IS surefire worth it???

This is a discussion on IS surefire worth it??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a spyder tactical light, so it is nice, but something in me wants a surefire. The problem is there are sooooo many ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IS surefire worth it???

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

IS surefire worth it???

I currently carry a spyder tactical light, so it is nice, but something in me wants a surefire. The problem is there are sooooo many models, which one do you recommend? and what is your experience with them? as always your input is appreciated.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I like mine, but other brands are just as good. I have the G2 polymer body light.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I bought a LNIB E1e - otherwsie daresay I wouldn;t have splashed out full price.

I have tho found it A1 despite small and in theory not super killer bright.

I spent out to get the LED head, which was rather pricey but - it suits me just fine for daily carry and when tested flashing into someone's eyes achieve a distinct ''ouch'' so ''dazzle factor'' is amazing for such a small luminaire.

Surefire stuff is topquality but as we know these days - many other offerings are cheaper but still well worth consideration.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I like surefires alright, but my new favorite has to be Pentagonlight.
    Fear No Evil.

I think it's worth it......love my Z2.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

I have their basement model G2 and added their high output P61 head. 120 lumens and less then $80. Not bad. I did get to check out a friends SL5 Digilight and was VERY impressed. These are every bit as good as anything else out there. Also talked with a private contractor who was just back in country and swears by his M3 Combat Light from Surefire. A world of choices!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I've had a Z2, it was a great light but hard to find a good leather carrier for it. I currently carry a 6P and am well satisfied with it. If I bought another Surefire it'd be the E2e but I'd also consider the lights offered by Pentagon, Streamlight and Innova (paticularly the Innova). Lots of choices out there when it comes to TAC lights.

You could always just borrow 10 or 12 of clipse's and do a comparison.
    Jack

VIP Member
    I have at least 6 Surefires. The 6P I have had for years & shows a lot of abuse but still works fine. I also have an original 6Z that gets carried the most. I have a couple of the newer polymer bodied G2s, one of which is mounted to a SHOTGUN, the other is in my toolbox. I have a E2L 'outdoorsman' that I take when hunting w/blue lens for blood trails. I have a M3 that is attached to my AR (great for dispatching coyotes).

As you can tell I'm a big fan....the downside is I go thru a lot of 3v batts .
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have an E2D and a G2. I really like both of them and carry the E2D daily. I was able to find well made, inexpensive holsters for both of them on Ebay.

Yeah they are pricey, but they are dependable.

VIP Member
    I really like the Surefire quality. But I'm impressed by Pentagonlight so I might spring for one of those. I have a Digilight and I really do think it's a notch below (but not by much) my Surefire lights.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I have had my C2 for about 4 years now and think it is well worth whatever I paid for it. I know nothing about other lights. I have been so thoroughly satisfied with this Surefire, I just haven't picked up any others.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I really had trouble paying so much for a flashlight until I had to use it. They are incredible lights. I have the L2, and the E1L and they are very great lights. I would not hesitate to buy another one (if by some small chance one of these broke).
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

When it comes to surefire you are also paying for awesome customer support. That being said, I was thoroughly unhappy with my G2. It wasn't nessicarily the G2 it was the lamp assembly. I went through several before I gave up on the P60 completely. I recently upgraded it with rechargable Li-ion batteries and a 9v 175 lumen lamp. I like it much better and the LA is of better build (IMHO).

That was the G2. I also have an A2 Aviator that I LOVE!!! Its awesome for what it is. Its not my EDC flashlight though.

IMHO some of Surefire's lights are worth the price. I still say, you can get as good if not better lights for a better price. But you may not have the CS of Surefire.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I have a G2 that goes in the console of my pickup and a 6P that goes in my pocket. The 6P makes a very good hand weapon for back up.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Worth it?

Heck yes. My 6P will probably last a lifetime and I use it almost everyday. My G2 on the otherhand, is a POS. The tailcap does not lock out. SF's customer support is awesome and they have sent me lanyard rings for free. I would also look at Pentagon lights but at the time I bought my SFs, they weren't in business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links