My Homemade Magazine Ankle Carrier

This is a discussion on My Homemade Magazine Ankle Carrier within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to share with you guys how I made an ankle attachment to hold one of my CZ 75 magazines. I made it to ...

Thread: My Homemade Magazine Ankle Carrier

Just wanted to share with you guys how I made an ankle attachment to hold one of my CZ 75 magazines. I made it to fit the stock 18 rounders that come with my Phantom, but it also fits with my 25 round extended magazine. The bulk of the carrier is a leather archery bracer, which can be purchased from any major archery distributor for under $20. I don't really like the faux-period raw hide band that usually comes with them, so I replaced it (at first) with an extra-long shoelace. I later tried diamond-braided nylon rope, but settled on 550 paracord. I beat up the leather to make it nice and soft, and it feels pretty comfy around the lower calf. The pocket for the magazine is a leather eyeglass pouch. This may be a little harder to duplicate, since most people don't have as ready access to eyeglass cases as I do (I'm an optician's assistant), but I'm sure the clever reader could come up with something else to suffice. The only other ingredients are a magazine (loaded for proper measurement--I used snap caps), some primate-themed adhesive, and a good (long) comfy sock.

I removed the button closure from the eyeglass case and creased the back part of it down along the same slope as the base of my magazine, so that no material would be in the way of access. A little Gorilla glue overnight and it was nicely in the shape of my magazine. Since the bullet shape at the end pinched the pouch a little bit, I folded up and glued the bottom corners as well, both to better form-fit it to the magazine and to give the whole pouch a flatter profile. I donned the archery bracer on my calf (as if to shoot an arrow with my legs) and determined the most comfortable cant for the pouch. Once my leather was good and soft, I scratched up the surface where the mag pocket was going to be glued for a little extra bond-insurance. I put just a thin strip of Gorilla glue down the very center of the back of the eyeglass pouch and...voilą. Just about there. A night underneath some old college textbooks (finally a use for them!) and it wasn't going anywhere. But I used a very thin paintbrush and spread a little more Gorilla glue in by the seam just to be safe. Lace it up and all of a sudden, ~$23.75 worth of leather and glue turns into a very effective magazine carrier. I have used it a good number of times for 8-hour periods and found it to be...adequately comfortable. The level of comfort is proportional to how well you can distribute even pressure on the laces (i.e. tight enough to stay up all day, but not choking your calf in three different places).

Oh yeah...the sock. You see, the largest problem with this system (and the one I'm sure I'll take the most flak for, but be gentle--this is my first real post) is the hooks on either side of the bracer--like the things on boots or hockey skates, for those of you that I've lost by now. Not very quick-draw when your jeans get stuck on 12 little metal hooks on the way up. My simple solution to this problem is to cover the whole carrier in a long sock, which goes up over all of the hooks. I usually put the top of the sock over the last hook on the top of the bracer and fold the top of the sock down into the laces, and it stays pretty secure. This allows me to pull up my jeans/khakis/whatever relatively snag-free, and since the whole system is underneath the sock nothing shows at the bottom of my pants or back of my shoes.

It works. I like it. I have also made a second one for my other leg to carry my SOG Seal Pup, maybe I'll post something about it in the knife section someday. Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images

Nice job but if you need a reload it’s an awkward place to get it from

sorry to say it but a zipper stitch might get broken and unravel; inline stitching is stronger

Yeah it isn't quite as natural as reaching for an OWB/IWB mag carrier, but I can get it out in about 2 seconds. But sure--2 seconds is a little slow in the life-or-death department. Since i usually carry my Phantom with a 16 rounder, I hope that if I ever find myself in a situation where I've already discharged 16 rounds that I might be able to find some cover for a reload!

I'm a little unclear on your comments about the stitching. Could you elaborate a bit on the zipper/inline comment?

Sponsored Links