which is brighter ?

This is a discussion on which is brighter ? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you had 2 flashlights,one is a LED the other incandesent,but both with the same batteries,which one would be the brightest?I have a brinkman maxfire ...

Thread: which is brighter ?

which is brighter ?

If you had 2 flashlights,one is a LED the other incandesent,but both with the same batteries,which one would be the brightest?I have a brinkman maxfire with 2 cr123 lithium batteries,would the same size with led like say,the surefire e2e be any brighter? thanks. sj

2. Remove Ads

The surefire E2e is an incandesent. The LED equivilant of the E2e would be the E2o outdoorsman. Lets run the numbers,

Brinkman Maxfire
    (following number are lux readings)
    Throw......4000 at beam center.
    Overall.....6400

Surefire E2o
    Throw......1600 at beam center
    Overall......2300

Just for kicks and grins lets look at the Surefire E2e
    Throw.......1325 at beam center
    Overall.......4000

Obviously, the Maxfire is the brightest of them all. The E2o has more throw than its incadesent brother but not as much overall brightness. But wait, theres more. :D Lets look a couple more LED lights.

Surefire U2
    Throw.......1885 At beam center
    Overall......5500 :D (there ya go...thats the stuff)

Surefire L4
    Throw.......512 at beam center
    Overall......5800 (even better :))

Fenix L2T (on alkaline AA's)
    Throw.......1000 at beam center
    Overall......3150 (not too shaby for AA's.)

So, its really depending on the light its self. One thing to remember though, most LED lights that are 2x123s and many others are regulated. That means you get the same or more runtime only the light WILL NOT DIM over the that time.......In fact, lets take a look at runtimes as well. :D

Runtimes are to 50% brightness.

Brinkman Maxfire=44 minutes

Surefire E2o=1 hour 29 minutes

Surefire E2e=48 minutes

Surefire U2 (on high)=1 hour 4 minutes

Surefire L4=1 hour 21 minutes

Fenix L2T=1 hour 19 minutes

:) clipse

BTW the info was taken from www.flashlightreviews.com
    Last edited by clipse; September 22nd, 2006 at 09:47 AM.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

million light man speaks again!

I'm a total know-nothing when it comes to the different types of lights. I've seen them rated by lumens, lux, candlepower, amps...

How can an ordinary guy like me know what to expect if I see a review of an individual light (with nothing familiar to compare it to)?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My way of thinking (from expierance).

Given the same candlepower,lumens,etc., a incadesent will be more "useable" than a LED. This,from my use of both in the thick swamps at night and from use in my boat on the rivers at night. A incandesant will light up a reflector at a greater distance and will allow it to reflect its true color. Also an incadesent will show colors better(truer)and shadows will appear more distinct. When shineing both through the woods your depth perciption will be better with an incadesant lamp also. Also the LED light does not seem to remain as bright as an incadesent if you put a red or blue filter on it.

I have several LED type lights. I even have one of the 3 watt models that is very bright. But I always have a Xeon type incadesent along with me just for the worst of times. -------

Quote Originally Posted by ceetee View Post
    I'm a total know-nothing when it comes to the different types of lights. I've seen them rated by lumens, lux, candlepower, amps...

How can an ordinary guy like me know what to expect if I see a review of an individual light (with nothing familiar to compare it to)?
    Nine times out of ten, before I buy a light, I check www.flashlightreviews.com.He usually gives an indication of what a flashlight would be good for. He will also show the lux at the center of the beam and overal lux out of a homemade integrated sphere. Simlest way is to look at the number on that site and compare them. Often times manufacturers will exagerate thier claims of lumens and candlepower. So, its difficult unless either someone has reviewed both lights and has comparable brightness readings, or you happen to have both lights and can compare them to each other.

Another good way is just to ask about a certain light on here or www.candlepowerforums.com (I hope its ok to link to another forum). The guys at www.candlepowerforums.com get really deep sometimes. They breakdown flashlights by efficiency more than usefulness sometimes.

Hope that helps alittle.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

wow..thanks for the info

there's a forum for everything!

Check 'em out at flashlightreview. Play around with them. Then buy a couple different ones you think you will like. Most places will let you return if you're unhappy with them. Though I think brightness is very important, you'll also want to consider size and ease of carry. A super bright light that won't ride in your pocket or on your belt will get left home. Get a light you will actually carry.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

thanks a lot guys,especially clipse,I appreciate the information.It looks like I will just keep my $20 brinkman and not spend any more money. sj

This Was Excellent Info...

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    ...So, its really depending on the light its self. One thing to remember though, most LED lights that are 2x123s and many others are regulated. That means you get the same or more runtime only the light WILL NOT DIM over the that time.......
    [/url]
    and you are certainly correct when you say 'it will not dim'...it just goes out...
    Not realizing this, I first thought that the bulb had blown. I changed bulbs with...no light...then I had one of those 'ahaaaaa' moments! Now I always carry extra batteries on my person.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    and you are certainly correct when you say 'it will not dim'...it just goes out...
    Not realizing this, I first thought that the bulb had blown. I changed bulbs with...no light...then I had one of those 'ahaaaaa' moments! Now I always carry extra batteries on my person.

ret
    I'm curious, Most of my lights and most regulated LEDs when they run out on batteries they go into a 'moon mode' which is very dim but still usable for finding batteries. Even the regulated Surefire A2 does this. LEDs should need their bulbs replaces and most are easily user replacable. What light did you change a bulb in?

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    My way of thinking (from expierance).

Given the same candlepower,lumens,etc., a incadesent will be more "useable" than a LED. This,from my use of both in the thick swamps at night and from use in my boat on the rivers at night. A incandesant will light up a reflector at a greater distance and will allow it to reflect its true color. Also an incadesent will show colors better(truer)and shadows will appear more distinct. When shineing both through the woods your depth perciption will be better with an incadesant lamp also. Also the LED light does not seem to remain as bright as an incadesent if you put a red or blue filter on it.

I have several LED type lights. I even have one of the 3 watt models that is very bright. But I always have a Xeon type incadesent along with me just for the worst of times. -------
    I agree 100%!

Links