Lock box for the car?

This is a discussion on Lock box for the car? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's a local guy that makes them custom and he is very inexpensive. Most are made for the "hocky puck" padlock, but he has other ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lock box for the car?

There's a local guy that makes them custom and he is very inexpensive. Most are made for the "hocky puck" padlock, but he has other locks too. They are heavy welded steel. Let me see if I can find his card.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I also have one of the COM boxes with the combo lock bolted to the bottom of my center console. It should prevent the smash and grab and due to it's location makes it pretty hard to try to pry on it as well. I do wish they were about .5-1" thicker so I could put a holstered gun in it.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

This is what I have been using. Most likely not real secure but it is in the trunk with the cable thingie around the trunk hinge. Cheap and better than the glove box or center council (however you spell it).

Gander Mountain® > GunVault Nano Vault 100 with Keyed Lock - Firearms > Firearms Equipment > Safes Storage & Security > Safes & Accessories :
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by lambo969 View Post
    I use a Bulldog safe. They come in two parts - an outer metal shield of sorts and then the actual key-locked safe box that goes inside of the shield. Box and shield become one when the box is locked. I currently have it bolted to the floorboard under the seat of my truck (bolts provided with the safe), but it also comes with a decent length cable that you can wrap around something in the car and lock with a masterlock or what have you. Works for me, cost about $30. I'm sure they have different sizes, but the one I bought only holds my LC9.

BDOG BD1100 Car Vault Black 9X6X2.5
    How do they bolt down? Is there some space for the bolt heads between the bracket and the box? What type of bolts do they come with? Asking because I couldn't find any info online about the mounting/hardware.

Distinguished Member
    If anyone is looking for something more secure than a small COM or similar box you should look at Console Vault | Buy Direct For Lowest Price + Free Shipping They make vehicle specific boxes that fit in the space of your center console and large enough you can store more than just a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good lock box for the car?

I am finding tons of them online. Of course, most of them seem to have reviews like "the box was made of 21 gauge steel -- hardly enough!" or "this or that crucial part was made of plastic!" Of course, when I found a box with all-steel, 18 gauge construction, one review reads: "I was able to break into this lock box within 10 seconds! What a disappointment!"

I don't like throwing money away at garbage, no matter how cheap it may be, but I'm also looking for something affordable. If you've got any thoughts, please let me know!
    I just use a trigger-lock and toss it in the glove box. Cheaper, easier to use.

I just got my GunVault in today and haven't even seen it yet, but I looked at the Bulldog boxes this weekend (after ordering the GunVault) and think it would be a much nicer way to go. It would be tough to screw it in place, but that would be much better than using the cable IMO. Either way it won't stop a determined thief (even though the Bulldog would do a better job), but that really isn't the purpose of these lock boxes.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Sheilded Holsters Double Phalanx

I use a regular gunvault attached to my back seat with steel cables. It has the option of securing it directly to you vehicle. i chose not to do this as I did not want to drill holes in my truck. What other members have been saying is correct. These vaults are only able to prevent loss from smash and grab; however, if someone is equiped with wire cutters, they can cut through the cables and steal the box. Once they have your gunvault, it will take a bit of work either by smashing or torching it but they will eventually get to your goods. i only use the gunvault when im traveling and am in a situation where I absolutely cannot be carrying a firearm (ex. work, federal buidling, bar, etc.) Despite this, I think it is a good a idea to have some type of lock box for your firearm just in case you ever need it...and believe me you will eventually need it.

hope this helps
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

Not for every make/model but probably one of the more effective options.

Console Vault | Buy Direct For Lowest Price + Free Shipping

I use a gunvault nano...
    Molon Labe

Can someone provide a link to the COM lockbox? I am not finding it via googling, partly because "com" is so common.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Can someone provide a link to the COM lockbox? I am not finding it via googling, partly because "com" is so common.
    In Car Gun Lockers

The Fort Knox Auto Pistol Box is the thickest steel used for an auto lock box. Its designed to sit in a center console of a truck or full size suv. They also make the personal pistol box for under seat application.

Quote Originally Posted by solidheart View Post
    They also make the personal pistol box for under seat application.
    Is that new? I haven't seen any from Fort Knox that are designed to fit under a seat. Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Is that new? I haven't seen any from Fort Knox that are designed to fit under a seat. Do you have a link?
    Its probably only going to work under a seat with plenty of clearance. You'll need 5" on the height at least. Fort Knox Personal Pistol Box

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links