Looking for a range bag

This is a discussion on Looking for a range bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for an affordable range bag for my wife and I to use. It will be carrying 2 sets of hearing and eye ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for a range bag

Looking for a range bag

I am looking for an affordable range bag for my wife and I to use. It will be carrying 2 sets of hearing and eye protection and ammo and 2-4 pistols as well as a couple of range day essentials. Any ideas on things that would work? I've looked at some options but most don't have good pictures so I was just looking for some advice. Thanks guys

2. Remove Ads

I have two. A Winchester brand from Walmart that is now my truck bag and i got one for my birthday from midway USA. Its awesome. I believe it was only like $35-40. Well worth the $$$

Sent from my DROID RAZR

MidwayUSA makes great range bags, very high quality, excellent features, and on sale right now, IIRC.
    ponchsox and shockwave like this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have this bag, my use is very similar to yours. Room for two pistols, ammo, magazines and two sets of muffs and extras:

RANGE BAGS - Brownells
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Got mine from Academy Sports, it works great.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

3rd the motion on Midway. I even got mine on sale online. Check this out:

Midway Range Bag

I love mine .. not too big, not too small, and very well-constructed. Of course, if you have money you're trying to burn up, get one like kapnketl's.

From reading the description on the midway competition it seemed huge, but the compact looks pretty good. Just wondered if anyone had a pic of what it looks like open or just another view of it so I can get a better idea of its size. Thanks for the responses guys!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Can't say enough good things about the Midway bag. You'll be very happy with it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

+1 for midway USA range bag. it fits everything, especially when i want to shoot a variety of guns and ammo. has ample space for everything. high quality construction and materials.

Another +1 for the midway bag. Plenty of room and pockets to out in all i need. And the middle section with its pull out that has moveable dividers is a treat. Not to mention the 2 removeable side pouches for hand guns. Mine was a Valentine's day gift and i would definatly say it is worth the money

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Sears almost always has tool bags for CHEAP on sale. They are awesome for guns and accessories.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Quote Originally Posted by Magg View Post
    From reading the description on the midway competition it seemed huge, but the compact looks pretty good. Just wondered if anyone had a pic of what it looks like open or just another view of it so I can get a better idea of its size. Thanks for the responses guys!
    The bottom of mine is "paved" with five boxes of 50-count .40-cal ammo. They fit right in there perfect, so that should give you a feel for the bottom size. The height is about 14", more than enough for two earmuffs, eye protection, etc. The gun itself fits into side compartments built into the inside of the bag (can do one on each side), and there are two zippered outer compartments, one of which is lined with mag holders. Buy one, you won't regret it at $30 plus shipping. I bought some small cleaning items to make the shipping go farther.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    MidwayUSA makes great range bags, very high quality, excellent features, and on sale right now, IIRC.
    Get this one. It's awesome and a great bargain. I've carried upwards of 75 pounds of junk in it for two years and it has been super. This is four guns, 1000 rounds, eyes, ears, binoculars, cleaning kit, targets, tools, magazines, everything....

Thanks guys that was exactly what I was looking for. Will be ordering this today!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Magg, MidwayUSA has their own video of the bag:

MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag - YouTube

That should give you a good idea, but here's a fellow shooter's written description:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruenor
    There are 2 padded pockets (Part of the removable staging bag), and two padded pouches that fit into pockets in the range bag. So no not in their original cases, but into separate zipper closed pouches. (Think Gun Rugs)

The side of the range bag has individual pockets for 8 magazines, and there are 4 more magazine pockets in the staging bag

For me, when I load in three pistols, I use both of the supplied zippered closed pouches, plus one of Midway's "Tactical Pistol Gun Case" - Tactical Pistol Gun Case . The former two go on one side of the take-out staging bag, the "Tactical Pistol Gun Case" goes on the other side of it. I stack ammo bricks inside the staging bag, which I top with my magazine loaders (UpLula and HKS) and eyes.

The main 8-slot magazine pocket is filled with magazines (easy for me, since I only really shoot one make/model ), and opposite to that are "webbing" slots in which I've inserted a multi-tool, a pair of pliers, a couple of screwdrivers, a pencil, a pocket knife, and a flashlight.

In the two big pockets that counterbalance the magazine pocket, on the other side of the bag, I keep two sets of ears (also a pair of Surefire EarPros, but they really take up minimal space) plus the batteries needed to keep them and my flashlights/tac-lights running.

One of the end pockets is dedicated to some compact pistol cleaning gear. The other end is dedicated to similar gear that keeps me in the game (i.e. antiseptic wipes and hand cleanser, BandAids, Tylenol/Advil/Imodium, spare set of my prescription glasses, eyeglasses service kit, etc.).

Be careful, though - it's very, very easy to overload this big, tough bag. For single-day classes in the 500-round count range (which means bringing 600), except for a cooler of snacks and drinks and some spare clothes, it's literally big enough for all you'll need. If you're looking to bring more than 700 rounds of ammo, I'd seriously consider splitting the weight load and lugging an ammo can or another bag, to save yourself the strain of having it all in one. Search around for reviews of their large "Competition" range-bag, and you'll see that the most often logged complaint is that it can get too heavy to lug around.

Really and honestly, ammo is most easily transported separate from your other gear in a dedicated heavy-duty ammo-bag/pouch or ammo boxes. Excellent-condition military-surplus tins and plastic ammo boxes can be readily ordered from a number of online vendors and are also usually stacked up at your local gun/outdoors shops, which may carry them for a couple of bucks more mark-up.

I've been using this bag for well over a year and a half. During this time, I'd routinely lugged it out to the range and to various training classes (last year, I shot about 40K rounds and logged over 80-hours of handgun work). It honestly doesn't seem any worse-for-wear aside from a few bits of dirt on the bottom. One tip that I do have for you is to open up the plastic at the end of the paracord pull tabs and hit the combo with a dab of SuperGlue or the like, to bond everything together permanently, otherwise, the tabs do tend to eventually work their way loose, over time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links