Power Outage Lights

Power Outage Lights

This is a discussion on Power Outage Lights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am living through the storm induced power outage in West Virginia. our 3 grandchildren, ages 2,4,&6, are visiting from Connecticut. These are some observations: ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GringoEd

Thread: Power Outage Lights

Power Outage Lights

I am living through the storm induced power outage in West Virginia. our 3 grandchildren, ages 2,4,&6, are visiting from Connecticut. These are some observations:
    1. D cell (8 cells) fluorescent camping lantern was the best and most useful light. Has lasted all week, and still going strong.
    2. D cell (2&3cells) flashlights are super. Old technology, but just the right amount of light to help with tasks and locating stuff.
    3. Chemlights (Cyalume & cheap copies) were GREAT to help the grand kids go to sleep. Gives them a sense of control and comfort. We made giving them one before reading bedtime story part of nightly routine. Peace and quiet soon commenced.
    4. Surefire (various sizes) helpful, but lousy endurance and get too hot. Neophyte users just do not do well with the tail cap switch intermittent use concept. Most folks want to turn on a light source and leave it on. Great for the range, not so much for regular chores inside the house. Way too bright.
    5. LED candles (2 X AA cells) are outstanding. Batteries last for months. Warm, flickering low light source.
    6. Could not use candles or kerosene lanterns because of oppressive heat.
    7. Next time: lots more LED lights and on-demand natural gas generator.
    What was your experience and what will you change for the future? Thanks!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Thanks for the good information. Living in Fl, during hurricane season, it's always a good idea to keep some emergency lighting handy.

I was without power in CT last October due to a ice storm for 9 days. I have a few LED AA and AAA lights that fulfilled all of my lighting needs. I wouldn't change too much since I already stock up on Eneloop rechargeables.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the post...
    You can buy (Home Depot/Lowe's) LED bulbs ($20) for those D-Cell flashlights...really bright, does not get hot, and lasts a loooooong time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great tip! Thank you. Ed

I'm glad you and yours are ok. I know quite a few people down there that are looking at getting a natural gas hookup and a generator after all of this. At work, there have been quite a few generators shipping, and I've just assumed they're headed to the WV area.

I've also got a major IOU now from a friend that had me pick up and deliver a reefer trailer to him outside of Morgantown.
    Last edited by tubadude; July 7th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.

VIP Member
    I'd say you are right on the money GringoEd. When the storm first hit we grabbed our go box and took shelter. The chem lights were the first thing we broke out. Cheap, long lasting, and effective area lighting. We don't have the camping lanterns, though I have heard they are very good. We have chosen to standardize on the AA size; led mini-mag lights for max brightness, Gerber led lights for economy. Our emergency radio uses AA batteries as well.

Administrator
    Small kids really find the chemical cold lights to be very comforting and also very distracting because they love fooling around with them. They are non-toxic but , the ones that come furnished with the nylon braided neck cord should have that cord removed and replaced with a simple piece of bakery type string.
    For very small children that nylon cord is tough enough & unbreakable enough to be a potential strangulation hazard.

I have several sets of solar lights that are marketed for walkways. They are cheap and free to charge. The ends fit into plastic bottles and can be placed in halls, rooms, etc.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    We use oil lamps after hurricanes,etc. I often smile knowing these were all my parents had as children.I miss their generation,tough people. Fire hazard? Well,don't knock them over.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Links