Which Fox labs pepper spray? Mark 3 or Mean Green? Cone or Stream?

This is a discussion on Which Fox labs pepper spray? Mark 3 or Mean Green? Cone or Stream? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have pretty much decided on getting some good pepper spray to carry while at work, as I will probably run into more four legged ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which Fox labs pepper spray? Mark 3 or Mean Green? Cone or Stream?

I have pretty much decided on getting some good pepper spray to carry while at work, as I will probably run into more four legged problems then two and also get one for the lady to throw in her purse (why not right? her Kimber pepper spray just expired).

I have also narrowed it down to two Fox labs products...

Mean Green:

and

Mark 3:

Not knowing jack diddly squat about pepper spray other than reading on some sites I am looking for a little help here, I chose these two because of the spring loaded flip top design which is a necessity in my opinion for no accidental discharge and size (smaller for us will be better as long as it gets the job done once). I believe both can be had in a 4"x1 3/8" size. Fox labs also suggests the cone spray for civilian use... comments appreciated! Do I have to worry about this stuff freezing (I work outdoors) or getting too hot?

Also another question, where is a good place to get this stuff online...I don't want an out dated one !

I just made a purchase that arrived a week ago.
    I bought the spring loaded flip top (3 of them) without the die...but I also ordered the Mark 9 Personal (11gr) spray (with the dye) for pocket carry.
    I prefer the stream spray which seems easier to direct. DO buy an extra of anything you get, to try it in the wind. You WILL get a taste of it, just like in real life if you HAD to use it...can you take it?
    JerryMac likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Do you think the mark 9 can be accidentally discharged? I really like the size of that product but worry it can get accidentally activated. I believe I might get the stream myself and the cone for the woman as judging by the use of her pepper blaster, her aim...well...is poor.

Also if you don't mind me asking where did you purchase from and were you satisfied with the service?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I wrote this a while back, it gives some basics for pepper spray if you want to take a look: All about pepper spray.

Both of the sprays you listed are top of the line. I would reconsider getting the cone spray for your wife unless it's mainly for indoor use, if she has to use it outdoors, it's very likely she won't be paying attention to wind direction and get sprayed herself, stream or gel are great for outdoor, but it's your call of course.

Retsupt99 is right, if you aren't very familiar with OC spray you should buy a second can of whatever you get so you have the chance to see how it performs, and be sure to let your wife test it, I normally just tape a piece of paper to the garage at eye level and stand 5 ft back and spray it, then 10 ft back, then 15.

You also need to test the can that you plan on carrying to ensure that it WILL work when the time comes, just give it a very quick spray, a 2oz can will still have plenty left after you test spray it.

Also, there isn't much of a difference between the 2 that you listed. Both are excellent products, you can actually see them tested on people if you search on youtube.

Retsupt: Which model did you get from Fox labs that has no dye?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

sgb
    I like Gel for people myself, for animals I'd go stream.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

First, the Fox Labs is good all around. The Regular 5.3 is a great choice and will serve you well. The green is also good but not as field proven as the regular. In answer to your question on cone or stream, the cone is going to be the better choice unless you plan to practice often with spray. The stream is good when you are able to practice but for everyday civilians the cone is going to give you a far better chance of hitting your target. The small pocket key chain unit WILL discharge in your pocket if given the slightest chance. I have first hand references on this and if he reads this thread he may chime in. It wasn't pretty or comfortable.

The MK3 gives you a much longer stream and more of it compared to the pocket key chain unit and allows for sharing more if there is more than one bad guy or if the one bad guy is greedy.

You got the right choice the first time, congrats!
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

First of all, the Mark 3 is too big for pocket carry IMHO, but I keep it in the door panel of my truck.
    The Mark 9 is perfect for pocket carry. I've carried that type for years and have never had one go off in my pocket as of yet...I do check it often.
    I do replace them every couple of years, and use the old ones for spray practice.
    Personally, I like the stream. If you've practiced with it, then you know exactly what to expect and can be very effective with it.

I say this every time I post about pepper spray...PRACTICE with some on a breezy day. Some WILL blow back, but one needs to know how that feels and how to react with it. You wouldn't want to become more of a victim when/if you use it.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The size is pretty important as it will be in my cargo pocket 90% of the time, which does allow more room than the front pocket of course.

I see there seems to be a difference of opinion as to which cone or stream to get, but everyone has said both products from Fox should serve me well. I'll probably end up getting the 5.3 since it is tried and true.

Any online stores you can recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I say this every time I post about pepper spray...PRACTICE with some on a breezy day. Some WILL blow back, but one needs to know how that feels and how to react with it. You wouldn't want to become more of a victim when/if you use it.OMOYMV
    I agree. I've actually done this multiple times and I haven't ever had any reaction to it, even the spray types, my friend who was even farther away from me however, started coughing bad. I've done everything I could to try to feel the effects of it other than spraying myself directly in the face and not even a runny nose...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Whatever you get, and it doesn't matter if it is the large can or a key chain size, you have to do some
    practice with retrieving it and getting your finger onto to the trigger mechanism while being pressed by
    someone rushing you. It is the same story as the T drill. You have limited time to realize what's happening,
    limited time to attempt to counter, and you will probably be moving backward or laterally and have your body
    in some sort of bladed position as you try to get the container out of your pocket and into a position where
    you can use it.

IT can be a great deal more difficult than one thinks. Practice.

Tip. I find that a piece of tape run on the side opposite where the actuator is located helps you orient the canister
    by touch as you pull it out. I also find it is best to carry it with the actuator down and the bottom of the canister
    upward. That is because when it is oriented like that, as you slide your hand into your pocket to retrieve it, your
    thumb will go to the actuator. Then as you pull it from your pocket you are all set. Otherwise you will need to spend
    a second flipping the canister over in your palm with the chance that it will fall or you won't get your thumb positioned
    properly.
    JerryMac likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    The size is pretty important as it will be in my cargo pocket 90% of the time, which does allow more room than the front pocket of course.

I see there seems to be a difference of opinion as to which cone or stream to get, but everyone has said both products from Fox should serve me well. I'll probably end up getting the 5.3 since it is tried and true.

Any online stores you can recommend?
    I'm going to reinforce the choice for the cone spray. You need to think of hitting a moving target the size of a saucer with either a laser pointer or a normal flashlight. The cone is not huge but it is greater in diameter and will give you a far better chance of hitting the face of the bad guy.

The MK3 is what I've carried daily for years and it's a manageable size especially with cargo pants but even in jeans it's doable.

The MK3 holds 2 ounces and gives you approximately 18 1/2 second sprays and a range of 15 to 18 feet
    The MK8 key chain unit holds .38 ounces and gives you approximately 10 1/2 second sprays and a range of up to 10 feet so you can see you get nearly double the distance and number of sprays with the MK3

Also don't get the open top, get the flip top unit it offers far more protection against errant pocket discharges.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Well after watching some videos:

Kanal von FoxGearDe - YouTube

I believe the 5.3 flip top 2.0 oz can with the medium cone is what I will go with. Now where to get it? Thanks for the recommendations and information! I plan on getting 5: Myself, Fiance, Mother, Father, Brother.

I believe the 5.3 flip top 2.0 oz can with the medium cone is what I will go with. Now where to get it? Thanks for the recommendations and information! I plan on getting 5: Myself, Fiance, Mother, Father, Brother.
    I believe amazon sells it, I use amazon for pretty much everything

VIP Member

They sell it at my local gun store.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

After doing quite a lot of research I decided that Fox had the best product. I recently purchased the 2 oz stream, non-green and the keychain 11 gram.
    I ordered directly from Fox. Very nice people to speak with and they shipped it out that day. Sent me the tracking number so I could know when it was arriving. The phone number I used was 501-374-7900 out of Arkansas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links