Flashlight info/recommendations... - Page 2

Flashlight info/recommendations...

This is a discussion on Flashlight info/recommendations... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up this cheap one made by Cree I wasnt expecting much but was I wrong! 900 lumens really bright, out does my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Flashlight info/recommendations...

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I just picked up this cheap one made by Cree
    I wasnt expecting much but was I wrong! 900 lumens really bright, out does my surefire 200 lumen light. I have been using it nightly walking my dog in the field for the past three weeks. So for the $14.00 I paid for it was worth it even if it only last for a few months.

I also bought the UltraFire Protected 18650 4000mAh Rechargeable Batteries

Amazon.com: Ultrafire WF 501b Cree Xml T6 3 Mode Cree Led Flashlight 900 Lumens: Home Improvement

Oh a Bonus with this light it's the same diameter as my light mounted to my shotgun including my pressure switch. I dont know if it would hold up as shotgun light but it will mount.

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    One can take a 3 - 5 D-cell mag light, and for about $20 add the LED bulb for a great flashlight around the house...also covers as a club.
    +1 Great light/club

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    I just picked up this cheap one made by Cree
    I wasnt expecting much but was I wrong! 900 lumens really bright, out does my surefire 200 lumen light. I have been using it nightly walking my dog in the field for the past three weeks. So for the $14.00 I paid for it was worth it even if it only last for a few months.

I also bought the UltraFire Protected 18650 4000mAh Rechargeable Batteries

Amazon.com: Ultrafire WF 501b Cree Xml T6 3 Mode Cree Led Flashlight 900 Lumens: Home Improvement

Oh a Bonus with this light it's the same diameter as my light mounted to my shotgun including my pressure switch. I dont know if it would hold up as shotgun light but it will mount.
    This little light looks promising....thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I've been a flashlight junkie for over two years now. Probably bought 100+ lights, mostly as gifts. But I've kept 30 or 40 in my own collection. Many of the newer LED lights are awesome! And some are simply jaw-dropping.

I'm always on the lookout for the 'latest and greatest' and I recently bought a Klarus XT11 flashlight. I gotta say, this is a terrific light. It pumps out over 600 lumens and it has two buttons on the end, with the smaller button allowing instant access to strobe, while the bigger button comes on in HIGH. If you hit the big button, then you can hit the smaller button to cycle through HIGH>MED>LOW modes. This light utilizes two CR123 batteries or one 18650 rechargeable battery, so it's nice to have the battery options. I bought mine on eBay for $90, and it came with the light and a holster, along with two 18650 batteries and a charger.

Honestly, I think this would be a great package deal for someone like you to start off with. I am absolutely convinced you'll be happy with the light. And it will give you a good feel for power levels, battery types and size of lights.

Here's a link to a full review: Klarus XT11 (XM-L U2 - 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

Oh btw - join CandlePower Forums while you're reading that review

Good luck!

-
    Battery Junctiuon has Klarus on sale right now.
    Also I have updated all of my old but reliable and rugged aluminum housing (MagLights) flashlights here.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

My EDC is a Fenix LD10 R5. 100 lumens, strobe, 3 lower lumen outputs, and S.O.S. mode. Just fits in my fist with a strikish bezel. Clip keeps it on my beltloop all day long but would fit in a pocket ok. Comes with a belt holster if you desire. Batteries? Well how about battery, yup just one and you are probably surrounded by them right now (AA). Less than $50.00.
    Not the be all end all of flashlights but it is a handy addition to my everyday life.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Here are the two I use. The $69 PC10 uses one rcr123 rechargeable battery, 550 lumens, great shorty for the pocket. The $260 TM11 uses 4 18650's for 2000 lumens.

Gunthorp Firearm Sighting and Optics
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    This little light looks promising....thanks for the link.
    Yeah not bad is also has SOS strobe, reg strobe, and low, med, and high. I just ordered a couple more.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Yeah not bad is also has SOS strobe, reg strobe, and low, med, and high. I just ordered a couple more.
    This may be the same one for $12.70.

UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The Cree XR-E emitter is an older technology that puts out 200-250 lumens. I don't know where they get 900. The XM-L emitter in the PC-10 can generate 650 lumens. The Ultrafire is very inexpensive, but much larger than the PC-10. They both have advantages.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    This may be the same one for $12.70.

UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The Cree XR-E emitter is an older technology that puts out 200-250 lumens. I don't know where they get 900. The XM-L emitter in the PC-10 can generate 650 lumens. The Ultrafire is very inexpensive, but much larger than the PC-10. They both have advantages.
    It does look the same, and I'm with you on the lumens thing. All I know is that it's brighter then my surefire which is 200 lumens. I dont put a lot of faith in the discriptions from products from overseas, which I wasnt expecting much, but after it showed up and seen how bright it is, it became my favorite for now.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Maglight xl50
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

1st Always try to buy American.

2nd easily replaceable AA batteries

3rd waterproof

4th good test/reviews from knowledgeable sources. A good warranty does no good when SHTF.
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

A good S&W light option

I wanted to mention one more light. It's rated at 100 lumens, but I swear it has to be more. I use Duracell Procell batteries in it and they last a long time also. Anyhow, I liked it well enough that I wrote a review. Just another one to consider.

Smith & Wesson LED Tactical Flashlight Review | Frugal Homesteaders

Patriot_RAM

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for in a flashlight. That being said, it IS a bit of a sliding scale, and there are some GREAT values out there. I bought a Smith & Wesson LED (AA) light that's rated at 100 lumens, but I swear it has to be more. This light competes with a lot of the Surefire lights, but it's under $40 bucks. It's solid, rugged, VERY bright, and good alkaline batteries hold up well in it. I use Duracell procell in mine and they last a long time when considering the amount of light it puts out.

I love the thing, so I wrote a review on it with some photos, etc. Probably worth a quick glance, it's a great value and solid product.
    Smith & Wesson LED Tactical Flashlight Review | Frugal Homesteaders

Patriot_RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Maglight xl50
    Another vote for the XL50.

Less than $20 shipped, 100+ lumens, 3 AAA batteries, Maglite quality, and made in the USA.

Great light for the price IMHO.

I still use my old g2 surefire that I was issued in the army.... Works fine for me even though i know there are better ones out there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links