rubber?

This is a discussion on Talon Grips...Granular? Rubber? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have tried both for my M&P Shield. The granular grip is a more positive grip but the problem is it is like velcro against ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Talon Grips...Granular? Rubber?

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I have tried both for my M&P Shield. The granular grip is a more positive grip but the problem is it is like velcro against cotton. My t-shirt would snag on the granular grip when I would draw my pistol. The rubber grip isn't quite as nice in the hand but no snagging on t-shirt when drawing. So I guess the moral of the story is there is a trade-off between the grips. I figured what good is a really nice grip if you can't get the pistol out of the holster? The granular grip is excellent if you want it for a range gun but not so good for a carry gun.

Wife ordered from amazon the Rubber for her G26 but I got the Granulate for my G19. I don't think she knew they had two choices , feels pretty comfortable and i have a sweat guard on my holster.
    "Liberal arguments against guns tend to presume the worst: that a yearning for gun ownership must in some way be rooted in the desire to hurt. But gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love"
    Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

I run the rubber on all my guns and a strip of granular on the front and rear of the grip as well as the top of my slides.

Sorry to resurrect an old post - but, fit those of you with the granulate - do you ever pocket carry with it? If not, do you think it would aid or inhibit a smooth pocket draw?

I'm deciding between rubber and granulate for a Ruger LC9s Pro I am going to pocket carry on my weak side. I need something, small gun, bug hands... But I'm worried about snagging the pocket lining.

Distinguished Member Array cn262's Avatar
    I have used the rubber Talon grips for years on all of my Glocks. I like them because they are easy to grip when your hands are sweaty / slippery, and they are easy to consistently get a high grip on the pistol. The Gen4 Glock texture works fine (can be a little rough after 200+ rounds in one day), but it bites your hand a little more so I was sometimes grabbing a little low. In general they are great.

You definitely want to prepare your gun well to get it to stick well, and also be careful not to apply too much heat when you are finishing-up with a blow dryer. The Talon grips lasted 2 years on my EDC, which was good. The only thing I didn't like is that once they came loose they did it all at once. It isn't ideal when you go to grab your pistol and your thumb slips. Anyway, it's still the best thing out there IMO.

The only other issue that I have seen is when I let someone shoot my G42 and she used a Remora type holster. The rubber stuck to the inside of the holster and made it difficult to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    That settles it for me. Rubber Talon grip is going in my shopping bag. Thanks everyone for your input!
    I bought a pair of the rubber type and sheets of the same material from a different vendor, I made a copy or spare set before I placed them on my pistol, then I made a set for my shield on my own and copied that. The sheets are pretty easy to cut with a good pair of scissors and a friend looked at my shield and asked if they were Talon grips? I chuckled and showed him my SR9c and said, "no these are Talon grips", then I explained and I must say you really can't tell the difference. I'm going to get the grit type sheets and try it out, I've shot a few pistols with it and I like it but a little concerned with shirts sticking and rug burns.

Senior Member Array Bigmac31391's Avatar
    I ordered granular and tried them first and did not like them , ordered rubber and like them ok but I really am considering going back to granular! You can take some fine grit sandpaper if you think the grip is too much. !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links