Bug out bag contents - Page 2

Bug out bag contents

This is a discussion on Bug out bag contents within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...and a mule to haul it. :)...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bug out bag contents

...and a mule to haul it. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Senior Moderator
    I would also suggest you keep in down to 40-50lbs without guns and ammo
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Dont have a bug out bag since Im likely to stay and fight in one of those SHTF scenarios, but I do have a survival bag. ALICE pack with 9 MREs, camelbak, 1 lt canteen, water buffalo, 2 led flashlights+batteries, 30 foot length of rope, flint stick, matches, lighter+refill, 4 foil blankets, pup tent, change of BDUs, bayonet & field strip knife set, 5 tournequets, bar soap, a few towels and extra .40 & .22 mags with ammo in a few ziploc bags. I might have some 7.62x54R in it too. I take it with me when i take my yearly weeklong hike on the Superior Hiking Trail, long road trips and hunting. Though when I hunt, I leave it in my truck and bring the tournaquets and the camelbak unless the weather looks crappy or Im humpin it a long diatance. Its also my storm kit since we get lots of tornadoes up here. Not too much, but its manageable even with an ankle sprain and it allows for about 2 weeks assuming I dont find or shoot anything edible. Dont have to worry about looking for water around here, its everywhere lol. Only thing Im looking to add is a flare gun since i prefer to keep it light.

Might give you an idea of somebody elses gear in case you look at switching up a few items. BTW, Im assuming car broken down, house fire or being wounded when I packed it. What you can carry kind of depends on your physical condition though.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post

I see a compass, but no mention of maps. A GPS would also be a nice thing to have.
    2 compasses would be ideal since one of them is lying. Another thing you can do is follow a river or stream downstream. They almost always lead to larger waterways which lead to civilization. At the worst if it leads to a remote lake, its a fresh water source and eventually something you can eat will walk into your crosshairs.

Im assuming youre either lost or hiding in the wilderness.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Dont have a bug out bag since Im likely to stay and fight in one of those SHTF scenarios, but I do have a survival bag.
    Not all circumstances that would make a go bag handy require fighting off dirtbags from your home. Flooding, Tornado's, and other severe weather dangers are a concern as well.

Administrator
    That's RIGHT. If your goal is SURVIVAL the Teriyaki & Rice is the one to stay away from. You are trying to survive and that one will plain out kill you.

Thank You for mentioning that. I must have blocked that one out of my brain.

That one IS the worst one. The Teriyaki & Rice. Most of the other ones are pretty decent decent. I couldn't eat that one either.

Pasta Alfredo is good. Cheesy Lasangna is pretty good. Creamy Chicken Al La King & rice was good.

Creamy Tomato Basil...pass on that one - terrible.

The Chili Macaroni some kids liked but, I wasn't crazy about it.

Savory Stroganoff was good.

Those are about all the ones I've tried from their emergency pak.

Quote Originally Posted by sinzitu View Post
    QKShooter mentioned the Wise food packs. I would recommend trying a few different ones to see what you actually like. I believe they will send a single pack sample for free from their website. You may also find single packs at some gun shows or your LGS.

Just an fyi from my personal experience. The sample we had was Teriyaki & Rice. No one in my family found it palatable. (I know in an emergency that is all relative but better to find out now what will work for you).
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Not all circumstances that would make a go bag handy require fighting off dirtbags from your home. Flooding, Tornado's, and other severe weather dangers are a concern as well.
    Yeah well if you read further in my post, i told you the main use of it. And when you say SHTF, im assuming that its hitting the fan now, not it hit the fan 15 minites ago and now im crawling out of my destroyed house, so yeah, maybe a riot and theyre throwing rocks and molotovs at your house....dont know about you but im not fleeing that one.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Sunblock and Ziplock bags
    tricolordad likes this.

Toilet paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BABY WIPES TOO!

So many of the suggestions remind me of backpacking as a young adult . I would suggest a nice heavy plastic bag. You can put the pack it it, poke holes where pack straps go through and your stuff is dry in a downpour. If you can't fit the pack in your shelter I would even strap the pack to a tree with the plastic bag on it my stuff was dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Toilet paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BABY WIPES TOO!
    If you buy boxes of MREs the TP comes with the condiments

This is going to sound absurd to some of y'all but I did a hiking trip a few years back and the whole group of 11 had not one sheet of toilet paper. Leave no trace guidelines prefer no TP so we were told not to bring it. We used sticks and rocks.... Now I know some/most/all of you are cringing in pain but I swear that it wasn't bad at all. I preferred rocks. All it took was a little planning before you did your business and you were fine.

Senior Moderator
    .22 pistol wth suppressor for quiet shots without alerting everyone in a 2 mile radius.
    tricolordad and QKShooter like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I pack a small plastic bottle of biodegradable camp soap. It's lighter than a bar of soap and it lasts a long time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links