Lubricant Advice from Benchmade

This is a discussion on Lubricant Advice from Benchmade within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided to write in to Benchmade and ask them about an appropriate lubricant for my Griptilian. Here's what occurred, verbatim; ME "Hi, What should ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DefConGun
  • 1 Post By sgb
  • 1 Post By bigdog44
  • 1 Post By Ghettokracker71

Thread: Lubricant Advice from Benchmade

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I decided to write in to Benchmade and ask them about an appropriate lubricant for my Griptilian.

Here's what occurred, verbatim;

ME

"Hi,

What should I use to lubricate my Griptilian? I have some EWL Slip 2000 that's used to lubricate AR15s. Is this a good choice?

What do you recommend?"

BM

"I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, pretty much any lubricant is fine, as long as it is not a part solvent. The notable one we do not recommend is WD40, as it is 51% solvent, which the solvent is similar to kerosene.

Thank you,

Andrew Wagner
    Customer Service Representative
    Benchmade Knife Company
    Phone: 1-800-800-7427 ext 166"
    marcclarke likes this.

Good to know as I am sure more than one uses WD-40. I just use my Rem oil or Mobile 1 synthetic for pretty much everything from my knives to my 1911's.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

sgb
    I use synthetic grease, I just disassembled/cleaned/lubed/reassembled and sharpened an older Benchmade for a friend. I lubed it using synthetic wheel bearing grease and it opens with a pretty slick snap now.
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Good to know as I am sure more than one uses WD-40. I just use my Rem oil or Mobile 1 synthetic for pretty much everything from my knives to my 1911's.
    Unless Rem oil has changed it's formula it contains a solvent.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Unless Rem oil has changed it's formula it contains a solvent.
    Well that throws me right in the bucket with WD -40. Guess I just learned something new. Thanks SGB. I looking for the can now. Guess I might need to rethink this one.
    marcclarke likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Maybe because I'm young (under 30) , I've never been big on WD-40 for use as a lubricant or penetrating oil, and not sure why so many people love it so much. I use WD-40 as a adhesive remover,and cleaner/degreaser for tools, when I used to work in an auto-parts store they sprayed the counters nightly with WD-40 to remove grease from parts.

For loosing bolts I use PB Blaster, Royal-Purple Max-Film and/or Amsoil MP.

For general lubrication I use spray white lithium grease or spray silicone. (squeaky hinges, locks, sunroof tracks, works great to keep a lowered car with aftermarket bushings quiet on bumps too)

My Spyderco EDC folder has white lithium grease as a lubricant. Sprayed some where the bolt that holds the blade is (not sure technical term) and opened/closed it several times, wiped off the excess and moved on,...
    DefConGun likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I like Mil-Tec1 grease for a knife lubricant. It's buttery smooth. I'll have to give Nano-Oil a try as it also has had some rave reviews.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Maybe because I'm young (under 30) , I've never been big on WD-40 for use as a lubricant or penetrating oil, and not sure why so many people love it so much. I use WD-40 as a adhesive remover,and cleaner/degreaser for tools, ...For loosing bolts I use PB Blaster, Royal-Purple Max-Film and/or Amsoil MP.

For general lubrication I use spray white lithium grease or spray silicone.
    This.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I also have never been a big fan of WD-40 for guns. As far as lube for your knife goes, benchmade make's a cleaner and lubricant called blue lube. I don't know why the guy at benchmade didn't mention it, it works great.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    WD-40 is the only product that failed to perform on any of my firearms, and that includes auto, marine, and sewing products.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You guys might want to try Frog Lube.

http://www.froglube.com/

So far for my knifes and CC glock I have been extremely surprised.

Links