Invest in a good GUN belt!

This is a discussion on Invest in a good GUN belt! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the years of reading websites like DefensiveCarry.com I have seen many discussions about gun belts and pretty much ignored them. AFter all I had ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Invest in a good GUN belt!

Invest in a good GUN belt!

Over the years of reading websites like DefensiveCarry.com I have seen many discussions about gun belts and pretty much ignored them. AFter all I had a good Levi's belt that I bought at a local clothing store and it seemed to work fine. But over the past several months I had noticed some "slippage" when I was carrying in a Crossbreed Supertuck, which otherwise is a fine holster.
    Finally after a few embarrassing moments during a trip to the mall that included sneaking behind a clothing rack to get the belt and holster back in place I decided it was time to take another look at those gun belt posts on this and a few related sites.
    I eventually settled on Bullhide Belts (one of this website's sponsors but I am getting nothing in exchange for writing this review). When the belt arrived the other day I could immediately tell the difference in construction and weight compared to the off-the-rack one. This belt is sturdy, well designed and best of all -- it really holds the gun and holster in place! At $65 for a bullhide belt (free shipping) it was just $30 more than what I paid for the Levi's one.
    The bottom line is if you're one of those folks who has bypassed those gun belt posts and decided to just get by -- take another look. The belt is JUST AS IMPORTANT as the holster. Pick whatever brand you want, do some shopping online, go to a gun show if you have to look at these belts but definitely do yourself a favor both for comfort and safety and GET A GOOD BELT.
    Last edited by Orangeman; July 10th, 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Took out emoticons!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A proper belt makes a world of difference in comfort no matter what you carry.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

$30 for a quality Amish one, can't go wrong.

Posted using Tapatalk.

I have 511 tatacl belt a great belt

yes you need a gun belt to make it work. i use the 5.11 dress gun belt. have for many mango seasons. no matter the brand, a gun belt works better than other belts.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member
    Yep, got a bullhide myself. A good belt is a must!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

A good gun belt is as necessary a match to a good holster as a good holster is to a handgun. Save money & be frugal somewhere ELSE. Cancel your premium cable package for a month or two. Get a part time job delivering pizza. Break up with your expensive girlfriend. But please, please, don't pack a cheap holster on a $20 piece of floppy, undetermined animal hide. If you choose to, don't kid yourself. You are NOT prepared for a gunfight. I'd rather carry a mid-grade handgun in good equipment than a Larry Vicker's (Dawson Precision, Night Hawk, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, et al) custom 1911 hanging off a Levi's belt in a cheap Chinese nylon holster. What's your LIFE worth?!?
    MisterAvis and tcox4freedom like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

511 dress belt is a go-to for me as well. It's not the best belt on the planet for many reasons. It does, however, ride comfortably year round, and carries light or heavy rigs well. Durability is marginal and I will replacing it with another of the same soon enough. It is affordable.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

The only problem I have with this sage bit of advice is that you don't know how much it rings true until after you have the gun belt. I am old enough now to learn from others as opposed to the trial and error method I employed as a younger man. I purchased a wilderness instructor belt almost immediately and it worked well enough until my bullhide belt arrived almost 3 months later. I was shocked at the difference that leather bullhide belt made and echo the testimonies of other posters: bullhide belt FTW.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Where can I go look at some in the Cincinnati, Columbus or even Louisville? I don't want to buy one online.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    $30 for a quality Amish one, can't go wrong.

Posted using Tapatalk.
    Haha yep. I only paid $20 for mine.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I ordered mine from 511 last week and it's being delivered today. I'm cheap so I went for the nylon plastic buckle style. Plus it was a closeout. They said it's a TDU belt, whatever that means. The reviews said it worked so I'll give it a shot, no pun intended.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Where can I go look at some in the Cincinnati, Columbus or even Louisville? I don't want to buy one online.
    Well it's a bit more driving, but I believe Bullhide Belts is just outside Akron.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    You will not go wrong with one of the good manufacturers. I personally like Beltman...Gun Belts by The Belt Man

Just read the instructions and follow them to the letter for measuring and you will NOT be disappointed.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Why wouldn't you want to buy a belt online from a reputable maker? Are inches longer/shorter in Northern Ky than in Western Ky? Is your waist oval-shaped? What?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links