18650 Battery Recommendations???

This is a discussion on 18650 Battery Recommendations??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been running my Fenix PD32 (which is awesome btw) on CR123A batteries. I would like to go with a rechargeable 18650 but the Amazon ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Enzo411
  • 1 Post By whoppo

Thread: 18650 Battery Recommendations???

I've been running my Fenix PD32 (which is awesome btw) on CR123A batteries. I would like to go with a rechargeable 18650 but the Amazon reviews are all over the place for these batteries and chargers. Does anyone have a 18650 battery they've had good luck with?

Thanks.

I don't know if you have any experience with Li-Ion batteries, but they can be extremely dangerous if you don't do a little initial research. They can literally explode or catch fire if you do not take the correct precautions during use and especially charging.

That being said, I would only buy protected batteries. I can't emphasize that enough. I also only buy AW brand Li-Ion batteries. The next important thing is to buy a quality charger. My favorite charger is a custom made from "Cottonpickers".
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

That's why I didn't order the Ultrafire batteries from Amazon. Cheap and unreliable at best, dangerous at worst. Where is a good source for AW batteries?

I've used 18650's rechargeable Li-on batteries for years. Never had any issues.....the only problem I've had is that the life span of the the Li-on batteries is ridiculously short until they fail completely. Have not had that problem with the numerous rechargeable CR123's.

I've used the Ultrafire 18650's with very good success. They works just as well as the more expensive brands.....both eventually fail to charge and lose all power just sitting in the flashlight. Instead of the 18650's now, I just use a comparable number of CR123's.

I've orderd from this site and they are ok.

BatterySpace.com/AA Portable Power Corp. Tel: 510-525-2328 - Powerizer Battery Official Site

and from here:

Li-Ion Rechargeable Batteries
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
    That's why I didn't order the Ultrafire batteries from Amazon. Cheap and unreliable at best, dangerous at worst. Where is a good source for AW batteries?
    - I like Going Gear for Li-Ion batteries.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I like Going Gear for Li-Ion batteries.
    Great place for flashlights and batteries. I've bought all my stuff from them. Also great YouTube channel demonstrating different flashlights.
    surefire7 likes this.

I use the Fenix ARB-L2 batteries in my Klarus XT11, and I've been pleased with performance so far.

Bob at Harris Outdoors is great to deal with; he answered a lot of questions and gave good advice when I was researching flashlights.

Harris Outdoors | Adventurous

(The Fenix batteries are not listed on their website; you'll have to give them a call)

Distinguished Member
    I've tried a variety of 18650 Li-ion batteries in my 1 watt lasers and have had the best luck with Tenergy 2600mAh's (with protection PCB). I buy pretty much all of our batteries from batteryjunction.com and have been very happy with them as well.

Tenergy 30006 Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh rechargeable battery Flat Top FULLY PROTECTED with PCB Lithium Ion

As tokerblue mentioned, a decent charger is important as well. I've had good luck with this one [ Ultrafire wf-139 Lithium Ion battery charger 14500, 17500, 17670, 18500, 18650, 18670 ] - but there are probably better ones available.
    Sontag likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I've tried a variety of 18650 Li-ion batteries in my 1 watt lasers and have had the best luck with Tenergy 2600mAh's (with protection PCB). I buy pretty much all of our batteries from batteryjunction.com and have been very happy with them as well.

Tenergy 30006 Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh rechargeable battery Flat Top FULLY PROTECTED with PCB Lithium Ion

As tokerblue mentioned, a decent charger is important as well. I've had good luck with this one [ Ultrafire wf-139 Lithium Ion battery charger 14500, 17500, 17670, 18500, 18650, 18670 ] - but there are probably better ones available.
    Thanks for the suggestion, whoppo. I think I'll try a couple of the Tenergy batteries.

I use the same Ultrafire charger; works well for me, too.

For the past couple of years, I've used the AW 2600 mAh 18650 cells, purchased through LightHound. There are now higher-capacity ones (2900 mAh and 3100 mAh). You can read up on these batteries @ CandlePowerForums.com.

Excellent durability. Perfect stability and reliability, even when driven hard by high-output, multi-LED lights. There are flat-top and button-top variants, depending on the requirements of your flashlight(s).

The charger I use is a simple UltraFire WF-188 3.7V charger.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

streamlight 124 batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
    I've been running my Fenix PD32 (which is awesome btw) on CR123A batteries. I would like to go with a rechargeable 18650 but the Amazon reviews are all over the place for these batteries and chargers. Does anyone have a 18650 battery they've had good luck with?

Thanks.
    I use the streamlight 124 batteries instead of 123, cheaper, last longer. 12 pack for 24.00 or less, at batteriesplus

According to Battery Junction, the Ultrafire 18650 3000mah is slightly fatter than normal and will not fit a Fenix light.

I have a Tenergy 2600 mAh battery in my PF32 Ultra. I also got the Tenergy 01270 TN270 Li-ion Battery Charger.

So far so good.

Sponsored Links