Adhesive question

This is a discussion on Adhesive question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a pocket clip that I have removed from a old cheap (I actually think it's the first I purchased from Target when I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Adhesive question

Adhesive question

I have a pocket clip that I have removed from a old cheap (I actually think it's the first I purchased from Target when I first found this forum a few years back and decided I needed to carry a pocket light because everyone else did) pocket light. I have widened the circumference with a couple pairs of pliers and have it fashioned to fit a container of pepper spray. So far it has actually worked out better then expected. I'm generally not into the whole "do it your self/rig something up" approach. Now the problem is how to attach it... What kind of adhesive would you recommend? I was thinking maybe blue locktite?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Blue locktite would probably work, but if it was me, I would use nothing less than 3/4" drywall screws torqued to 120 psi. If you're willing to accept shoddy workmanship, go with your original idea.
    Hopyard and Adameeski like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I want to watch.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I want to watch.

Michael
    $12 gets you in the door. Up close where you can see the action will cost you an additional $8.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Blue locktite would probably work, but if it was me, I would use nothing less than 3/4" drywall screws torqued to 120 psi. If you're willing to accept shoddy workmanship, go with your original idea.
    Whaaatttt!? Drywall screws into a can of pepper spray!? Am I missing something here?? I would use an epoxy mix man. Loctite makes some pretty good products. I use this a lot in the commercial construction industry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Go to this site, it's called This to That and it should help.

This to That (Glue Advice)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Whaaatttt!? Drywall screws into a can of pepper spray!? Am I missing something here?? I would use an epoxy mix man. Loctite makes some pretty good products. I use this a lot in the commercial construction industry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    I think (at least I HOPE) they were joking.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Gene forgot to use the sarcasm font

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Go to this site, it's called This to That and it should help.

This to That (Glue Advice)
    Thanks! Great information on that site. Bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I think (at least I HOPE) they were joking.
    Yes, it was a joke. Sorry.

Blue locktight is for securing bolts and nuts and will not work on securing a clip. Contact cement is your best bet. Try construction adhesive (home depot)
    if you clip is screwed here is a leather co that you can order one from

Site Search Results - Tandy Leather Factory

It sounds like your trying to attach a metal clip to a metal can of pepper spray. If this is the case your need to sand both surfaces (very important step) with about 100 to 150 grit paper to roughen the metal so the glue can 'bite' onto the surface. My first choice would be a polyurethane metal glue they sell at Home Depot. My be available only in a calking style tube (I think it's made by liquid nails.)

Second choice would be slow dry (24 hr. full cure time) shafting epoxy they use on metal golf clubs available at any local golf shop. Home depot doesn't carry this type of epoxy.

Normally the clip would be brazed on before filling with propellant. This would be the proper way but you can NOT use that method.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    It sounds like your trying to attach a metal clip to a metal can of pepper spray. If this is the case your need to sand both surfaces (very important step) with about 100 to 150 grit paper to roughen the metal so the glue can 'bite' onto the surface. My first choice would be a polyurethane metal glue they sell at Home Depot. My be available only in a calking style tube (I think it's made by liquid nails.)

Second choice would be slow dry (24 hr. full cure time) shafting epoxy they use on metal golf clubs available at any local golf shop. Home depot doesn't carry this type of epoxy.

Normally the clip would be brazed on before filling with propellant. This would be the proper way but you can NOT use that method.
    Actually, it's a metal clip to a plastic container of pepper spray. I did sand both so hopefully it helps it adhere. I ran out and got some JB Weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Actually, it's a metal clip to a plastic container of pepper spray. I did sand both so hopefully it helps it adhere. I ran out and got some JB Weld.
    There you go! That's an epoxy as well I believe. Any type of epoxy adhesive should work well!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I was going to say either an epoxy or JB Weld. That may be a good choice and along with roughing it up a bit I think you're probably on the right track for what you're trying to accomplish.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links