OPSGEAR refuses to sell body armor to civilians, interesting

OPSGEAR refuses to sell body armor to civilians, interesting

This is a discussion on OPSGEAR refuses to sell body armor to civilians, interesting within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; According to a news article on ksl.com , OPSGEAR does not sell body armor to civilians. Here is the link to the article. Could more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: OPSGEAR refuses to sell body armor to civilians, interesting

  1. #1
    Sponsor
    Array SHTFGearLLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,120

    OPSGEAR refuses to sell body armor to civilians, interesting

    According to a news article on ksl.com , OPSGEAR does not sell body armor to civilians.

    Here is the link to the article. Could more have been done to improve outcome of Aurora shooting? | ksl.com

    Here is a bit from the article

    OPSGEAR, Burnell said, does not sell body armor to civilians - though it is legal to be sold - because of the risk of somebody using the armor against law enforcement.
    How does one use body armor against someone? They certainly have a right to sell to whoever they choose, however I struggle with the mindset that it is dangerous for the civilian population to have PROTECTIVE body armor. The very thought that civilians should not have access to body armor is all about monopoly of force.

    What are your thoughts on the concept of not selling body armor to civilians?

    Thanks!
    Clay


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Some years back the in the State of Oklahoma there was a push to outlaw the use of body armor by citizens. The idea was that there was no need or reason for citizens to possess them. Many people demanded to know why an honest citizen should be denied a purely defensive tool to defend themselves with. They did come to their senses somewhat when it was changed to prevent their use during a commission of a crime. An add on charge if you will.

    EDIT: If the Government thinks that you don't need something that is reason enough in their minds to ban it.

    Michael
    accessbob and ANGLICO like this.

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,330
    If they want to lose out on half the profit they could be making that's fine, there's plenty of other companies. There is no reason a civilian shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves, there are a lot more jobs than just law enforcement that are dangerous.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

  4. #4
    Member Array Ionracas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    459
    Working the night shift in Memphis, I sure would like some body armor
    Bohunter likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

  5. #5
    Member Array johnc522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati OH
    Posts
    37
    I have only seen second-hand reports on the net, with no links, but guys are claiming that the human debris Holmes did not, in fact, have body armor. the dolts of the press saw a receipt for a "tactical assault vest" from Blackhawk and assumed it was Kevlar armor. this guy also claimed that in a video from local TV, the Aurora police showed his rifle and ammo, and that it was a Smith & Wesson MP 15-22, with .22 long rifle ammo.

  6. #6
    Member Array Ionracas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by johnc522 View Post
    I have only seen second-hand reports on the net, with no links, but guys are claiming that the human debris Holmes did not, in fact, have body armor. the dolts of the press saw a receipt for a "tactical assault vest" from Blackhawk and assumed it was Kevlar armor. this guy also claimed that in a video from local TV, the Aurora police showed his rifle and ammo, and that it was a Smith & Wesson MP 15-22, with .22 long rifle ammo.
    But its still a military assault rifle manufactured to kill lots and lots of people and is wayyyyyy more powerful than the average hunting rifle that no one ever questions the capabilities of.

    Maybe the next generation who is so fascinated with snipers (because of call of duty and airsoft) will start killing sprees with 308. At least then maybe we can get the media and politicians let us keep our assault weapons.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array BigJon10125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,132
    Fine by me if they don't want to sell to me. They are obviously fine with not getting my money.
    Burns likes this.
    BigJon


    "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

  8. #8
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    What are your thoughts on the concept of not selling body armor to civilians?
    I think it's stupid. My body armor is Safariland IIIA
    Burns likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array varob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,454
    Quote Originally Posted by johnc522 View Post
    I have only seen second-hand reports on the net, with no links, but guys are claiming that the human debris Holmes did not, in fact, have body armor. the dolts of the press saw a receipt for a "tactical assault vest" from Blackhawk and assumed it was Kevlar armor. this guy also claimed that in a video from local TV, the Aurora police showed his rifle and ammo, and that it was a Smith & Wesson MP 15-22, with .22 long rifle ammo.
    It hardly matters what the truth is at this point. The cats already out the bag.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member
    Array Xader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    hey did come to their senses somewhat when it was changed to prevent their use during a commission of a crime. An add on charge if you will.

    Michael
    That's how it is here, and I'm fine with that.

    That said, there's still plenty of places to buy body armor, so OpsGear is only hurting themselves.

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array sigmanluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,209
    I don't have a problem with armor being available to "civilians", but I do agree that anyone who uses it in the commission of a crime should face severe penalties.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

  12. #12
    Sponsor
    Array SHTFGearLLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I don't have a problem with armor being available to "civilians", but I do agree that anyone who uses it in the commission of a crime should face severe penalties.
    I initially thought the same thing sounded reasonable, however then I started to think about how that type of law leaves a lot to the discretion of the arresting officer or perceptions of the general public. I think a comparable example might be carrying a lock pick set. In some states (Utah included I think, however its been a while since I checked the law so my memory may be a bit off) it is legal to own lock pick sets, unless you have "intent" to commit a crime. What does intent look like? What happens when a citizen is carrying concealed and wearing body armor?

    Just some food for thought, however I can see your point.

    I was reading an article that said the supreme court decided not to hear a case from a convicted felon where the law says he cannot wear body armor. It seems a little extreme to me that we would essentially say "since you've committed a felony, the government and every person on the street needs to be able to kill you easily at a moments notice, body armor would hinder that ability".

    However, I realize I may view things a bit different as I think saying that felons cannot own guns is simply an arbitrary line drawn in the sand. I think a more appropriate limitation would be violent felonies. Does Martha Stewart seem like the person we need to keeping guns away from? Not excusing her actions, but she doesn't really strike me as violent person.

    Thanks,
    Clay

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    You don't need body armor, you need....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Working the night shift in Memphis, I sure would like some body armor

    Wow, this is what you need, for sure.... http://blog.think-silly.com/errolson...it-1-web-s.jpg
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I don't have a problem with armor being available to "civilians", but I do agree that anyone who uses it in the commission of a crime should face severe penalties.
    They should face severe penalties no matter what they decide to wear that day.

    Michael
    packinnova and sigmanluke like this.

  15. #15
    Member Array Ionracas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Does Martha Stewart seem like the person we need to keeping guns away from?
    Not unless you want pink 1911's with floral patterns in everyones holster lol

    Good point overall though. It makes even more sense if you think about violent offenders being escorted by the police wearing flack jackets.
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

body armor for civilians

,
body armor for sale to civilians
,
can civilians own body armor
,

civilian body armor

,

civilian body armor for sale

,
civilian legal body armor
,
g.r.a.d. knife gun
,
govt denies civilian body armour
,
iron man armor
,
ironman body armor
,
is body armor legal in missouri
,
sell to civilians
Click on a term to search for related topics.