Best Voice Recorder

Best Voice Recorder

This is a discussion on Best Voice Recorder within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an older Sony digital voice recorder. I am curious what folks feel is the best Digital Voice Recorder out there. Qualities to judge ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Best Voice Recorder

VIP Member

Best Voice Recorder

I have an older Sony digital voice recorder. I am curious what folks feel is the best Digital Voice Recorder out there. Qualities to judge on are size, voice quality and ease of transferring files to a computer. I appreciate any input.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I suggest any of the Nuance-certified digital voice recorders, as they can be used with Dragon NaturallySpeaking to record audio and then have Dragon transcribe the spoken words.

I used to carry an Olympus that can be plugged in to PC with external microphone that is easily hidden before I found a very good app for my phone that can't easily be deleted. I also have company & personal vehicles equipped with surveillance similar to LEOs cruisers but with 360 degree coverage.

I pretty Law Abiding & not looking to test intentionally so No LEO issues but has come in handy with other situations.

Administrator
    Olympus. And if you don't get the latest and the greatest (with 17 bazillion hours of record time and a bunch of new features that you have absolutely no use for) you can catch a great deal on a spanky new one on Ebay.
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I like my Sony from walmart ($60) - sensitive to voice w/o background noise, lots of time, microSD compatible, micro usb port, multiple folders. Depending on how you intend to use it, ease of starting a recording w/o looking could be important as well.

If you are going to use this for recording stops made on you by law enforcement be sure to check the laws.

While the below website is not a legal one it is a good place to start:
    Introduction | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    If you are going to use this for recording stops made on you by law enforcement be sure to check the laws.

While the below website is not a legal one it is a good place to start:
    Introduction | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
    That was not my primary plan for the recorder, but you are right on the need to be up on the laws of the state you are in. I travel a bit and have to know the laws for several issues for those states. Thanks for the heads up though.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

If you have an iphone or itouch, the "italk" ap is what I use. It is free and gives good quality recordings.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I strongly recommend these 2. Both are of excellent quality and features but you will pay for them on Olympus model. The Sony is actually quite good for 49$.

Olympus WS-700M

Sony ICD-PX312

For what you want it for, I wouldn't mess with PHONE apps etc. By the time you get to the app, start record etc. and for whatever reason you may need the phone it would be a pain. Especially if you have an IPHONE. You would need iTunes just to get the damn thing off the device. With a dedicated recorder you can just record to SD card. And if you ever got caught or needed to turning your recording I'd rather give just a recorder than my phone LOL
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Yup, Ruben that's the sony I've got - apparently paid a little too much tho'.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    If you have an iphone or itouch, the "italk" ap is what I use. It is free and gives good quality recordings.
    I have an iphone and will give this a try before buying another recorder. Thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I strongly recommend these 2. Both are of excellent quality and features but you will pay for them on Olympus model. The Sony is actually quite good for 49$.

Olympus WS-700M

Sony ICD-PX312

For what you want it for, I wouldn't mess with PHONE apps etc. By the time you get to the app, start record etc. and for whatever reason you may need the phone it would be a pain. Especially if you have an IPHONE. You would need iTunes just to get the damn thing off the device. With a dedicated recorder you can just record to SD card. And if you ever got caught or needed to turning your recording I'd rather give just a recorder than my phone LOL
    That little Sony looks like an updated version of what i have. I get a lot of hiss in the recording and getting the files from the recorder to my computer is slow. frustrating and the provided app is nearly useless. The Olympus you linked has some pretty good reveiws on Amazon. If the iphone app Badey recommended does not get it for me, I may try this Olympus.

I like mine on the smart phone my company gave me. Works great

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Sponsored Links