Looking for a range bag - Page 2

Looking for a range bag

This is a discussion on Looking for a range bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried four different caliber pistols, 100 to 200 rounds of ammo for each of them, several magazines, two pair of ear muffs, some towels ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for a range bag

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I've carried four different caliber pistols, 100 to 200 rounds of ammo for each of them, several magazines, two pair of ear muffs, some towels and a bottle of water or two in my Midway bag to the range, and it's never hiccuped.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I originally bought the Midway competition size bag and ended up buying the compact later. I use the large bag to store all my extra magazines and gear and the compact makes a perfect range bag.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Really and honestly, ammo is most easily transported separate from your other gear in a dedicated heavy-duty ammo-bag/pouch or ammo boxes. Excellent-condition military-surplus tins and plastic ammo boxes can be readily ordered from a number of online vendors and are also usually stacked up at your local gun/outdoors shops, which may carry them for a couple of bucks more mark-up.
    A wheeled cooler is another alternative to lugging ammo around. Lo-key as well. Who's gonna suspect you've got 2K rounds in there?

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Yeah, but you wouldn't be tacticool, then, would you? Wait, or maybe you would....

I agree, I actually am looking around at various wheeled tool-carts for that. I'm already toting around a cooler for most classes, and I unfortunately can't fit two in my rather small trunk!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ Yeah, but you wouldn't be tacticool, then, would you? Wait, or maybe you would....
    You could always shoot it with a digital camo....

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ ROFL!

I was thinking more along the lines of tactical matte black.

Besides, it would be really bad to lose my ammo at the range, when I can't find it because of the camo!

Distinguished Member
    I have one of the Midway bags, they are a great bag and they are BIG. For me it's really too big and bulky for a quick trip to the range.

Recently I bought one of these LAPG 3-day backpacks and a couple of these Midway USA pistol cases. Since it's a backpack, it's easy to carry and not bulky, all the usual stuff fits in the front compartments (eyes, ears, tools, towel, small cleaning kit), I can keep some targets in the bigger compartment along with ammo and the pistol cases. On the molle outside I can stick my sunglasses between them, pens, markers and other doo-dads. My first aid kit also attaches to one side and I got a molle water bottle cooler for the other.

So for $30 for the backpack and 2x $10 for the pistol cases, it's a pretty decent range bag. Unfortunately the backpacks are backordered until July. I actually ordered two several months ago and was lucky that black was in stock at the time, but I'm still waiting on my OD one.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

unnamed.jpg

I'm not normally one for 5.11 gear (this is all I have) but I really like their range bag. It is large but will work well for 300-400 rds, 3-4 guns and a bottle of water.

5.11 Inc 59049 Range Ready Bag Range Bag
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I've recently picked up a couple bags, one big and one smaller, from Cabelas. I think they are marketed more for general use but they are excellent for guns/range. Lots of little pockets and storage areas which I like.
    Small one, good for a little ammo and maybe one full size gun, Is called Cabelas carry on gear bag
    Big one could fit quite a bit of gear,lots of pockets, called Cabelas deluxe gear bag
    Both can be found on search on their website.
    NRA Life Member

The L.A. Police Gear Bail out Bag works pretty good as a range bag as well. It has pockets that work for most of the gear you need to take. Right now they are $20
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Right now, I just use an ole backpack I used for school, but I need to get something new. I really like the backpack style bags, they are a lot easier to carry for me. That 3 day bag looks nice, but it's a little big for my needs. The search continues!
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Distinguished Member
    I gotta tell ya, I went to Midway, and almost bought their range bag, until I got to checkout.

Shipping doubled the price of the order! I'll pass...

Anyone try THESE bulldog bags? Seem to have good reviews on amazon and I get free 2 day shipping.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    Sears almost always has tool bags for CHEAP on sale. They are awesome for guns and accessories.
    Ditto, I picked up a Lowes brand bag awhile back for another use. Now using it for carrying stuff to the range.

Going this way will save you a lot of $$ on so called "range bags"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    3rd the motion on Midway. I even got mine on sale online. Check this out:

Midway Range Bag

I love mine .. not too big, not too small, and very well-constructed. Of course, if you have money you're trying to burn up, get one like kapnketl's.
    True, a little pricey but I got it on sale. BTW, every time you go to the range and pull the trigger you are "burning money"

But seriously, think about it. I put 2 pistols worth $1500 not counting equipment in the bag and shoot 200 rounds at a cost of at $200 each trip. Makes the price differential in the bag not seem like much.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links