Lock box for the car?

Lock box for the car?

This is a discussion on Lock box for the car? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone recommend a good lock box for the car? I am finding tons of them online. Of course, most of them seem to have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lock box for the car?

Lock box for the car?

Can anyone recommend a good lock box for the car?

I am finding tons of them online. Of course, most of them seem to have reviews like "the box was made of 21 gauge steel -- hardly enough!" or "this or that crucial part was made of plastic!" Of course, when I found a box with all-steel, 18 gauge construction, one review reads: "I was able to break into this lock box within 10 seconds! What a disappointment!"

I don't like throwing money away at garbage, no matter how cheap it may be, but I'm also looking for something affordable. If you've got any thoughts, please let me know!

I use this in my car. Fits neatly under the seat. Quick access. Sturdy, and can be tied right to the seat rails. Price isnt too steep either.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stack...h-All+Products

Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    I use this in my car. Fits neatly under the seat. Quick access. Sturdy, and can be tied right to the seat rails. Price isnt too steep either.
    Did you forget to include a link?

i sure did :-D sorry haha ill edit.

I use a Center of Mass safe in my truck...easily hidden and secure. I only use it for short periods of time.
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Realistically speaking, a lock box is not going to stop a determined thief. Nor is it going to stop a thief with the proper tools.

It is really most effective against a simple smash and grab. I think mine is a Center of Mass, but I forget. Its still more secure than a glove box.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I use a Bulldog safe. They come in two parts - an outer metal shield of sorts and then the actual key-locked safe box that goes inside of the shield. Box and shield become one when the box is locked. I currently have it bolted to the floorboard under the seat of my truck (bolts provided with the safe), but it also comes with a decent length cable that you can wrap around something in the car and lock with a masterlock or what have you. Works for me, cost about $30. I'm sure they have different sizes, but the one I bought only holds my LC9.

BDOG BD1100 Car Vault Black 9X6X2.5

I use a gunvault. Nano I believe is the size. It fits my lc9 and sw 442 perfectly. It has a cable and I keep it under my seat. I also use it when i am staying in a hotel, traveling, etc. Won't stop a determined thief with the right tools and time, but it is made well. Think it was $25 on Amazon.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I think the Center of Mass, Cabelas and Gunvault Nano safes are the same thing. As mentioned earlier, they won't stop a determined thief, but if should deter a smash and grab thief.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Use the Bulldog gun safe boxes with cable in (7) of my vehicles. Each cabled to the seat brackets. Only issue is the cheap locksets made in China. Extra keys cannot be made by any locksmith which is extremely surprizing. Extra keys can be cut if sent to Bulldog China at $5.00/ a key. Plus lots of time to wait for return on the order. So do not loose you keys!

CJM
    Gun Vault Nano.

I use a Gunvault Nano 300, and I'm very pleased with it so far. I paid $30 for it locally; you may find it for less online.

As others have mentioned, it should prevent a smash and grab, but it's no match for a determined thief.

Here's more info:

NV 300 | GunVault

I use COM safes in all my vehicles, all keyed the same.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I use a Center of Mass safe in my truck...easily hidden and secure. I only use it for short periods of time.
    In Car Gun Lockers
    This is exactly what I have in my car as well. Works very well. I feel pretty good about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I use COM safes in all my vehicles, all keyed the same.
    Same here. Good enough to stop a smash and grab, as mentioned, but not too expensive.

Also works for securing your handgun for air travel, got through in a breeze last time I flew.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links