rhino bed liner for ak mags

This is a discussion on rhino bed liner for ak mags within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have an ak47 and was thinking about using rhino truck bed liner spray to paint one of my mags for it, it would give ...

Thread: rhino bed liner for ak mags

i have an ak47 and was thinking about using rhino truck bed liner spray to paint one of my mags for it, it would give it a textured feel and would be tough enough to stay on with out chipping. i feel if it is strong enough for a bed linner it would be good enough for my mag, plus it would be stronger than using regular spray paint on them. has anyone done this before and did it work out well? i will try to pos some pictures when i finnish it and let you know how it feels. if there is a better type of paint to use please let me know, thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I never tried on any mags, but I have used it on vehicles and I can tell you it will definitely stick to your mags and it does work great. Just don't get any on the spring.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

+1 for creativity

Better make sure you don't go to high with it either. Might have fitting issues....I would with my slr107. I have thought about the new "rubberized water proof spray" at Lowes and home depot. You know the stuff the guy cuts the bottom of the boat out replaces it with the screen door and it doesn't leak??

Sent from my DROID RAZR

ya i would fit it in the ak first and trace a line with a pencil to show how much goes into the ak then tape it off so i would not spray to high on it, plus pull the tape off before it fully dries and i would not be able to pull it off.

Linex is thinner. I've had both. the Rhino is very tuff and a little flexible. but it does leave a residue on your hands and clothes after a while. the Linex feels more like an enamel. it's a little smoother than the Rhino though. probably wouldn't provide as good a grip surface. not a very expensive experiment though. let us know how it goes.

Why not have it coated with Cerakote?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

too expensive and i would have to send it away, plus it would not give it that textured feel i want. but it would look nice.

I was actually thinking of doing this about a month ago on my Keltec PF9 grip. You can see in this post that someone actually performed something similar to one of their AR mags. I hope this helps. God Bless

PF9 grip and truck bedliner spray >>>>>>> - KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum

I think just some grip tape or skateboard tape would work well on magazines as well.

true i might have to look into that, i will see if i can find some at the local sport's store.

Word of warning about the bedliner and some plastics, some seem to adhere great and some not so much. Did the front and back plastic bumpers and all of the side plastic moldings on a Ford Explorer. Thoroughly cleaned, degreased, and scuffed plastic beforehand and used 3M adhesion promoter. The only panel on the truck that stayed good was the front bumper. The other panels all ended up flaking and chipping off in large areas. Can only surmise that the plastic is off gassing and fouling the adhesion or that particular plastic is somehow incompatible. The front bumper appears to be identical at least in color and texture.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

You can get the roll on stuff real cheap at any auto parts store. Maybe get a small touch up can and do one to see how it works.

I think that a can of that spray on rubberized undercoating from your local automotive store (or Wal Mart) would be cheaper. It's a thought. About half of my AK mags are the waffle type anyway, and my 40 rounders are easy enough to hold onto. I personally don't see the need or why you would want to do something like this....but feel free to experiment. Bit of advice......make sure you prep your mags properly for adhesion of whatever you're going to use and adhere to the instructions on for product use....things like temperature during application.......no smoking..........sandpaper or buff the surface, etc. You know what I mean here so you won't have many problems in the future with what you've done. Good luck!

i just did two of my mags and they look good so far drying right now over night. i used rustoleum thats used for bed liners with some grit. they are metal european surplus mags that i cleaned first with acetone (spelling sorry?) no scrubbing with sand paper just sprayed on after taping up i will try to post some pic later.

Links