OC sprayed my 8th felon of the year

This is a discussion on OC sprayed my 8th felon of the year within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm 10thmtn, I think the fear of what it's, has about as much reality as the what it's about using your own ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: OC sprayed my 8th felon of the year

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    10thmtn, I think the fear of what it's, has about as much reality as the what it's about using your own handloads. Really no substance.
    I don't disagree.

I have had some blowback with OC during training. My main concern is contaminating myself and not being able to effectively use my gun if the lethal option ends up being necessary.

I would be more inclined to use OC on dogs and such.

There's no "right" answer. Good food for thought.

My wife does not carry her LCP as often as I would like. Maybe she can be the OC carrier when we are out together, and I can be the lethal option back-up. Hmmm...going to have to talk to her about that idea.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

At least you get to carry OC. I did a special duty assignment at Ft. Lewis working in their medium-security prison and we could carry NOTHING! If one of our 'guests' became combative you had to blow your whistle and hold your own until other guards came to help. Luckily this was a rare occurance...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Back in the day I carried Mace on the job , it was not nearly as good as OC. The gel foam type I hear is better for blowback.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

My wife got one of those little keychain things a long time ago (I dont remember the brand) and I did a quick test squirt at least 10 feet away from anyone (I was the closest to the spray). Both my wife and daughter that have asthma started having difficulty breathing and I didn't really notice a thing. I decided that I would not be able to spray anything like that near them.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

My Fox Labs is on me always when I'm out of the house. As is my M&P.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I carry OC and a tactical flashlight as my less lethal use of force weapons. Had Zimmerman had those options, whether or not his actions were justifiable, he would not have to deal with the ramifications that much when dealing with the unarmed but possibly dangerous Martin.

VIP Member
    In full agreement with Glockman, but with a tiny cautionary that doesn't apply to him because
    he'd probably have broken some vital part on the big guy even without the OC.

Be prepared to defend that canister against a parry or a grab, as you need to be with a knife or a gun.
    I'm sure Golockman was. I'm fairly sure many of the LEOs here would be; I'm not so sure most of
    the rest of us would.

Glockmnan, as others have said, thank you for your service and of course for your presence here.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Or,you could alway's carry a Watch-Elephant around with you,knowing it has your back.

I'm pretty sure we can't have dye in Michigan and we're restricted to 11 grams. I've thought about picking up a keychain version from Fox Labs but haven't run across one in the store yet. There was a pretty good thread on this a while back.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Back in the day I carried Mace on the job , it was not nearly as good as OC. The gel foam type I hear is better for blowback.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

The issue with the thicker substances is they allow the attacker to scoop it off their face and fling it back at you. Some newer product turn to liquid faster but so its less of a concern. They also don't shoot as far as a stream and can be affected by the wind more so than a stream. They do have their place though and are generally used for confined or indoor spaces where HVAC/collateral contamination may be an issue (malls, theaters, jails, hospitals, etc...).
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I have my "spray" with me all the time, as well as my weapon. Hubby got us both one and for Christmas that year got one for daughter and one for son in law (since they don't have firearms). Carry it in my hand when walking to parking lot, but have Ruger LCP in pocket of jeans. Have been doing this for years now.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

One thing to keep in mind is what type of fluid the OC is carried in. Foam types and oil base solutions can clog up the nozzle and not work when needed. The water based solution is the way to go.

Upon purchase, take the OC to a suitable place and spray a one second burst to make sure it works. Then, turn it upside down, and spray the remaining fluid in the nozzle out to clear it. This keeps it from building up and solidifying over a long period of unuse. The water based solution that I use has a shelf life of 5 years and is dated.

They are generally good for about 8 , two second bursts. I replace mine after I use it on 2 people.
    I had to be sprayed with it for qualification years ago....I would rather be shot in the foot, it burnt me that bad.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

That'd be tough to endure, having to be sprayed with that stuff.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    That'd be tough to endure, having to be sprayed with that stuff.
    Honestly I tell you, the Gas Chamber in the Marine Corp is a cakewalk compared to OC. With CS, as soon as you hit fresh air, it clears up. With OC , it gets absorbed through you pores, readily absorbed because it's a food product. It was hell for me.
    .....although, when I had dinner that night, I had an unnatural craving for hot sauce on my spaghetti.
    gunthorp and Old School like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    My wife got one of those little keychain things a long time ago (I dont remember the brand) and I did a quick test squirt at least 10 feet away from anyone (I was the closest to the spray). Both my wife and daughter that have asthma started having difficulty breathing and I didn't really notice a thing. I decided that I would not be able to spray anything like that near them.
    Funny you mention that. My son has asthma as well. I guess no OC for me or the wife.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links