Am I A Mall Ninja Wannabe?

This is a discussion on Am I A Mall Ninja Wannabe? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I've seen some threads on here about mall ninjas and although I think I get the gist of it, I'm not convinced I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Am I A Mall Ninja Wannabe?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Hi,

I've seen some threads on here about mall ninjas and although I think I get the gist of it, I'm not convinced I have a solid definition of the term. From what I can tell, mall ninjas are the geeks of the gun sub-culture. They not only have tons of tac gear but they wear it out in public. So with this understanding, does a civilan being all tacked out in gear make one a mall ninja? What if someone has the gear but they're not going out in public making a spectacle of themselves? In other words, does one have to have gear + exert a specific kind of behavior as a condition to be classified as a "mall ninja"?

I'm asking because I'm really thinking of acquiring a molle vest that will hold some mags, a G19 and a Esse 4 or 5 (maybe). I'm a civilian so this equipment, by no means, will be used for my job. Mostly I'd like to have it for the times I go and target practice on my farm. If we ever have a SHTF scenario, I might utilize it then depending on the kind of conditions that are at play, etc.

So what do you think?

Although I have an AR, I don't have the vest, G19 or even the Esee yet, so;

Am I a mall ninja wannabe?

I'm really interested in hearing your opinions.
    Ionracas likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    There's a big difference between a "mall ninja" and a SHTF prepper. I'll let you figure it out :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I think its mostly the attitude...
    Burns and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    ^^ exactly
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

You can be whatever you want. However........'mall ninja' might very well be something to not wanna be at this time and due to atmosphere and current conditions. Your 'gear' may very well place you in a certain profile folder right now. Who's profile folder? Never know.
    The general public don't know the good guy from the bad guy until something bad happens. Kind of like traffic accidents and red lights........you gotta ask yourself how many are willing to stop at a red light, and how many are willing to run it?

Mall Ninja -- One who carries a gun he can't breakdown and clean, loaded with hollowpoint exploding ammunition. Seriously this is a close definition...."A term used in forums to mean an unexperienced and enthusiastic weapon (usually a firearm) owner who pretends to be a seasoned operator."
    DefConGun, tacman605 and atctimmy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You can be whatever you want. However........'mall ninja' might very well be something to not wanna be at this time and due to atmosphere and current conditions. Your 'gear' may very well place you in a certain profile folder right now. Who's profile folder? Never know.
    The general public don't know the good guy from the bad guy until something bad happens. Kind of like traffic accidents and red lights........you gotta ask yourself how many are willing to stop at a red light, and how many are willing to run it?
    I don't want to be a mall ninja but does having the equipment alone make me one?

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I don't want to be a mall ninja but does having the equipment alone make me one?
    I wouldn't think so. Bragging that you, with all of your equipment, could whip Seal Team 6, blindfolded, hog tied, and upside down, would make you a mall ninja.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Real operators need the gear, have the gear, and the training, and they don't typically brag about it to all and sundry.

Well, lessee.

Mall Ninja...an arrogant amateur pretending to be a seasoned operator. (aka Keyboard Commando, Poser) Or some such nonsense. You gotta remember, as was noted above, attitude is part of the equation, the know-it-all loudmouth who just can't be wrong about anything. So arrogance is a key ingredient.

I habitually refer to such twits as 'Hunt Bromley." (Anybody who has ever seek Gregory Peck's classic "The Gunfighter" knows about whom I speak, and the type)

It's someone who reads what someone else wrote in a magazine and repeats it enough to make himself believe he's an expert. I write for gun magazines and have had the occasion to rub elbows and share a drink or two with the genuine articles, and I've also been up close and personal at crime scenes where there are dead people, so I understand a bit about wound damage and bullet performance.

Mall ninjas only think they know this stuff and talk down their noses at others, presumably to amp up their own egos. The real deal people don't do that. There are some very fine gentlemen among the ranks of guys who know their butts from a D-ring, and I don''t know any of them who try to advertise to the whole world they are: a) armed, b) tough guys, c) smarter than everybody else.

I did a book about 16 years ago on firearms and self-defense in Washington state. I've sold those through gun shops and at gun shows and every now and then, though more rarely these days, I've run into some strutting peacock who read the book and thinks he is an authority. And one time, one of these clowns began spouting off about "Well, Workman said this" or something like that, and I was standing within earshot.

"Do you know Workman?" was the question, followed by the evasive "We're not good friends..."

"I know him very well. You're looking at him, and he's never seen you before."

A lot of these people seem to want to be the next Mas Ayoob. Ayoob is a dear friend of mine, and he would never imagine saying or doing some of the crap I've seen mall ninjas pull or say. And there's only one of him.

But...in answer to your question... If you really have to ask if you're a mall ninja wannabe, it's possible but not likely. It's like asking how much a yacht costs. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Stay safe and shoot straight!

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I wouldn't think so. Bragging that you, with all of your equipment, could whip Seal Team 6, blindfolded, hog tied, and upside down, would make you a mall ninja.
    I could do it with a spork and dental floss lol

Ive always pictured a mall ninja more as the type who plays Call of Duty and can tell you what the best gun in the world is based on his/her no scope sniping skills with that gun. I completley gave up video games when I started shooting real guns.

Based on my definition go on YouTube... FPSRUSSIA = major mall ninja and hes not even Russian, hes an American named Kyle with a fake accent.

I dont think having all the gear makes you one, if its for prepping, training and/or competition purposes
    DefConGun and Badey like this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    To truly be a mall ninja wannabe you have to have your CCW Sash and Badge. Without them your just a wannabe, wannabe.
    BugDude, Hoganbeg, mano3 and 1 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Well, lessee.

Mall Ninja...an arrogant amateur pretending to be a seasoned operator. (aka Keyboard Commando, Poser) Or some such nonsense. You gotta remember, as was noted above, attitude is part of the equation, the know-it-all loudmouth who just can't be wrong about anything. So arrogance is a key ingredient.

I habitually refer to such twits as 'Hunt Bromley." (Anybody who has ever seek Gregory Peck's classic "The Gunfighter" knows about whom I speak, and the type)

It's someone who reads what someone else wrote in a magazine and repeats it enough to make himself believe he's an expert. I write for gun magazines and have had the occasion to rub elbows and share a drink or two with the genuine articles, and I've also been up close and personal at crime scenes where there are dead people, so I understand a bit about wound damage and bullet performance.

Mall ninjas only think they know this stuff and talk down their noses at others, presumably to amp up their own egos. The real deal people don't do that. There are some very fine gentlemen among the ranks of guys who know their butts from a D-ring, and I don''t know any of them who try to advertise to the whole world they are: a) armed, b) tough guys, c) smarter than everybody else.

I did a book about 16 years ago on firearms and self-defense in Washington state. I've sold those through gun shops and at gun shows and every now and then, though more rarely these days, I've run into some strutting peacock who read the book and thinks he is an authority. And one time, one of these clowns began spouting off about "Well, Workman said this" or something like that, and I was standing within earshot.

"Do you know Workman?" was the question, followed by the evasive "We're not good friends..."

"I know him very well. You're looking at him, and he's never seen you before."

A lot of these people seem to want to be the next Mas Ayoob. Ayoob is a dear friend of mine, and he would never imagine saying or doing some of the crap I've seen mall ninjas pull or say. And there's only one of him.

But...in answer to your question... If you really have to ask if you're a mall ninja wannabe, it's possible but not likely. It's like asking how much a yacht costs. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Stay safe and shoot straight!
    Great post. Thank you for your response. I've never thought of it in those terms before.

I was talking to a guy the other day and he was a real chest thumper. He wanted me to know how important he is and remind me as to how little I am. I was talking to a friend about this and he was telling me that the real deals don't act like the way this guy is acting. He said, he's talked to seal team guys, the genuine article - like you mentioned, and he said these are some of the most humble guys you'll ever meet. They never go on and on about how much they know and what all they can do, etc. I mention this because your post reminds me of the conversation I had with my friend a few days ago. I think the same thing applies to people that have money. There are guys that brag about how much they have; what kind of car they drive, what zip code they live in, etc. The people that really have money, however, never do this or act in this fashion. The wannabes have just enough credit to put on the appearance of having money. The real deals act without putting on a show about it.

Thanks again for the post.

I've read enough of your posts on this forum to know you are not one. If you would like to see some that are, PM me and I'll be glad to point you to some examples. In the meantime, enjoy your gear.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

But...in answer to your question... If you really have to ask if you're a mall ninja wannabe, it's possible but not likely. It's like asking how much a yacht costs. If you have to ask, you can't afford it
    do a mall ninja’s have followers..... Like mall ninja groupies?

imagesCA9SNIFQ.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links