Very special 1911 grips

This is a discussion on Very special 1911 grips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a story about a gun people doing something special.... A Few weeks ago, I traded a couple of pocket carry 9mm's for another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very special 1911 grips

Very special 1911 grips

This is a story about a gun people doing something special....

A Few weeks ago, I traded a couple of pocket carry 9mm's for another Kimber, a full size black Custom TLE II.

I asked on 1911forum.com about references for a custom grip maker because I had a project in mind. I was referred to Matthew Clough in Macon, Georgia.

Matthew Clough
    DonSon Products, Inc.
    DSPLaser Home
    478-225-6056

After contacting Matthew, he assured me that he could make me a pair of 1911 grips with the Army Paratrooper (Airborne) Wings engraved on them.

When I mentioned that to a Harley riding friend in Wisconsin (Rich), he replied that he had some walnut that was very sentimental to him because it came from his Mother, who is now deceased. Rich said he would be honored if he could send the wood to the grip maker and have the Army Airborne Wings made out of that wood. I contacted Matthew and he said yes, that would be fine.

When Rich sent me a picture of the Walnut boards, he said that he was sending enough for three or four pairs of grips. He also said that he put a note in with the wood asking Matthew to use the extra wood to make grips for another Veteran.

Right after that, another Harley riding friend named Ed said that he would like Matthew to make him a pair of grips for his 1911 Kimber, they would be special with his Navy rank (E9 MCPO) at retirement engraved on them.

So that got me to thinking...... Rich had asked Matthew to use the extra wood for another Veteran, and Ed is one of the most distinguished Veterans that I have the privilege to know, so..... I called Matthew and asked him if he could make Ed's grips out of the same wood. When I told him the story about all of us knowing one another and how the wood had a very special sentimental value to Rich, he said he would be proud to be a part of making the grips because it would be yet another bond between all of us.

He finished the grips yesterday and is getting them in the mail today......

Ed's U.S. Navy Grips

My U.S. Army grips:

The story continues however.......

I made another trade for an 1953 Argentine Ballister-Molina last week, the original factory grips on it were pretty rough. The gun is not a collector's item, so replacing the grips seems like a good idea because I want to use the gun as a shooter.

The design and hole mounting is not the same as on a normal 1911, so the only way to replace them was to have something else made.

I contacted Matthew again and asked if he could make a set of grips for that gun if I sent him the Argentine factory grips to use for the pattern and hole measurements. He said that he could, and that there was still plenty of Rich's wood left over.... so he is making a matching set of U.S. Army Airborne grips for that gun also. The factory grips that I sent him should be arriving at his place today, so maybe he will have them done next week.

Matthew has this sign on the door to his business in Macon, Georgia:

2. Remove Ads

Pretty grips!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Good stuff.

VIP Member
    Very nice. I love custom wooden grips on a 1911. 'So much the better when it's of sentimental value.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Very cool. I hope they are treasured.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Very nice! Walnut is one of my favorite species for woodworking, and it makes a nice looking pair of grips.

Also, I really appreciate the sign on his door. I would love to see that sign on every door!
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

My friend Ed, the retired U.S. Navy Master Chief Petty Officer, received his grips today and put them on his Kimber.

The grips on the M1911 knife in the photo are his old ones.....

What a great story! I love the fact that there was some special wood involved, and that you found a craftsman sensitive to what you wanted. Kudos all around!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Can you post prices for these custom ordered grips? I have a project in mind, but have limited funds at present.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Nice sign !.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Great story & fine looking grips. The sign earns an A+ as well.
    SCGunLover1

OD*
    Those are beautiful.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Really nice grips. I visited his site and his prices are good.

sgb
    Nice story, nice grips, GREAT SIGN
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Great to hear stories like this,
    awsome grips and kudos on the sign.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links