Triage 1st Aide Kit?

Triage 1st Aide Kit?

This is a discussion on Triage 1st Aide Kit? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you ever started to receive emails full of bargains & special deals after you have bought something off of the internet? Well, yeah, me ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ionracas
  • 1 Post By Cupcake
  • 1 Post By sonosam
  • 1 Post By Ionracas

Thread: Triage 1st Aide Kit?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Triage 1st Aide Kit?

Have you ever started to receive emails full of bargains & special deals after you have bought something off of the internet?

Well, yeah, me too.

You see, I have had my eye on a Benchmade Triage for some time now. Little did I know when I opened up an email from BladeHQ that they would snag me into their layer.

The email I received mentioned a Benchamde sale so out of pure curiosity, I had to check it out. Typically, I don't make snap purchasing decisions on-the-fly. Normally, I research and shop around in an effort to get a product I will ultimately be happy with at a reasonable price. I have looked at Triage's before so I knew that they are normally around the $160 range. Much to my surprise, I found that they were selling the exact knife I wanted (915BK-ORG) for $117.50 shipped. Supposedly the sale would be over in a few days so I decided to get the knife while I could, etc. I've been back to the site after I made my purchase and it appeared the sale was still going on so I'm thinking I could have possibly waited. It's all good though, I got a knife I've really been wanting for a while at a much cheaper price than I had been anticipating.

Also, for some time now, I've been thinking of acquiring a competent first aid kit. I'm thinking my triage will be an excellent piece to keep in my emergency bag/kit. Esee has a great kit that I'd like to have but there's also a first aid section on M4 Carbine that can provide excellent examples of what you might need in a kit. I'm going to study the topic and come up with something that will be appropriate for me and my needs.

I know a nurse that gives first aid training. I've been trying to pin her down on the date for the next class she is going to give. She told me that I can attend for free - a great opportunity! That reminds me - I need to call her again.

On a different note, I really love the handles on this knife. I love the orange color and the texture. The handles allow for a solid/non-slipping purchase. The only thing I might not like about the handles - in time, I think the orange might look dingy after it gets dirty. I'll have to wait and see how they hold up.

One more thing - the orange handles are hard to photograph (at least they were for me); hence the Glock brochure for contrast. I also used a comic book back drop for color and to provide good contrast but at the same time, it was a little busy.

After I bought this knife, I looked up a couple of reviews and both reviews said the same thing; this knife ships dull. I will say that this may have been the case in the past but the one I received is razor sharp (as sharp as you would expect from a Benchmade).

I know how the adage goes; without pictures, this thread is worthless.

So for your viewing pleasure, wa' la;

All I will say is BASIC bleeding control and airway managment equipment.

1) Serile 4x4s and cling/roller gauze/kerlix to control bleeding
    2) Trauma shears
    3) Tape
    4) CPR mask for a kit and a CPR facesheild for EDC

It couldnt hurt to have a couple of triangle bandages for a sling and swath or last ditch tournequit. SAM Splints have always been a favorate of mine as well. But thoes are items you really wont or shouldnt use unless your a long way from medical attention

There is no reason for anyone to go overboard with fancy stuff like Quik Clot or combat tournequits. Many proffesional EMS responders cant use the things I see in many lay-persons kits and personaly I wont use anything offered to me by a bystander. We have guidelines (a scope of practice) we must follow. Off duty I dont carry more than the basics mentioned above not even oxygen and I can do a lot under my scope

Anyways, I hope this helps a little. Get first aid and CPR certified, preferably through the American Heart Association.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Yep...6 years in EMS and after carrying a whole first aid kit with me on a backpacking trip, I decided after to see which of that would realistically be useful. The result: My entire first aid kit now fits in a ziplock back....If that isn't enough, I wasn't realistically going to be able to save the person anyway.
    Ionracas likes this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

This is something I've pondered quite a bit and I personally decided that in the event I have to use my handgun, I want the option and ability to treat any wound that may be inflicted. Due to this, I have elected to carry the trauma kits from ITS Tactical (MEDCOM). I carry their small one (ITS EDC Trauma Kit) in my backpack/computer bag that is with me all of the time. I carry the larger one (ITS ETA Trauma Kit) in my larger bag. Also, I've had quite a bit of medical training (Boy Scouts, US Army, Red Cross) so I keep my skills honed. Dark Angel Medical is also worth considering (About the Product).

I always thought the IFAK (individual first aid kit) that is issued to all military personelle in combat was a little overkill. Mine had more stuff in it than most people would've known what to do with. Why would a lay-soldier need a hemcon bandage or a chest decompression needle? I used them as a combat medic, but none of the other soldiers or marines knew what to do with them. Hell, even the nose hose was a strange sight for them.

KISS it to death. You would be surprised what you can do with what's around you.
    Ionracas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonosam View Post
    I always thought the IFAK (individual first aid kit) that is issued to all military personelle in combat was a little overkill. Mine had more stuff in it than most people would've known what to do with. Why would a lay-soldier need a hemcon bandage or a chest decompression needle? I used them as a combat medic, but none of the other soldiers or marines knew what to do with them. Hell, even the nose hose was a strange sight for them.

KISS it to death. You would be surprised what you can do with what's around you.
    Combat lifesaver dosnt include training in all of that equipment? Anyways, I can sooner understand the lay-soldier carrying thoes items than a civillian. I think a battlefield is a place I would want extra medical equipment. The lay-civillian has ABSOLOUTLEY NO need for anything more than some bandages and a CPR mask because EMS average response time almost anywhere is well under 10 minutes.

Ive heard talk that the Army is finaly going to be training their medics to the civillian National Registry standards so they will actualy be certified out of AIT. Good for them!
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

Senior Moderator
    My first aid kit is geared mainly for the treament of 3-5 year old boys since that is the primary people that I treat. So lots of band-aids, antibiotic cream, burn cream, cold/hot packs, iboprofen/acetominiphine etc...with a couple of rolls of gauze, triangle bandage and a few other odds and ends
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonosam View Post

When did you get out? Combat Lifesaver includes training on all of that, and CLS has been done as part of basic training for at least five years now.

Granted, none of that means privates are competent with the equipment, but the training is provided.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I was never in the Army, just served in a joint tour in Afghanistan. Still on AD currently. As far as training goes, sure it may have been gone over, but if it isn't practised, they lose it. I can't tell you how many times I came across a service member (Army and Marines mainly and of all different ranks) trying and failing to administer first aid. Sure the "combat" aspect adds to the difficulty, but if you practise enough (as with anything), it becomes second nature.

I am sure Combat Lifesaver does include it, but it isn't gone over repeatedly, or at least it didn't seem that it was. Having never been in the Army or Marines (I am Navy), I don't really know what they train other than what I have been told. I know that I was issued my IFAK and told that that was my first aid kit. They said, "Familiarize yourself with it and learn what everything does." That was the extent of my training on the IFAK until I went through an Army Combat Med class while in country.

As far as the IFAK being better served in combat than in the civilian world, you are correct, but I still think they could have left some of the things out.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the advice & tips!

Great thread.

No problem. If you were in the area Id let you know when I plan a class. Deffinatlry follow up wih your friend or check the American Heart Association website for a list of instructors and training centers in your area. Good luck.
    DefConGun likes this.
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

Links