Safe storage of shotguns and rifles without a big safe

This is a discussion on Safe storage of shotguns and rifles without a big safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have heard some folks say trigger locks don't work. I'd like to own a rifle or shotgun, but I don't have room for a big ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Safe storage of shotguns and rifles without a big safe

Safe storage of shotguns and rifles without a big safe

Have heard some folks say trigger locks don't work. I'd like to own a rifle or shotgun, but I don't have room for a big safe. Is there a safe way to store them without one? We have children, one of whom is mentally disabled.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    A good hard-sided rifle/shotgun case can be secured with a padlock or built in lock (or both). Pelican, Plano, Browning and SKB are only a few manufacturers of good quality, secure-able cases.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Any of the cable-type gunlocks will work - run the cable through the action / breech and lock. If a bolt action, remove the bolt and lock it up.
    AZJD1968 likes this.

There is also a company out there that makes a wall anchored mounting system for a closet for example that let's you secure a single shotgun inside the closet. They are nice as they let you access at night but securely lock in day. Covers entire trigger area. Cool if you are only purchasing one or two for home defense purpose as well.

Last I saw Costco had them. Shotlock solo vault is the product I believe. for Shotguns and pistols
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I buy the cable locks from master lock (12.00) and they are long enough that you can use them in your truck or car to secure the gun to the seat mounts if you have to leave then to enter a "no gun zone" plus they are much stronger then the ones you get from the gun mfg's

Administrator
    See if one of the Stainless Steel or Heavy Guage Aluminum locking Truck Tool Boxes will work out for you. Lots less expensive than a safe if you just want to keep kiddos out.
    There are many brands out there. You might even be able to pick one up used for lots less.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've got a cable lock for my AR while I'm at school. While it doesn't control access, it does prevent the rifle from functioning.

Senior Moderator
    You can get a Stack-on gun security cabinet its not a gun safe and is not that big or heavy. Or you can go with a rifle case that can be locked with a pad lock
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If you're not using the guns for defensive reasons, you can store the shotgun broken down, and for a rifle you can remove the bolt, depending on the type of rifle.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I put an electronic keypad lock on my basement closet door.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    A lockable gun case is good and probably the cheapest and most versatile, when you want to take it with you, it's ready to go. Another option is one of those in wall safes. Doesn't take up any extra space, provided you own the home.

Stack-On In-Wall Cabinet, Beige - Walmart.com
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I use the stack on cabinets. Easy to move, mounted to a wall, good enough for keeping kids out and DOJ approved. Is the reason for your question you only have one gun, space is an issue, cost prohibitive? You have been given examples that cover this whole range, just wondered as we may be able to narrow our responses.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I use the stack on cabinets. Easy to move, mounted to a wall, good enough for keeping kids out and DOJ approved. Is the reason for your question you only have one gun, space is an issue, cost prohibitive? You have been given examples that cover this whole range, just wondered as we may be able to narrow our responses.
    Thanks for the responses. Primarily the issue is space. Just no space for a decent safe that would be big enough to hold a shotgun. Cost is secondary reason for seeking alternatives. My shooting is a low priority hobby, I try to keep costs down.

Some great choices here, much appreciated. I think I got it figured out now. Now to determine which one to buy... ;)

I saw a 4 long gun safe on TV the other day, sorry don't remember the mfg. It looked smaller than my Stack On cabinet. It also had a shelf in the top of the safe.

Some possibilities, without a safe: TufLoc weapons racks; Defense Vault, by AMSEC; Santa Cruz Gun Locks; V-Line Closet Vault; MSE LifeJacket; RAC gun locks; Gun Rack, by FSR; Smart Rail Gun Rack, by LEID.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links