M&P Shield / Which Big Dots?

This is a discussion on M&P Shield / Which Big Dots? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never had them before, which do you recommend the large or standard?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M&P Shield / Which Big Dots?

M&P Shield / Which Big Dots?

Never had them before, which do you recommend the large or standard?

2. Remove Ads

I have the big dots on my Glocks. They are big and easy to see. As a combat sight they are excellent for that distance between point and shoot and my effective handgun range of 25 yards. They have some pretty good videos on YouTube about them

Sent from my 300 baud modem

I have the Big Dots on my XD9sc and love them.

However, since the new Trijicon HD have come out, I think they offer some improvements on the XS Big Dots. Especially in the rear sight. I also like the hi-vis orange and hi-vis yellow florescent luminescent paint which surrounds the tritium front sight as opposed to the plain white paint on the XS sights.

Although I haven't tried them out for a true comparison, after seeing them on a friends M&P I'm ordering them for my M&P full size soon. They really pop and give you an instant focus on the front sight.

Just throwing it out there for your consideration. Not trying to discourage you from the Big Dots, as I like them too. I just think the Trijicon's are an improvement.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Although I haven't tried them out for a true comparison, I'm ordering them for my M&P full size soon, and then I'll have a better take on which I like best.

Hurry up! What are you waiting for? ;)

I was seriously considering some XS sights for my M&P40c but since I've seen the HDs I've been leaning towards them as it will still give me a consistent sight alignment across all my handguns.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Hurry up! What are you waiting for? ;)

I was seriously considering some XS sights for my M&P40c but since I've seen the HDs I've been leaning towards them as it will still give me a consistent sight alignment across all my handguns.
    Because in the last 3 months I've bought two guns (M&P full size & M&P Shield), two $100 + knives and a couple holsters for my new guns. I'm sleeping on the sofa now as it is. I don't want to end up sleeping in my truck!

But I'll be getting them for the full size M&P as soon as things cool down at home a bit, and then get some for the Shield before summer is over. (But don't tell my wife).

I'd have already had the Trijicon's on my full size M&P by now if it wasn't for that damn M&P Shield I had to have.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Are these a do it yourself job on the Shield, or are they a take it to the gun shop kind of thing? I've never installed sights before, thinking it might be worth the $20 or whatever to have it done.

I'm thinking you can probably do it yourself however, I'll probably take my guns in to a friend of mine who is a gunsmith/FFL.

Now for the Big Dots I had put on the XD I'm glad I had it done at the factory. I've heard it's a real chore getting the front sight off on XD's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member
    I have heard the front sight on some M&Ps can be a bit difficult in getting off. Nothing a heavier hammer didn't solve but it didn't move too easy. There is also an online company that will rent a sight tool for a week for the DIYers.

I put xs big dot sights on my 45 when I had it... I literally couldn't hit a torso sized target at 25 yards! To see if I was crazy I had my buddy try it (M class IPSC shooter) he couldn't hit ten inch plates at 15-20 yards... They went into the trash when I got home. YMMV.

I get the concept, they just didn't work at all for me. Maybe I'm just not a "point shooting" guy, but if I can't reliably hit a torso sized target at 25 yards I can't in good conscience carry that weapon. If it works for you good to go, I've seen a video of a guy hitting a target 100 yards away with these xs sights... I just can't even remotely do so.

On another note, M&P sights come out easy with a hammer and punch (seriously, no sarcasm). Just drift from the left to the right as the muzzle points away from you.

Thanks for the input so far guys, and for the info on removing the sights as well.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have the Big Dots on my XD9sc and love them.

However, since the new Trijicon HD have come out, I think they offer some improvements on the XS Big Dots. Especially in the rear sight. I also like the hi-vis orange and hi-vis yellow florescent luminescent paint which surrounds the tritium front sight as opposed to the plain white paint on the XS sights.

Although I haven't tried them out for a true comparison, after seeing them on a friends M&P I'm ordering them for my M&P full size soon. They really pop and give you an instant focus on the front sight.

Just throwing it out there for your consideration. Not trying to discourage you from the Big Dots, as I like them too. I just think the Trijicon's are an improvement.

I think the HD sights are great sights, but I'm not convinced that they're $70 better than the $90 M&P XS sights.

I would go with the standard dot. I find it just as fast to pick up as the big dot, but more precise. I have a Big Dot on my M&P9c and a standard dot on my LCR.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member
    Has anyone considered the AmeriGlow Pro i-Dots? They have a similar hi-viz front sight to the HD, with a traditional rear sight and a single tritium dot in the middle of the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Has anyone considered the AmeriGlow Pro i-Dots? They have a similar hi-viz front sight to the HD, with a traditional rear sight and a single tritium dot in the middle of the groove.
    I've just seen them on their website. I haven't seen them in person like the HD's and the Big Dot's. I think they are definitely an option too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member
    I've just seen them on their website. I haven't seen them in person like the HD's and the Big Dot's. I think they are definitely an option too.
    Here is post on the S&W forum of them installed on an M&P, still not in person but better than the AG website.

Sight Question
    Bark'n likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The more I look at those AGs the more I like them. You get the dot on dot/line quickness of the XS sights but then still have the more precise notch and post sighting as well.

On my 40c I currently have no rear dots and have painted the front dot a neon yellow, I think I am going to try putting a dot or line on the rear sight to see how I like that arrangement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links