Reloading benches?

This is a discussion on Reloading benches? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any one here have a picture of a small reloading bench, or a pattern to make one. I'm not looking for the super professional mass ...

Thread: Reloading benches?

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

Reloading benches?

Any one here have a picture of a small reloading bench, or a pattern to make one. I'm not looking for the super professional mass production model. Just a nice moderate table to keep around 6 sets of dies, and the related material.

I'm going to make one, but space is limited, so I'm looking for that balance of enough, in minimal space.

Thanks
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - mine is on small side. I show it tho because it started life really as no more than a smallish cupboard unit with drawers - which I pressed into service a long time ago.

It now has some 2x6 spacing pieces fixed on - to raise presses and give better secure attachment for small lag bolts. I doubt at this late stage I will change much - it does the job - and some peripheral shelves and rows of small trays serve to keep most of the other gear.

It is fixed to the wall and so is rock solid. Cheap and simple.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

*drools*

Quote Originally Posted by threeonebravo View Post
    *drools*
    I'll second that.

Chris,

That helps a lot, I was also wondering about spacing the presses, I have one chalanger press, and two mec shotgun presses. Was thinking about making the bench top half of an octagon, and using the three sides facing out to mount each on the presses. but it looks like the streight front works just fine.

Thanks for the pics. If you find you have to much stuff their, and it is getting in the way, I'll be glad to "store" it for you.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Chris, thanks for posting that. I always enjoy seeing what other setups look like, and yours looks pretty nice from my standpoint! All i have right now, is a large toolbox full of CLP, Hoppes #9, Hoppes Semi-Auto (silver label), boresnakes, rods, brushes, patches, etc. I have yet to burst onto the reloading scene, but it does interest me very much.

Think you have enough weapons and supplies??! I think you have plenty, although... I'm sure there is room for more!

Everyone meet me at Chris's this weekend for the Expo he's throwing for the combatcarry members. It entails reloading, procedures, techniques, setting up shop, the whole works. He even told me he will be serving steaks and burgers, hotdogs and soft drinks. See you all there!! haha!

(NOTE)- Anyone showing up at Chris's house this weekend is likely to meet a steel intruder deterrent. Beware!
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - actually straight front is only ''OK'' - I manage but do have stuff rather tight together. It works tho and as ever these days I am severely behind on reloading so - when I get to it, I manage.

Your notion of half octagon would for sure be a wise move IMO. I like that idea.

My two main turrets are a bit close but it works - a lightweight single station at right end is only used occasionally. A Challenger single station is next to left turret and gets used for factory crimp die use mainly - or rifle work. Next to left is a RCBS lubrisizer and furthest left is a Hornady hopper fed powder measure.

Not showing here is an electronic scales unit which lives under the Hornady powder unit.

''Too much stuff'' - haha - well yeah, there is but - sorry to say it all stays put

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shaun - sorry this weekend is all booked up! Flying, shooting and biking
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    The main thing about using mutiple presses on the same bench is to be sure to leave enough space in between each one. You've got to be able to have enough room to place bullets on one side, cases on the other and other stuff like a primer tray, a scale, and even your favorite drink.

Im currerntly using a Dillion 550b. Next to it is an RCBS lubrisizer for sizing and lubing bullets. I eventually built another table right across from it that has a single stage RCBS, another powder measure, and a 50 BMG press.I did that because to put it on the same bench (8 feet long) would have cluttered it up.

No matter how you do it, BE SURE to give yourself plenty of room. If you dont,you'll be fighting that fact from now on. Trust me...Ive BTDT...

Last edited by HotGuns; September 13th, 2006 at 12:24 PM.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Mike, How about mounting each press to a 3/8"-1/2" piece of steel that would slide into and under some type of angle iron arrangement that would be permanently mounted to the bench. That way you could slide in and lock down the press you wanted to use at the time and only have one press on the bench at a time.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeBob View Post
    Mike, How about mounting each press to a 3/8"-1/2" piece of steel that would slide into and under some type of angle iron arrangement that would be permanently mounted to the bench. That way you could slide in and lock down the press you wanted to use at the time and only have one press on the bench at a time.
    Mike,

I had thought about that, but their is resistance in the press during the up and in the down stroke of operating. That means that the plate would have to be of a very tight tolerance, or securely clamped down to avoid the slack issue.

It's not a bad idea for someone who want's to do that, I guess, chalk me up in the lazy column.

Links