Remora review/advice

This is a discussion on Remora review/advice within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I just wanted to stop in and give my opinion on the Remora holster I got for my Ruger sr9c. I order a ...

Thread: Remora review/advice

Remora review/advice

Hello all, I just wanted to stop in and give my opinion on the Remora holster I got for my Ruger sr9c.

I order a the 6art holster with the extra magazine holder and it arrived in exactly 7 days (including the weekend).

I was a little hesitant to go overboard with a lot of gear so I didn't want a spare mag holder on my weak side hip. The mag holder attached to the holster seemed like a great way for me to get around that and still have a spare.

Having worn it out and about, and having practiced drawing from it, I wish I would have just gotten the holster with no mag attachment. I wear it at 4:00 and the 17 round mag prints quite a bit. On top of that, it makes it difficult to get a good grip with my thumb while drawing. On top of THAT, reaching all the way across my body for a magazine is a slower and definitely less efficient. Granted, this isn't the fault of the manufacturer and I should have known all of this before purchasing, but again, this is my first time carrying.

Having said that, my extra mag choice wasn't the best but the holster itself stays put. Sometimes I get a little nervous that it is moving, or that it is going to move but it hasn't yet. I do like it a lot and I think it'd be best for someone who is going to be taking it off and putting it back, throughout the day.

All in all, I like the holster (it stays put and is comfortable) a lot and I definitely recommend it... just make sure to pass on the mag holder.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Yeah, I wouldn't go for the attached mag holster. I used Remora quite a bit (have a single mag holster that I use left front pocket, and that works great) and they are good. But someone on this forum, or another, had recommended to try the Sticky Holster, which is very similar to the Remora. I have become a "Sticky fan" because it is lighter weight than the Remora and it feels softer and better against my skin. In fact, it stays put a little better than the Remora (at least for me). But, I have nothing bad to say about Remora. They are good and my wife's family uses them exclusively. I did get my wife a Sticky for her M&P Shield and she loves it.

Oh, and by the way - Welcome to the site. Hope you find it enjoyable here. I know I have.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Thank you very much for the input (and the welcome). I see that remora has no dealers out here in Phoenix, but Sticky does. I may go take a look at some of the shops out here and check out the sticky ones (man, that sounds bad).

Thanks again!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt View Post
    ...check out the sticky ones (man, that sounds bad).
    Yeah, it does. Make sure to wash your hands after your visit.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Welcome aboard. I'll bet if you contact Remora and explain the situation to them they will replace your holster with one that does not have the mag carrier attached. Read the info that came with the holster. I think they have a no questions asked return or make it right kind of policy. Contact them.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Welcome aboard. I'll bet if you contact Remora and explain the situation to them they will replace your holster with one that does not have the mag carrier attached. Read the info that came with the holster. I think they have a no questions asked return or make it right kind of policy. Contact them.
    I can second that statement. I should have said the same as well. Thanks darbo for pointing that out.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I'm almost sure Alan would swap you out for the holster you would be better off with. You know......I could never figure out those mag holder/holster combos myself.......until I started carrying appendix. If you're carrying strong side I wouldn't see the need nor benefit.

Alan did a swap for me. He is a great guy to deal with

Just an update, I ended up trying out a "sticky holster," then I got my hands on the 6art rft remora without mag holder. There are a few differences that I came across...

First, something that definitely made a difference was the fact that the tacky/grippy material came over the top opening (where the gun goes) in the remora, but did not in the sticky. I found that the sticky holster held fine iwb but if I took it out at all (I like to take it out while driving) it offered virtually no retention. The remora, on the other hand, really grips the gun and actually makes the holster and gun feel like a single unit. Depending on what you want, one may suit you better than the other. Personally, I like having the holster stay on the gun until I deliberately pull it out.

*I'm putting a disclaimer on these next two differences. They are just my opinion on what I think could happen down the line.

Moving on, the feel of each holster is slightly different in two ways. The remora's rubberized material feels like it would stick to anything. This could be good (if you want it to stay put, no matter what) or bad (if you have dainty hip skin and are worried about irritation with direct contact) depending on how you look at it. The sticky, on the other hand, has a much softer feeling outer layer. Let me say that while wearing the sticky, I personally didn't notice any "slippage." However, if I had to bet on which holster would hold tighter during some crazy backflip test, I'd put my money on the remora.

Lastly, and again this is just my opinion, but the remora just feels like it could take more of a beating than the sticky. The remora is pretty beefy, slightly heavier and just feels sturdier. The sticky is light weight, soft and just feels a bit suspect to me.

Again, those last two issues were just my opinion and both holsters performed well (I wore both ccw and in idpa matches). However, when it boils down to it, I'd recommend the Remora.

All in all, I think that's a great comparison of the two closely competitive holsters in an unbiased review. I've personally tried them both and have to give my preference to Remora as well. Again....carry is a personal ordeal. Your life, your day, your attire......everything you do revolves around your carry (or it should).

Don't know much about the holster other than this video.

Remora No-Clip IWB Holster - review & demo from faliaphotography on youtube.com
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post
    Don't know much about the holster other than this video.

Remora No-Clip IWB Holster - review & demo from faliaphotography on youtube.com
    Nice review and from a girl nonetheless. Gotta love it. If you don't.....I think it's guaranteed. Girls are more particular than guys. They're also better shooters on average.

Distinguished Member
    The GF and I are both sold on Remora's... very comfortable and they simply stay wherever you put them. I still use the N82 holster when the situation calls for a tuckable, but 80% of the time it's the Remora.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Links