Possible BOB addition?

Possible BOB addition?

This is a discussion on Possible BOB addition? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's easy to imagine scenarios where the power goes out...a little harder to imagine where you might be unable to get to your vehicle's battery ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Possible BOB addition?

Possible BOB addition?

It's easy to imagine scenarios where the power goes out...a little harder to imagine where you might be unable to get to your vehicle's battery to recharge your cell phone, but I came across this today and thought I'd toss it out for some opinions. Anybody got any experience with solar rechargers?

JOOS Orange Portable Solar Charger Portable Power
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Careful on which model you buy, do some research read the reviews. I picked up a cheap one about 50.00 to charge my cell when I'm on extended camping trips on my motorcycle. It worked great the first time, charged my cell phone to full capacity. well the second time I used it the solar charger metal case expanded and fried my cell phone battery. I then went to the internet and researched this brand and model and seen the reviews and that other were having component failures after using this charging device.
    I'm not saying solar charger are junk in anyway just the one I bought, and I wish I could remember the name to pass along, but this was a couple of years back.
    I would like to pick up another one, because of how handy and useful they can be. Just the next time I'm a little smarter and buy one thats well made.

Thanks for the advice. This one sounds good, but I had never seen it before. With all the apps on my phone (including an Army Field Survival Manual), it would be nice to be able to keep it powered up.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I agree with sid, if you buy something with good reviews it would be a wonderful addition.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. This one sounds good, but I had never seen it before. With all the apps on my phone (including an Army Field Survival Manual), it would be nice to be able to keep it powered up.
    Something to consider, if it is a sittuation where you actually need to use your BOB, will there be power to the towers, and servers running the site you apps reads from, or is the content downloaded and stored in you phone? My wife just realized that distinction in her phone's capabilities when we were on a plane, didn't have access to a signal, and therefore, none of her apps worked.

But I have been vurious about getting a solar charger myself. Let us know if when you pick one. I love learning/benefiting from other people's research.
    Walk softly ...

Been thinking about such an addition to my personal kit...

Cell towers may go down, but good to be prepared when they come back up.

If you get around to doing some research, I hope you share (and I'll do the same)
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Something to consider, if it is a sittuation where you actually need to use your BOB, will there be power to the towers, and servers running the site you apps reads from, or is the content downloaded and stored in you phone? My wife just realized that distinction in her phone's capabilities when we were on a plane, didn't have access to a signal, and therefore, none of her apps worked.

But I have been vurious about getting a solar charger myself. Let us know if when you pick one. I love learning/benefiting from other people's research.
    Good question. In the case of apps like the field survival manual and some other books, they are on the 32 gig phone card. I just need power to pull them up. Maps and things of that nature would need tower access. If there were a situation where the weather knocked out your power and you couldn't get to your car, or if the battery on your car was dead, I can see where this little device might come in handy.

Senior Moderator
    More than likely if the power goes down so does the cell service. You could just buy maps and a compass, they work for me.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    More than likely if the power goes down so does the cell service. You could just buy maps and a compass, they work for me.
    I've had my power go out quite often and my cell service still worked. Maybe things are different in your neck of the woods.

I've got a charger that will charge all of my electronics off of a 9 volt battery. It's got a usb port, so anything that charges through usb works with it. It also has a 12v lighter plug and the standard AC plug. Pretty versatile, and I've used it several times while camping. I can fully charge my cell phone 3 times on one 9 volt. It's not solar, but it's pretty darn handy.

As far as the army field survival manual goes, you can get a hard copy for about $7. I think that would be another good addition to your bag. I've got it in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I've got a charger that will charge all of my electronics off of a 9 volt battery. It's got a usb port, so anything that charges through usb works with it. It also has a 12v lighter plug and the standard AC plug. Pretty versatile, and I've used it several times while camping. I can fully charge my cell phone 3 times on one 9 volt. It's not solar, but it's pretty darn handy.

As far as the army field survival manual goes, you can get a hard copy for about $7. I think that would be another good addition to your bag. I've got it in mine.
    Thanks for the advice. In regards to the Army manual, how often during your day do you find that you have your cell phone with you, but that Army manual is somewhere else? There's lots of good stuff in my manual...first aid, escape and evasion, etc. I had room on the memory card so I just downloaded the darned thing. Big screen, Kindle reader, just makes a handy reference work. Keeps me from having to remember so much stuff.

One of the things you might consider is one of the Eton emergency radio/light combinations. I got one for my birthday a few years back. It has a small solar cell on top and a hand crank. It has a decent (camping not tactical) led flashlight and am/fm radio. The great thing about the AM radio is that you can get broadcast AM signals from hundreds of miles away fairly easily. So even if every station within three hundred miles is off the air you could still get news from the outside world. It also has a little USB port and cable so you can charge cell phones with it. The downside is that you have to crank for about twenty minutes to charge up about one minute of talk time.

One of the things to keep in mind about cell phones and smart phones is that when "the big one" hits they will be of limited utility. If the grid goes down, even if the cell towers are not damaged they will be on emergency power. That might last 72 hours depending on call volume. After a storm like Katrina or Ike you will have large dead zones lasting for well over a week. And here is where it gets tricky. Most phones when they lose contact with network (at least they used to) go into roaming mode. They start pinging like mad trying to find a network to access. This eats battery big time. Also if you leave the gps on the phone turned on that wastes battery. Especially if you are bugging in instead of bugging out.
    BigStick likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    I see a lot (all?) cell phone towers with a generator, though I have no idea how long they will run with the fuel on-hand? However, during some crisis I'm afraid that most cell phone towers will be overwhelmed with too many callers.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Most cell towers have their own back-up generators and days if not weeks of fuel. I have helped a cell tower owner work on his propane-fired generator, a converted Chevy 8-cylinder automobile engine. He leased space on his tower to many different cellular companies and to our ham radio club (we have repeaters on his tower).

So even if power goes down you can probably access cellular services and you can for certain access ham radio repeaters (hams are the back-ups to the commercial communications systems).

On the other hand, during a crisis the cellular data providers are routinely swamped with the huge volume of calls in the area, int the area from concerned relatives, and out of the area as locals try to contact family elsewhere to assure the family members that they (the locals) are OK. This happens routinely in California after a bad earthquake.

So I support the views expressed by earlier posters that a reliable solar charger for one's cell phone and ham radio is a really good idea.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    mcp1810 is right about the roaming/searching mode, it will suck your battery dry FAST. Lots of stories about Katrina, etc. where everyone just left their phones on and then they were all dead by the time call volume died off and/or service was restored. If you lose service, turn your phone off, or put it in airplane mode until you want to check for service or try to make a call. If you are with other people, you can take truns turning on your phones so you can all maintain battery life if you have no way to charge it.

All of that being said, if you follow the lead of the OP, none of that will be an issue because you should be able to recharge your phone with the solar charger.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links