Winchester Gun Safe $599 at Tractor Supply - Is this a good buy??

This is a discussion on Winchester Gun Safe $599 at Tractor Supply - Is this a good buy?? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my brother stops by a semi-local Tractor Supply and tells me they have a pretty nice Winchester Gun Safe for $599. Anyone have one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Winchester Gun Safe $599 at Tractor Supply - Is this a good buy??

So my brother stops by a semi-local Tractor Supply and tells me they have a pretty nice Winchester Gun Safe for $599. Anyone have one of these or can comment on the quality/value? The sales guy at the store said they sell a ton of them and usually run out before the sale runs out. It is rated for 1400 deg for 30 minutes. I stopped by and looked at it and it seems pretty good for the price:

Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - 1043297 | Tractor Supply Company

I asked about the $100 oversized shipping fee and he said they do not charge that if you pick it up in the store. $599 plus tax out the door.

Here is a fantastic resource from retsup99: Gun Safe Buyers' Guide

He gave it to several here, and it is a great link.
    bigmacque likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I saw one at the local Tractor Supply a couple of weeks ago and checked out the "guide" after I got home. Did some other research as well. I came to the conclusion that it was a pretty good deal for the price. It has features (1 1/4 inch bolts vs 1 inch bolts, and the number of bolts) that are generally found in safes costing twice as much. Since I didn't have $1200-$2000 or more to spend on a safe, I concluded it was a lot better than nothing. I've been "looking" and debating about getting a safe for quite a while and decided to get it.

I also read a number of the reviews written by purchasers on the TS website. From what a couple of people said, I figured I could bring it home in my pickup and get a couple of neighbors to help me move it into the house and basement.

I went back to TS, bought the safe and a heavy duty dolly. They loaded it into my truck with a forklift. That should have been my first clue. When I got home I contacted a neighbor and made arrangements for help after they got off work. In the mean time, I cut up a broom and a couple of old mops to get "rollers" from the handles to assit in getting the box with the safe out of my truck. To make a long story shorter, my neighbors are 6'4, 250lbs, and 6'0, 195 lbs young and strong. It took us about an hour and a half to get the safe out of my truck, over to the back porch, up the steps into the kitchen, then down the steps to the basement. DON'T believe the reviews that say "it was easy for me and a buddy to move it into the house"!!! They must have been 350 lb NFL linemen or Olympic Power Lifters! It is NOT that easy to move!

It was easy to set up the safe once we got it into the basement. Just follow the directions carefully about assembling the handle and setting your combination. I'm really happy with the safe, but unless you have some big, strong friends I'd advise you to pay someone to deliver the safe and put it in your home. Just my .02. Hope this info helps.

PS I'm including a link: Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - 1043297 | Tractor Supply Company
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Not a bad deal for a smaller safe. I look at the fireratings and see how much safe I can afford. The door pockets and lock look good. As noted above the bold size 1" vs 1 1/4"

great deal! I got a Cannon one that looks pretty identical for about 100 more if I recall correctly.

Side note: I see many photos of safes with fancy accessories on the inside of the door. I don't think there is any clearance for these decorations.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
    It is rated for 1400 deg for 30 minutes. I stopped by and looked at it and it seems pretty good for the price:
    Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - 1043297 | Tractor Supply Company

I asked about the $100 oversized shipping fee and he said they do not charge that if you pick it up in the store. $599 plus tax out the door.
    Better than nothing, but maybe not a very good value and not much fire protection.

Here is what you need to know: Comprehensive high resolution video slap it up to 1080p, full screen, and learn from the best.

VIP Member
    I've seen that Winchester safe at TSC; it does look pretty darned good. They carry Cannon as well.

I'm not sure of this, but I believe I read that some of the big chain stores will contact a safe manufacturer and have them make a line of safes specifically for their company purchases. The safes may be a little thinner or lighter than normal. I'm not 100% sure of this though, it does sound reasonable that a chain would commit to buy X number of safes built to their specs. Nevertheless it didn't bother me, I bought a Cannon from TSC, and I'm happy with it.

I would have bought that Winchester but it didn't hold the amount of guns that I wanted. Not that I have "that" many guns, it's just that I needed it to hold my past tax returns, yeah that's it, I needed that space for old tax returns.
    Foo909 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for the info and recommendations. That buyers guide is excellent. I have been looking around a little and trying to determine value/quality and trying to find some middle ground. I did look at the Cannon as well and it is a beast. Also right now Fleet Farm (local to WI and MN) has a pretty good deal on Freedom Fat Boy Jr - $900. It lists for $1459.

The YouTube video is also Excellent. Veryinformative by a knowledgeable guy.

Thanks for the video link. I've already purchased (Sturdy Safe), but that video would have saved me hours of research when I was in the market for a safe.

Cool

That sounds like a good deal to me.

They are not as hard to move as they appear; I moved my safe mostly by myself with a 2 wheel dolly. Only needed help lifting up over the threshold.

How does the electronic panel react to fire?

I was in the moving business for a long time and we used 4 wheel moving dollies. Just center it on the dolly and it will walk most thresholds by tilting it back a little bit

For $600.00 it has a lot of features, however I could not find what gage steel is used on the body and door. By the weight and comparing to a comparable size Sturdey Safe that I know is 7 gage I would guess 12 gage. The thing I personally won't buy is an electronic lock. That's where you hear locksmiths say most problems and costs down the road come from, not to mention being locked out of your safe. At least the lock is UL rated so it is a decent one. For me, I would save a little more and buy something stronger, but it does look like a decent value for the money for a RSC and it it certainly better than not having anything to lock your guns up with. Must bolt any of them down and try to put it in a corner or between two walls and an exterior wall would be even better.

TSC does have some great deals on their gun safes. Best time to buy is week after Christmas to first of the year when they mark them all down.

I beleive Liberty makes this safe,if so its a great buy,Looks like it is fire protected,just does'nt give a time or temp.

I think Penske rents an electric handtruck which slowly raises and lowers the handtruck to go up and down steps...for next time :)
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links