Bug out bag contents - Page 3

Bug out bag contents

This is a discussion on Bug out bag contents within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you're thinking seriously about bugging out - ideally you need a specific place to bug out to. You need to have a destination in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bug out bag contents

Administrator
    If you're thinking seriously about bugging out - ideally you need a specific place to bug out to. You need to have a destination in mind.

If you think that you're just going to bug out into the woods and live there forever with Bigfoot...you might want to re-think that unless it ever becomes 100% Absolutely necessary.

There are reasons WHY we all live in houses or apartments or trailers NOW.

Rarely in history has there ever been a single catastrophic event that would cause citizens to have to bug out PERMANENTLY into remote, unpopulated places unknown.

If some situation arises where you need to bug out and just get away from the general population for a few weeks (and for whatever reason) that is a completely different story.

For most folks that is entirely do-able.

I could go on and on (as some of you already know) but, it would be somewhat off topic to this thread.
    pgrass101 likes this.

bug spray... maybe I'm just a wimp, but losing 2 pints of blood to mosquitoes is going to make me lose focus in an already bad situation
    QKShooter and sinzitu like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    My not-really-a-"bug-out-bag" is my back packing set up. When I get back from a trip I re-stock my bag with food and water and it's pretty much ready for the next adventure. I figure if it's good enough for anything the four corner states can throw at me for day's on end it's good enough for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Edit: I forgot to address the OP. I would cut down hard core on your weight. There is a lot of "stuff" in there that you don't need. My point about my backpacking kit is that when you're actually carrying all those things you realize how quickly the weight adds up, and thus you trim the fat until you're only carrying the things you absolutely need.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    My not-really-a-"bug-out-bag" is my back packing set up. When I get back from a trip I re-stock my bag with food and water and it's pretty much ready for the next adventure. I figure if it's good enough for anything the four corner states can throw at me for day's on end it's good enough for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Edit: I forgot to address the OP. I would cut down hard core on your weight. There is a lot of "stuff" in there that you don't need. My point about my backpacking kit is that when you're actually carrying all those things you realize how quickly the weight adds up, and thus you trim the fat until you're only carrying the things you absolutely need.
    I plan on putting it together as listed and then trimming down weight where I feel that I can. I hiked 115 miles on one trip with about a 50lb pack so a fairly heavy pack Isnt foreign to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    I plan on putting it together as listed and then trimming down weight where I feel that I can. I hiked 115 miles on one trip with about a 50lb pack so a fairly heavy pack Isnt foreign to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    Right on. Best way to figure out your system is to use it.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    This is going to sound absurd to some of y'all but I did a hiking trip a few years back and the whole group of 11 had not one sheet of toilet paper. Leave no trace guidelines prefer no TP so we were told not to bring it. We used sticks and rocks.... Now I know some/most/all of you are cringing in pain but I swear that it wasn't bad at all. I preferred rocks. All it took was a little planning before you did your business and you were fine.
    Sorry, but given the choice between sticks or rocks, my planning before I did my business would involve remembering to bring toilet tissue along. I can only rough it so much.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Administrator
    A rare few of our eternally crabby forum members may have actually used sticks in close proximity to their respective asses and it obviously didn't work out out too very well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A rare few of our eternally crabby forum members may have actually used sticks in close proximity to their respective asses and it obviously didn't work out out too very well for them.
    Probably helps if the sticks aren't pointed, don'tcha think?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Rocks? Sticks? Sorry, the environment is going to have to live with some biodegradable TP buried in the ground. My second choice would be moss or leaves, but not rocks or sticks.

Good grief, doesn't all toilet tissue degrade? Anybody got hold of some synthetic stuff made from plastic that I'm unaware of? "Wipe your butt with a rock. It's better for the environment." Ask Rock how he feels about that.

Administrator
    Last time I checked toilet paper was made from trees.
    Chris Dawg likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Last time I checked toilet paper was made from trees.
    That's what I thought also. Trees.....soft trees.

Myk
    Sticks are made from trees as well.

Administrator
    Soft trees? I thought toilet tissue was made from Asspen trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    That's what I thought also. Trees.....soft trees.

__________________________________________________ _

OK Back on topic.

Any folks familiar with the BLIZZARD Bag? Another really good product. I have one but, have not used it since it's impossible to get them back as small as they are factory vacuum packaged.

I do know of a person (here in PA.) that had used one for 3 nights when the average night-time temps were around 17F - 20F - using it on top of a decent leaf pile to avoid direct ground contact - wearing a light wool cap and wool socks (boots off) and nothing special with regard to clothing. AKA T-Shirt - Long Sleeve Winter flannel shirt & I do not recall what type of pants. He said that he slept fine but, that the BLIZZARD crackled a bit...which is something that most folks mention. It's made from a noisy material and it crackles when you move.

This Winter I might try putting the SOL Escape inside the BLIZZARD in my quest for the lightest possible weight cold weather sleep system.
    I'm best guessing that I would be fine with only the BLIZZARD but, I am more concerned for Mrs. QK.
    I'll do a report once I try that. I actually don't mind sleeping a bit cold and I HATE sleeping HOT....so I'm curious to see how that will work out.
    There was a female on YouTube that did a night in the BLIZZARD and her night-time temp claim was 5 Degrees F.
    I'll see if that Video is still posted and I'll put it here if it's there.

As I have mentioned before. I hump for two since my lovely Wife cannot carry too much due to a past neck injury.

SO...if anybody has any LIGHTWEIGHT Cold Weather sleep system ideas then post them.

Forget about the Military 4 PC. Modular Sleep System...Yes, it's great for Sub-ZERO but, at about 10# of bulky weight each I am not humping two of them.

I did have a really nice 100% Goose Down bag but, at 4.5+ Pounds...I sold it a few years ago. I am really trying to slash weight and still provide my Better Half with decent comforts since she is NOT the type to want to rough it in minimalist style in any Bug Out scenario.

Bark'n likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That looks like an interesting product. I wish someone would make an all-in-one lightweight bivysack/sleeping bag that was breathable. My personal sleep and shelter setup - which works for 3 or 4 seasons - is one 5x7 nylon tarp, one bivysack, one therm-a-rest sleep pad, and, depending on season and temperature either a thermal bag liner, a wool blanket, or a sleeping bag for warmth. That's the lightest set up I have used personally that still allows for basic comfort and protection. My complete pack for three day's and two nights of backpacking is 30 pounds (assuming supplemental water sources are available on route).

Edit: Like QKshooter I would honestly love to find an even lighter setup for travel, any other good products out there? The Blizzard bag looks pretty cool, I wonder if it could be made for prolonged use?
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links