Old dog, New trick.

Old dog, New trick.

This is a discussion on Old dog, New trick. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you know, I haven't been a believer in mounting lights or lasers on your defensive weapons. I have also been pretty adamant ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Old dog, New trick.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

Old dog, New trick.

As some of you know, I haven't been a believer in mounting lights or lasers on your defensive weapons. I have also been pretty adamant about this in the past, and still do believe that, if not used properly, they can and do give away your position.
    With that said, I also believe that shot placement is very important, but can't be relied upon when your adrenaline is pumping, you have tunnel vision and (because of natural body reactions) can only focus on the actual threat at the time, can't hear correctly...... and so on. Also, I wear contact lenses, but not to bed, and without my glasses I have a hard time. Therefore I have made a decision.

And that decision is Crimson Trace Laser grips for my G23. Got them, installed them and sighted them in and I now believe that they are a great tool.

I decided to get the rear grip activated model as to not add any extra trigger finger movements that can be forgotten. I will say that I'm glad I got them. I don't have to activate the laser until the instant I am ready to fire (therefore not giving myself away) and I don't have to focus on the front sight or be able to acquire a traditional sight picture to see EXACTLY where my point of impact will be. I can also clearly see where I am aiming, without my glasses. They let me focus on the threat and the red dot instead of the front sight.

I am proof, you can teach an old dog new tricks! I now see how they can give me a clear advantage. And because they are laser GRIPS, I don't have to buy new holsters.

Im going to get my wife some for her G27 as soon as I can get back home!

Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Good article, thank you.

My only beef with CT is their ferrous metal set screws. After a short time of carry, you've got flash rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    My only beef with CT is their ferrous metal set screws. After a short time of carry, you've got flash rust.
    That never entered my mind. The only set screws on this particular model is the windage and elevation adgustment screws and they are in a prime location for moisture. I will hit them with my silicone rag often and will deal with that as it comes.

I don't know if there are any other parts inside that could be prone to this also. Time will tell.

VIP Member
    It's a sight for sore eyes.
    Attached Images
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Good on you for allowing yourself to "see the light."

All my defensive handguns have CT lasers. They are a great tool to have.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

How does it affect your grip? I am considering them for my Glock 30sf, but was concerned it would make the grip too thick.
    I'm looking forward to Crimson Trace's green laser's.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    How does it affect your grip? I am considering them for my Glock 30sf, but was concerned it would make the grip too thick.
    Actually, I do not think CT yet makes one for the G30SF. That's the reason I bought a regular G30 instead recently.

I find that the lasergrips improve the "feel" of the grip in my hand, by filling out the grip in the palm with their battery compartments. I do note that, with the lasergrips, I am no longer able to use the stock slide release lever with my thumb - it just doesn't reach. I have not bothered to get the factory Glock extended slide release, since I train to always use the overhand or slingshot method of releasing the slide anyway.

Hope that helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    - I put a drop of Gunzilla on the screws. Haven't had an issue with rust on any of my 4 CT lasers.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    It does make the grip a little bigger but it doesent bother me. As 10thmtn said, they fill a void in your palm area that doesnt feel bad at all. I am already used to them and have shot about 200 rounds since I installed them.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Actually, I do not think CT yet makes one for the G30SF. That's the reason I bought a regular G30 instead recently.

I find that the lasergrips improve the "feel" of the grip in my hand, by filling out the grip in the palm with their battery compartments. I do note that, with the lasergrips, I am no longer able to use the stock slide release lever with my thumb - it just doesn't reach. I have not bothered to get the factory Glock extended slide release, since I train to always use the overhand or slingshot method of releasing the slide anyway.

Hope that helps!
    I like the grip with the laser also. I hadnt noticed that I couldnt reach the slidestop until I read your post but that doesent bother me either. I guess I was trained not to use it too.

As for my G30SF,... yea, I want to put grips on it too......hummm.

Sponsored Links