Want Highest NRR Ear Protection

This is a discussion on Want Highest NRR Ear Protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I already have ringing in my ears, not from shooting, and want to get the best ear protection possible so I don't damage my ears ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bzdog

Thread: Want Highest NRR Ear Protection

I already have ringing in my ears, not from shooting, and want to get the best ear protection possible so I don't damage my ears any more. I plan to use ear plugs and the best ear muffs I can find.

Recommendations?

VIP Member
    Welcome and get a silencer to go along with your ear plugs and muffs.

vtsenior,
    I have Meneier's Disease and have lost 90% of my left hearing and 10 to 15% in the right so like you I watch what I wear for protection.
    We have a local guy that travels the country to shooting events and makes a mold for your ears from a rubber type product. He puts it in your ear and you have to sit and wait for it to harden. It has an NRR of about 29.4. I shoot outdoors and if no one is near me or with a high powered weapon I just wear these. Otherwise I put them in and then wear muffs that have a 30 NRR rating. So double protection. His website is Jimsearneye.com.
    This is the link to the product. Earinc/Insta-Mold - Insta-Mold Earplugs - custom molded hearing protection for shooting, motorcycling, swimming and industry ?
    Call the number on his website and he can probably tell you if there is anyone near you that makes them. Seems like they were around $40.
    Good Luck
    Ted

A simple set of Silencio electronic muffs and a pair of ~26dB plugs has worked well for me. With as much noise reduction as doubling-up provides, the electronic feature comes in handy for hearing nearby voices. In combination, any reasonable set of plugs and muffs should work fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Muffs can be had at 33dB reduction like:

http://www.amazon.com/Altus-Brands-U.../dp/B002KEULBM

That plus plugs should be pretty good.

-john

While the DIY custom mold plugs can work well, they are different than the foamies in they don't put active outward pressure on your ear. While this is comfortable, it is easy to break the seal at times which vastly compromises the noise reduction.

I do like these, but if you have serious sound protection needs and want custom plugs, get them professionaly done so they have the best seal.

-john
    marcclarke likes this.

Hubby and I both have tricky hearing. A couple of decades of have sirens blaring overhead really took it's toll. That was before they found out that prolonged exposure to sirens overhead hurt the hearing. My last year in the field they decided it made more sense to put the sirens on the front of the vehicle. Lucky me...day late and a dollar short in that. There are some people I just can't understand on the phone. I have had ringing for so long I don't notice it anymore. We have ear plugs and muffs (I think that is what they are called). We are trying to save what we have left....we are too old to learn a new language...including sign language.

BTW...I am sure that the Rock Concerts didn't help much either.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Plugs and muffs1 I suffer from Tinitus also, too many years of power tools, guns and rock concerts. Can't sleep when it's quiet, need the TV on for background noise.

Pistol shooting will be a snap since you can use the bulkier muffs that get in the 30+ rating but for rifle work you need to consider cheek wield so a lesser muff or electronic muff with a good set of foam plugs rated at 30+ will get you by in all but indoor ranges with large calibers.

Best to avoid indoor ranges unless you can be sure of what the person next to you will be shooting.

Howard Leight offers their Impact Sport model that has an NRR of 22.

It also (From their web site) "employs built-in directional microphones that amplify range commands and other ambient sounds to a safe 82 dB, providing more natural listening and enhances communication. For protection, Impact Sport actively listens and automatically shuts off amplification when ambient sound reaches 82 dB, effectively blocking out hazardous noise."
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Pro ears has the Pro Tac Mag Gold NRR 33 electronic muff. They are pricey tho in the neighborhood of $340. They also have passive muffs with NRR 33 for around $40. I have Tinius in my left ear from shooting one day last October. I have always worn muffs but that day I didn't. It has gotten better and I don't really notice it anymore but I don't go around loud noise without protection now. I wear muffs I got from Lowes NRR ~30 when I shoot and I always have a pair of plugs nearby just in case I need them. I even wore them to the last concert I went to, Van Halen, and actually enjoyed the concert more than I thought I would.

Sponsored Links