Should I get a brighter lamp for my surefire?

This is a discussion on Should I get a brighter lamp for my surefire? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a surefire G2Z and I'm thinking of getting the 120 lumen lamp to upgrade my 80 lumen one. Is it worth it for ...

I have a surefire G2Z and I'm thinking of getting the 120 lumen lamp to upgrade my 80 lumen one. Is it worth it for the extra 30% light in a self defence aspect? I have new mag led D-cell to use for normal lighting requirements. Also the new led replacement for my mag 4D cell is just as bright as using the Krypton bulb. Is the new mini mag LED high output light worth the $23 over the $9 normal one?
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I have a surefire G2Z and I'm thinking of getting the 120 lumen lamp to upgrade my 80 lumen one. Is it worth it for the extra 30% light in a self defence aspect?
    Get one and keep your original one as a backup. It's not that pricey, and when one of them does give out, it's really nice to have a spare on hand.

FWIW, my G2's P60 assembly now lives in my old Brinkmann Maxfire LX that I couldn't find a replacement bulb for. I keep it in the little change pocket of the car for quick access while sitting.

I have a surefire G2Z and I'm thinking of getting the 120 lumen lamp to upgrade my 80 lumen one. Is it worth it for the extra 30% light in a self defence aspect?
    In short, yes it is worth the extra 30%. That is, if you don't mind the really short runtime. Its deffinately not something for general usage. Where did you get n 80 Lumen lamp for you G2Z? I've only seen 65 lumen and 120 lumen lamps.

I have new mag led D-cell to use for normal lighting requirements. Also the new led replacement for my mag 4D cell is just as bright as using the Krypton bulb. Is the new mini mag LED high output light worth the $23 over the $9 normal one?
    I did a review of the 2AA Mini Maglite. Here is something interesting I took from the review I did. :)

First lets see what the old Mini Mag looks like. :D
    narrow beam on left, wide/flood beam on right.

Now the new Mini Mag-Lite LED
    The cameral settings were all the same and both sets of batteries were new.

On top of that, my mini maglite lasted 4 1/2 hours before it shut off with very little dimming throughout the entire time. It stayed very bright THE ENTIRE TIME. Compare that to the mini mag that reached 50% of its starting brightness at alittle over 40 minutes. I would say it is DEFFINATELY worth the extra money. :)

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I agree with clipse - I changed out the bulb to the higher lumen and it definitely goes through the batteries.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Oops the lamp is 65 lumen so I would be getting double the light output for a stun/blind effect. I will get a case that will hold my old lamp and 6 batteries to go with it. And thanks for the mini mag review the difference really is dramatic. The 3 LED that I bought is easy on the batteries but the new mag LED is way more powerful.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I also upgraded my Surefire G2 with a high output P61 head. While battery life is short it is carried as part of my self defense gear and not as a general purpose flashlight. Already have that covered with a Maglight if I need it. The 125 lumens hurts! It will also screw up someones night vision for a while. Just what I want it to do....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I would get the high output bulb. I have six Surefire's and have put the high output bulb in all but one of them. The one left with the regular output I use for an all around flashlight. The others are more for tactical uses.

They will for sure eat up batteries faster but, OMG the light is brighter and the throw is longer.

The P-61 is brigther and have more coverage (the circle is bigger) the throw is just about the same or just a little bit more, as it depends on the reflector size and finish (and both are the same)

Here is how they compare at 20 meters:

P-61 lamp 120 lumens

P-60 lamp, 65 lumens

And here is the Surefire M-6 with the 500 lumens lamp.

Regards
    black bear
    Builder of the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight

and www.blackbearflashlights.com

E-Mail admin@blackbearflashlights.com

For Me...

the 65 lumens offers a combination of decent run time and the ability to 'blind'...try having someone shine one in your face when you don't expect it...that thing is BRIGHT...gives enough time to draw...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links