Anyone fly with a flash light?

This is a discussion on Anyone fly with a flash light? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I travel for work, which means flying. With all the regulations etc. What has been your experience with taking a Surefire et. al. light ...

Thread: Anyone fly with a flash light?

VIP Member

Anyone fly with a flash light?

So I travel for work, which means flying. With all the regulations etc. What has been your experience with taking a Surefire et. al. light through the security checkpoint?

I would think other than maybe some interest in seeing it work, they would let it through.

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I always take a Surefire E2e with me when travelling. Just last week, it went through airport security twice, with no problem.

Please note that the new Surefire (E2d?) with the impact head on it is a weapon, and I would never try to take it on a plane. I would also never try to take any of those \"impact heads\" available for aftermarket sale onto a plane.

Some things you just don\'t want to mess around with. :O

Dang the E2d is nasty looking...

VIP Member
    Originally posted by Erich
    Some things you just don\'t want to mess around with. :O
    Exactly. Figure better to ask before I get to security with a rather expensive piece of gear only to lose it.

DC Founder
    I received an E2E for Christmas (I love it) and it has an impact head, but compared to the above photo, mine is barely discernable. On their website, my box, etc it doesn\'t show or mention this particular head. Anyone know what gives or if it is something that I should not carry to the airport? the cuts are no more than maybe 3/32\" deep and are barely noticeable....

I always fly with my SureFire E2D but I put it in my \"check in\" luggage so I don\'t get a hastle. I have found the easiest way to travel and not have the TSA open your luggage is to check in an unloaded firearm. When I travel to states that recognize my CCW, I do the automated check-in at the kiosk and then go the the ticket agent and tell them I am checking an \"unloaded firearm\". Every time I ask them if they want to see it they say \"no\". After filling out the decleration and showing them that the gun case is locked I put the case in my lugage and put a lock on the suitcase. They have me walk my own suitcast over to the TSA x-ray machine and put it through. The agent at the other end puts an \"inspected, do not open\" tag on the lugage and they will not tamper with it again or cut the lock off. It really is a fast process and it insures they will not open your lugage again.

MadDog :rock:

VIP Member
    So does the same \"inspected do not open\" tag go on other baggage? In other words does any of the baggage without guns get the tag?

MadDog, thanks for the heads up. Wife and I are looking to go to Ohio for a lil break. I would like to take at least 2 pistols with so we can do some shooting. My fear is them loosing my luggage with a max reimbursement of $2500.

~A

Originally posted by MadDogDan
    I always fly with my SureFire E2D but I put it in my \"check in\" luggage so I don\'t get a hastle. I have found the easiest way to travel and not have the TSA open your luggage is to check in an unloaded firearm. When I travel to states that recognize my CCW, I do the automated check-in at the kiosk and then go the the ticket agent and tell them I am checking an \"unloaded firearm\". Every time I ask them if they want to see it they say \"no\". After filling out the decleration and showing them that the gun case is locked I put the case in my lugage and put a lock on the suitcase. They have me walk my own suitcast over to the TSA x-ray machine and put it through. The agent at the other end puts an \"inspected, do not open\" tag on the lugage and they will not tamper with it again or cut the lock off. It really is a fast process and it insures they will not open your lugage again.

MadDog :rock:

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    MadDogDan, they changed the policy last summer. Now TSA will not come to the front to inspect your bag - you have to check it with an agent (most airlines require that you wait in the big line to do this, e-ticket kiosk or no kiosk), and then hover around the ticketing area until the bag clears TSA. If the TSA wants to see your unloaded, locked gun, you will have to give your key to the ticket agent, who will walk the key back into the secured area and give it to the TSA dude.

I fly more than I\'d care to, so I\'m pretty familiar with this drill. :(

And, Apachon, the max reimbursement is a lot less than that for 2 bags, by the way. I think it\'s under $650 a bag.

My 6Z has made several flights with me with no problems yet.

The one time that I had to fight for my life, I used a flashlight as an impact weapon (although that was a 6-C-Cell Mag-Light). Ever since then, I can\'t pick up a flashlight without evaluating it as an impact weapon.

Now that I find myself carrying little lights more and more, I need to spend more time working the \"how\" side of the issue.

I took an old Mini-MagLight and gutted out all of the non-metallic parts. Now, I\'ll work the focus mitts or heavy bag with the gutless Mini-mag in my pocket. I\'ll start empty handed then work in the light with my striking techniques.

Chuck

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Fly with your E2D, if they ask about it tell them it\'s a map reading light. the bezel holds it off the map. TSA is filled with highschool dropouts and the near-retarded, it shouldn\'t be hard to outsmart them.

Bumper,

The deeply crenellated bezel on the E2d is for defense, but the style on the E2e is so when the flashlight is set facing downward some light will still escape. I guess itís to help avoid running the batteries down.

i found a way to get 25% discount on Surefire flashlights, Shoot me a Pm if you are interested.

~A

DC Founder
    Originally posted by KeithL
    Bumper,

The deeply crenellated bezel on the E2d is for defense, but the style on the E2e is so when the flashlight is set facing downward some light will still escape. I guess itís to help avoid running the batteries down.
    It also probably helps reduce heat buildup that would burn up the bulb and reflector and maybe start a fire. Not to mention it lets you see that it is still on. I am amazed at how hot the lens gets when it is on for awhile. I am amazed at my attachment to my E2E in such a short amount of time. ;)

Links