Anyone use Ballistol on their guns?

This is a discussion on Anyone use Ballistol on their guns? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you use it as a cleaner, lubricant, or both? Where do you apply it on your guns? I've been using Rem oil and was ...

Thread: Anyone use Ballistol on their guns?

Do you use it as a cleaner, lubricant, or both? Where do you apply it on your guns? I've been using Rem oil and was thinking about giving Ballistol a shot.

2. Remove Ads

I use it as both, seems to work well but it does have a strong odor.

Hickok45 endorses it, can't be too bad - then again he does prefer Glocks...

I had used Break Free for years. Picked up Ballistol from a Hickok45 video and switched over. No issues to report as it seems to work just fine.

That stuff simply ricks.
    If you can get your hands on the orginal german stuff, even better.
    Funny thing is, on the product description in Germany, it says that it is alos a desinfectant, and you can even use it on the furr of your pets. I used to have a pocket spraycan with me when out hunting. Shooters and hunters trust that stuff since generations.

I buy it by the Case. I have used it on so many things I like the smell.

I like Ballistol and use it exclusively. I like it because it works great on SS and Blued firearms. It is also great for leather and plasticsl. However, do not use it on plated guns because it can get under the plating and lift it off. It is that good. The cleaning is not the fastest cleanier around so you may have to let it soak longer, but the more you use it the more protection it provides and the lest time it needs to soak. I too think the smell is ok.

Vv

Nope!

I might have had more respect for the thread if the title was 'Who uses Ballistol on their guns?' No hijack if the cockpit door is left open.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Just started using it after using Hoppe's #9 for years. I like it much better!
    Proud NRA member

I've been using Ballistol for a couple of years now for cleaning and lubrication. I was curious about Gunzilla having read many good reviews so I picked some of that up too for comparison. Both these products are excellent IMO but for me Ballistol is easier to use from the aerosol can, works as well as Gunzilla or better, and costs less. I've stuck with Ballistol for my gun maintenance needs.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    FYI, I purchased a FN5.7x28 about a year ago and called tech service concerning their recommendations for clean/lube. I mentioned Ballistol to the tech and he indicated that he uses it exclusively on his 5.7. It cleans, it lubes, it does have a funny smell but it is far from the strong chemical smell of other cleaners, and it is biodegradable. All win/win in my book. Everyone is always looking for that magic "stuff" ya know the stuff that cleans incredibly, lubes incredibly, costs nothing, and you can wash your face in it---this is close and seems to work--as far as I am concerned when someone in the FN tech dept tells me they use it on my $1k firearm, that seals the deal.

Me as well. I noticed it keeps the parts lubed MUCH better and longer than Rem Oil.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

I just started using it and like it so far.

Links