Red Dot or Reflex?

This is a discussion on Red Dot or Reflex? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone recommend a good red dot or optical sight such as a reflex? Also, which is better and why in your opinion....red dot or ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jonconsiglio

Thread: Red Dot or Reflex?

Red Dot or Reflex?

Can anyone recommend a good red dot or optical sight such as a reflex? Also, which is better and why in your opinion....red dot or reflex? Thanks
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I love my DeltaPoint-equipped Glock 17. I have also heard good things about the Trijicon RMR.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good red dot or optical sight such as a reflex? Also, which is better and why in your opinion....red dot or reflex? Thanks
    What do you plan on putting it on?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Proud NRA member

What is it going on, what are you using it for and what's your budget? Personally, I'll always choose irons over cheap optics.

If you want the best, you're looking at a Trijicon RMR or an Aimpoint. I own a number of them including the DeltaPoint and the mini RMR, and the Trijicon is definitely more durable. It's the only optic right now that I'd put on a handgun. For rifles, use Aimpoint T1's, but all of their optics are high quality. You can find some of these used, in great condition, for a couple hundred if you look around.
    luvmy40 and Guest1 like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Sponsor
    Listen to jon, you won't go wrong!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Is it possible to get a decent one for around $200? For home defense shotgun.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Administrator
    For $200.00 you are not going to get an AimPoint.

Shop around for a 2012 Vortex SPARC - It's a decent piece of durable optic with some nice features that you should be able to find for a bit less than $200.00 these days.

Thanks so much. This is the kind of knowledgeable info I can us.

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Is it possible to get a decent one for around $200? For home defense shotgun.
    For a HD shot gun yes you can price have been coming down. Also your not going to be shooting 500 meters with a HD shot gun.

For a home defense shotgun, I'd look for a Trijicon Mini RMR. There's a fiber optic/tritium model and a red dot model. I see them used under $300, but not as low as $200 that I recall. They're worth the money, I will never put a cheap optic on a defensive firearm.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Burris FastFire II Red-Dot Reflex Sight....what about this sight? And thanks for your pratical help. I get more help for this board than any other.

Q: Red Dot or Reflex?
    A: Trijicon!

Man I love forums.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    My father in law put one of these on his Colt SP1 and I was very impressed by it.

Works just like an Aimpoint, but I've only used it on a .223. I have no idea how it would stand up to recoil from a shotty.

Most people don't know the difference between reflex and red dot. Actually, many red dots are reflex optics. Technically, an EoTech is a reflex while the Aimpoint not so much. FO, laser or LED just happens to be the mechanism.

Personally, I'll put a T1 on anything I can fit it on. For subguns and handguns, I'll run the Trijicon mini RMR, which is more robust than the DeltaPoint. The mini RMR is available in both fiber optic/tritium and LED. I prefer the LED, though the one thing the FO/tritium version has going for it is not relying on batteries and it will adjust automatically going from light to dark.

Links