Flashlight info/recommendations...

This is a discussion on Flashlight info/recommendations... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to change out the old flashlights in my collection (I still have the old rubber coated D battery contraptions that I probably ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Flashlight info/recommendations...

Flashlight info/recommendations...

I am looking to change out the old flashlights in my collection (I still have the old rubber coated D battery contraptions that I probably stole from my dad). Anyway, I have been looking at several "tactical" style lights to place around the house, in the car, and near my defense weapons....however, I am curious as to what is standard "look for" in these type lights. It seems you can get basic S&W style LED lights that carry 75-100 lumens for about $25...or you can get 500-1000 lumen lights for about 4 times the price. I am looking at getting 4 or 5 of these and just curious if the lumen power difference is nothing more than illumination dick measuring or if there is a truly practical reason to warrant an extra $75 a pop on these.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

I have a number of Fenix lights that I got off of 4sevens.com that I really, really like. But, my recent trip to my gunstore has me completely blown away...

They have a flashlight line called Extreme Beam that have some really high lumen, focusable lights for around 50 bucks that are awesome (around 300 lumens if I remember correctly). For around 100 bucks, you can get some really, powerful lights that are still very tactical. I honestly haven't googled the company yet, but I did use one in the store and it was bad assss. So, for the money, I recommend Fenix, Quark (4sevens.com brand), and the new, Extreme Beam...and if I were you, looking to make several purchases, I would go straight for the Extreme Beam. You can't go wrong with any of them, really. And just FYI, I always use the CR123 versions rather than the AA or AAA.

I have the Quarck Mini which isn't even twice the length of battery and puts out 160-180 lumens, if I remember correctly. And that light cost me 40 bucks where the Novatac would have run me $120. The Fenix version of the Mini cost $60, so that was still way lower than the Novatac, and I think it has more lumen output as well than both the Mini and Novatac. I got my father a slightly larger Fenix that puts out over 800 lumens at maximum setting, so I told him that he can light up his entire two acres without having to step off the porch. That light, in addition to another "hunter" model Fenix that I have, have a dimmer button that lets you intensify or darken the light output with a quick press. This is nice because you don't have to have maximum output killing your battery if you are just messing around in the garage or camp site etc... but with a quick press of the button you can light up the whole area or penetrate to dark areas in the distance.

A good flashlight will always be worth the price. A piercing spotlight coming through the darkness will discourage a lot of would-be thieves without you ever having to put yourself in a dangerous vicinity. And in the dead of night, 200+ lumens hitting you square in the face is downright scary. So, I hope I helped you out a little. Feel free to bounce any other questions at me concerning the specific model of lights I have, etc...

I've been a flashlight junkie for over two years now. Probably bought 100+ lights, mostly as gifts. But I've kept 30 or 40 in my own collection. Many of the newer LED lights are awesome! And some are simply jaw-dropping.

I'm always on the lookout for the 'latest and greatest' and I recently bought a Klarus XT11 flashlight. I gotta say, this is a terrific light. It pumps out over 600 lumens and it has two buttons on the end, with the smaller button allowing instant access to strobe, while the bigger button comes on in HIGH. If you hit the big button, then you can hit the smaller button to cycle through HIGH>MED>LOW modes. This light utilizes two CR123 batteries or one 18650 rechargeable battery, so it's nice to have the battery options. I bought mine on eBay for $90, and it came with the light and a holster, along with two 18650 batteries and a charger.

Honestly, I think this would be a great package deal for someone like you to start off with. I am absolutely convinced you'll be happy with the light. And it will give you a good feel for power levels, battery types and size of lights.

Here's a link to a full review: Klarus XT11 (XM-L U2 - 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

Oh btw - join CandlePower Forums while you're reading that review

Good luck!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I can also vouch for 4sevens.com. Great lights, fast service and shipping, free shipping. After all the hurricanes of 2004 hit Central Florida I became a big believer in lights everywhere. I keep one in just about every room, both vehicles and a Quark Mini is in my pocket at all times so small you never know it's there. I also use the CR123 versions as alkaline batteries always seem to be dead by the time you need them.

One can take a 3 - 5 D-cell mag light, and for about $20 add the LED bulb for a great flashlight around the house...also covers as a club.
    P95 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I myself am a 4sevens and fenix fan. Have had zero problems out of mine. The 4sevens has been edc for a couple of years now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Almost forgot, if your using this in camping or outdoor activities go bright. If not don't go for the 500 lumen bad boys. They will blind you in your house.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I myself am a 4sevens and fenix fan. Have had zero problems out of mine. The 4sevens has been edc for a couple of years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Almost forgot, if your using this in camping or outdoor activities go bright. If not don't go for the 500 lumen bad boys. They will blind you in your house.
    This.

My first light was a Fenix TK12 which I ended up losing when it slid out of a pocket somewhere. It was a great light, but too big to pocket carry. I severely underestimated the importance of compactness when looking for an EDC light. I know you are talking about buying lights to keep in multiple locations, but the best light is the one you have on you. I really wish I had mine the night I chased some teens from the church playground at 2am while still in my dress clothes from an event.

So when I replaced it, I got a 4Sevens Quark AA with a 14500 rechargeable lithium battery. With the 4.2v battery, you have a light that puts out ~180 lumens that doesn't take up much more room in your pocket than Chapstik. Plus, you can always switch it out to alkaline/NiMH AA's, like I did on a recent trip where I set it on low and stood it on it's tail as a nightlight for a couple nights.

But, this Christmas, I also got a Quark 1232 R5 tactical that now resides at my bedside. It has a bigger beam than the origional Quarks that's better for close in work. Like Matt pointed out just on the two 123's, 230 lumens are too bright in the house. I have it set on high (85 lm) for bumps in the night and can go to turbo with a twist of the bezel. And when I say too bright, I mean when you use it properly (momentary bumps to identify targets without giving too much of yourself away), anything brighter and your eyes have trouble adjusting between flashes. I guess there is a reason most Surefires are around 90 lumens.

And as a bonus, 4Sevens flashlights are modular, so if I want to swap out the AA body onto my R5 head and tactical tail, I can (and have). Parts within each line "Lego" together for interoperability and quick configuration changes. (Just keep max voltage ratings on the head in mind.)

But if you're looking for a porch/truck/light up the coons down in the creek bed light, the 500+ lm range is more appropriate.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicMonkey View Post
    This.

My first light was a Fenix TK12 which I ended up losing when it slid out of a pocket somewhere. It was a great light, but too big to pocket carry. I severely underestimated the importance of compactness when looking for an EDC light. I know you are talking about buying lights to keep in multiple locations, but the best light is the one you have on you. I really wish I had mine the night I chased some teens from the church playground at 2am while still in my dress clothes from an event.

So when I replaced it, I got a 4Sevens Quark AA with a 14500 rechargeable lithium battery. With the 4.2v battery, you have a light that puts out ~180 lumens that doesn't take up much more room in your pocket than Chapstik. Plus, you can always switch it out to alkaline/NiMH AA's, like I did on a recent trip where I set it on low and stood it on it's tail as a nightlight for a couple nights.

But, this Christmas, I also got a Quark 1232 R5 tactical that now resides at my bedside. It has a bigger beam than the origional Quarks that's better for close in work. Like Matt pointed out just on the two 123's, 230 lumens are too bright in the house. I have it set on high (85 lm) for bumps in the night and can go to turbo with a twist of the bezel. And when I say too bright, I mean when you use it properly (momentary bumps to identify targets without giving too much of yourself away), anything brighter and your eyes have trouble adjusting between flashes. I guess there is a reason most Surefires are around 90 lumens.

And as a bonus, 4Sevens flashlights are modular, so if I want to swap out the AA body onto my R5 head and tactical tail, I can (and have). Parts within each line "Lego" together for interoperability and quick configuration changes. (Just keep max voltage ratings on the head in mind.)

But if you're looking for a porch/truck/light up the coons down in the creek bed light, the 500+ lm range is more appropriate.
    Man I love my tk12! Sucks that you lost yours man. I have mine mounted on my ar because like you said its truly to large to edc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I have a Fenix TK-15 and love it. One standard I heard was stick to 65+ Lumens. I can't give you the exact source but it made sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Administrator
    I bought a few more NEBO RedLines after I bought my first one and used it for a while.

Heck they work. Are nice and bright. I stoke them with AAA Batteries Lithium. $20 some bucks on Ebay.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

RKM
    I carry a Streamlight ProTac 2L. $50 for a 180 lumen light. Fairly small size. I have Streamlight PolyTac's on my Rifles and TLR1's for my pistols. I like Streamlights.

I think the Streamlight PolyTac is a great bang for buck option. High quality, 120 lumen for under $40.

I've had an Olight T10 for a couple of years now and really like it. Some of the things I thought about were - is it small enough that I will carry it every day, adjustability as I wanted the ability to blind an opponent (during the day) and the ability to use as an everyday light, strobe, and last brightness remembered. I also went with rechargeable CR123 batteries. The light takes 1 so I ordered 3 - 1 in the light, 1 in pocket, 1 at home; when two are down, I recharge and the one in the light lasts 20 hrs on high so plenty of time. Rechargeable is definitely the way to go no matter how cheap the 123's are.

I'll give a thumbs-up to 4Sevens flashlights. Give them a look, they have several different models that would likely fit your needs.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For high reliability, great light beam/focus, decent lumens and great quality, I generally find myself coming back to this: SolarForce L2 host with 18650 LiIon cell, and a Malkoff M61W drop-in light module. To cut the price of the light module by ~30% or so, I've occasionally gone with a NailBender XP-G module (from the CandlePowerForums web site). One-time purchase of the rechargeable LiIon cells and charger, plus the host/light combos.

For a simpler, more compact, and less expensive alternative, I enjoy the 4Sevens Mini.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links