Adhesive question

This is a discussion on Adhesive question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If all else fails, try duct tape....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Adhesive question

If all else fails, try duct tape.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It's these types of threads that keep me coming back!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    It's these types of threads that keep me coming back!

You were supposed to say "It's threads like these that make me stick around"

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

If the epoxy doesn't work, I'd suggest you look at 3M's VHB tapes. They make quite a few different types, depending on what you're trying to stick together. For no more than you would need, you may be able to get a sample from 3M or one of their distributors.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

You were supposed to say "It's threads like these that make me stick around"

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.
    And the bad joke of the day goes to JD
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

You will need a small gap between metal clip and plastic can, I suggest Goop brand silicone based adhesive. You can get it at hardware or many dollar stores. You will have to let it sit up overnight but it will hold well and you will still be able to peel it apart if you want to move the clip to a second can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

GH
    I had an idea to make a spare magazine holder out of stuff I already had. I happened to have a small flashlight holder with a torn belt loop that was the perfect size for my mag. It fits nice & snug but still easy to slip out with velcro flap I also had an old cell phone cover with a good belt clip. I cut the belt clip off leaving plenty of leather material around it about the same size as the flashlight holder. I put the two together using Shoe Goo. I've found Shoe Goo the best for cementing unlike materials together, in this case leather to nylon. So far the mag holder works out real good on my belt. I have no fears of it slipping off because the cell phone holder where the clip came off always stayed on my belt.

I've used Shoe Goo for mending many things, even pockets with holes in them from otherwise good pants. I've used it even on shoes, lol. Leather, rubber, plastic, wood, cloth - they all stuck for a long, long time, longer than the item I glued had outlived its usefulness. I haven't tried it on metal yet. When using Shoe Goo use as much as you can at about the same time for different repairs. The stuff will harden in the tube once the tube is opened. It's much easier to use than epoxy.

Is this thread going to become a "sticky"?
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Blue locktite would probably work.......
    Blue loctite is an anaerobic, i.e. it works in the absence of oxygen. JB Weld will do the trick.

You could use a pop rivet. Just be quick with inserting the rivet.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Last edited by Caertaker; July 18th, 2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: example

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Interesting stuff.

I am looking forward to rollo's follow up thread where everything went wrong. should be any day now..

Otherwise I think the best options have already been provided. Up to you to decide. If you go for drywall screws do youself a favor and step up to gold screws. Hardened as opposed to the pot metal drywall screw.

If you use a small c clamp you'll have a place to attach a carabiner, too. :D

sent from my rotary dial phone

How about auto trim double-sided tape?

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have a pocket clip that I have removed from a old cheap (I actually think it's the first I purchased from Target when I first found this forum a few years back and decided I needed to carry a pocket light because everyone else did) pocket light. I have widened the circumference with a couple pairs of pliers and have it fashioned to fit a container of pepper spray. So far it has actually worked out better then expected. I'm generally not into the whole "do it your self/rig something up" approach. Now the problem is how to attach it... What kind of adhesive would you recommend? I was thinking maybe blue locktite?
    I might have missed a whole lot since the original post. Loctite is corrosive. Not kind to anything other than threaded metal to metal applications.
    I recommend velcro or hot glue gun. Matter of fact...if you can sew the clip to the holster even better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links