Bug out bag contents - Page 4

Bug out bag contents

This is a discussion on Bug out bag contents within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One past time I was out I did the 55 Gallon Drum Liner AKA Big Trash Bag stuffed with lots of leaves. That was incredibly ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bug out bag contents

Administrator
    One past time I was out I did the 55 Gallon Drum Liner AKA Big Trash Bag stuffed with lots of leaves. That was incredibly comfortable and I liked it more than a sleeping pad.
    Leaves are something that we have no shortage of here in all PA woods.

I'm also thinking about a Wiggy's Ultralite with synthetic Lamilite <~~~SP? in combination with the SOL Breathable & the 55 GAL Drum Liner to get off the ground.
    I'll probably test that one out in the backyard when Autumn starts moving into Winter.

I kinda like the idea of the Wiggy's bag since it can stay tightly compressed really small forever which can be problematic with Duck or Goose Down. But, then I'm back up to 3.5# again X 2 (2nd one for the Mrs.)

That is why I'm looking for ideas - and not to hi-jack this thread - I think it will be beneficial to everybody that wants to trim carry weight from a B.O.B.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I should add that I am far from the end-all beat all ultimate survival expert. I am quite decently familiar with my home State though and I do know where I am falling short.
    I am trying to learn all of the edible plant species here in PA which should pretty much cover me out for the Tri-State area. And in addition I do have some experience in some other radically different climes. But, for Bugging Out in these present times I (pretty much) just need to get from Point A to Point B (hopefully)

I DO believe that just "general camping" and getting out into Mama Nature AKA recreation, hunting, camping, hiking etc. and then just playing around with "survival stuff" when it is just FUN! can go a LONG way toward helping you out if it's ever for real. I love learning new types of traps & snares and there are more variations of those than I ever imagined.

It's also a great practical "test" of your stuff. You (very quickly) learn how to do very simple things like learning how to pack a bag so that it's balanced and not top heavy.
    You can only do that by actually lugging it. It's all a continual learning experience for me and especially when new products hit the market.

Just like carry handguns - everything is a Size, Weight, Comfort, compromise.

Now that I have surpassed my comfort weight limit of 55# I need to rethink a some things.
    For example: Do I want to move away from my heavier bag and switch to a super light weight (but less durable) bag from Gossamer Gear so that I can provide more comfort for my Wife.
    OR....do I just want to get a divorce...dump the biddy now...and buy a mule!?! Just Kidding Hon!

My only point being that you really need to learn the area that you're in. For me...picking up Desert Survival "Tips & Hints" is interesting but, not very useful for my area.
    So folks should tailor things for their Bug Out environment.

An example of that would be that here in PA, Ohio, W.V. we have water sources everywhere (unlike other areas) so that led me to the X-Pack which gives me the equivalent of 40+ Pounds (10 days worth) of clean fluids (from any water source) for 2 pounds of carry weight. I can then supply the Mrs. with perfectly pure liquid (w/ nutrients, electrolytes, sugars etc.) and I can use a simple straw filter for myself since we do not have water borne viruses here in PA.

Members may have surmised from the above that my Better Half is not into this at all.

Her personal idea of survival is making it through MACY'S during one of their Spectacular Year End Clothing Sales. So I need to factor that in.
    pgrass101 and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    I didn't read all the posts but add antibacterial hand wipes or hand sanitizer and hygeine supplies.

In addition to trauma stuff add a boo-boo kit. Small nicks and cuts can become infected quickly.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Administrator
    One more addition to this thread and then I'm turning in EARLY.

For those of you who do not have any rock bottom last ditch "food" in your B.O.B. yet. AKA Food Bars or DATREX bars etc. etc.
    One product that I did Guinea Pig myself with were the SURVIVAL TABS.

I did 6 full days on just the Survival Tabs ONLY and water and some black coffee to prevent a caffeine withdrawal headache.

I did lose some weight and I sure did get tired of them but, I actually felt healthy after the minor ordeal and I could have gone longer if absolutely necessary.

Weight of the bottle of tabs Two Pounds. = 15 days of sustenance. Not bad. and the container doubles as an extra canteen.

You eat 12 tabs a day. They actually taste great. The Chocolate and the MALT are super good tasting but, you still get kinda sick of them...not sick FROM them though.

You might love SNICKERS bars but, if you didn't eat anything else BUT Snickers Bars for a week.....you get the general idea.

Originally developed for N.A.S.A. Space Program - They basically give you everything you need to stay alive enough so that your body does not begin to cannibalize your muscles and organs causing you to lose strength and waste away.

A worthwhile QK testED product. They are in my B.O.B.

Here You Go...........http://www.survivaltabs.com/

Take a hard look at the British Army PLCE and how it's packed. The design is around 48 hours of use. Here are the basics from the British Army Training Centere

Personally I am prefer blending into the enviorment ( looking like anyone else) hence I don't like the Tactical look. Just a hiker/backpacker moving quick

EQPT
    On the Man
    Notebook (wet weather type)
    Pencil/lumocolours
    Small torch (lens masked less pin hole)
    Spare btys
    Small clasp knife
    Binos with graticules
    Whistle
    Map, map case and Silva compass
    Protractor (yds blanked out; thread att)
    Foam ear defenders
    CEIs
    FFD in top left pocket
    Gloves
    Face veil, headover or shemagh
    Dog tags (ops only)
    Lighter/matches
    Lip salve
    Cam cream

Webbing
    Ammo pouches:
    6 mags and ammo as iss

Utility pouches:
    Hexamine and cooker
    Metal mug/small mess tin
    Model kit
    KFS
    Prismatic compass on lanyard
    Rifle cleaning kit (pull thru’, oil, flannelette,
    combo tool)
    Bayonet and scabbard
    Respirator complete
    1-2 water bottles
    Digging tool — as iss

Ptl pack depending on ops
    Daysack/

Side pouches
    NBC suit
    Gortex jacket/trs
    Remainder of rifle cleaning kit
    Poncho (bungees and pegs)

Bergen (with
    waterproof bag/s)
    Spare socks and underwear
    Foot powder
    Rats
    Trainers
    Warm and dry kit
    Sleeping and bivi bag
    Sandbag
    Sleeping mat
    Boot cleaning kit/spare laces
    Washing and shaving kit
    Mess tin large
    Flask (recommended)
    Housewife
    NBC clothing/eqpt as ordered
    Spare wpn cleaning eqpt

Sent via Mental Power

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    One more addition to this thread and then I'm turning in EARLY.

For those of you who do not have any rock bottom last ditch "food" in your B.O.B. yet. AKA Food Bars or DATREX bars etc. etc.
    One product that I did Guinea Pig myself with were the SURVIVAL TABS.

I did 6 full days on just the Survival Tabs ONLY and water and some black coffee to prevent a caffeine withdrawal headache.

I did lose some weight and I sure did get tired of them but, I actually felt healthy after the minor ordeal and I could have gone longer if absolutely necessary.

Weight of the bottle of tabs Two Pounds. = 15 days of sustenance. Not bad. and the container doubles as an extra canteen.

You eat 12 tabs a day. They actually taste great. The Chocolate and the MALT are super good tasting but, you still get kinda sick of them...not sick FROM them though.

You might love SNICKERS bars but, if you didn't eat anything else BUT Snickers Bars for a week.....you get the general idea.

Originally developed for N.A.S.A. Space Program - They basically give you everything you need to stay alive enough so that your body does not begin to cannibalize your muscles and organs causing you to lose strength and waste away.

A worthwhile QK testED product. They are in my B.O.B.

Here You Go...........Survival Food Tabs

I was reading the nutrient facts for the survival tabs and no where can I find the serving portions of how many tablets a day is recomended. Also the nutrients facts of 240 calories, I am assuming that is per a serving of X amount of tablets and not per a tablet is this correct ?? Thanks again for any info. God Bless

12 tabs/day - 240 cal total.

QK - thanks, that's good stuff. I've heard you have to be careful with the mylar type stuff b/c you can end up sweating and then freeze when you get out of the bag. Have you heard about the super shelter (forget who came up with it)? Basically it's a mylar blanket mixed in with foliage dome or lean to, leaves for bedding (I've heard you really want about elbow deep of leaves btwn you and the ground), and clear drop plastic covering front - reflective fire out front. The leaves prevent conduction, mylar and foliage reflect and insulate body heat and heat from fire, and the clear plastic helps trap it all in while still letting the heat from the fire radiate into dome. Size is kinda important as you don't want to have to heat a large volume of empty space.

Wow, the Brits sure are progressive - letting you bring your pet rat and wife.

I came across an Army Field Survival Manual application that I downloaded to my smart phone. It's available for free at the Android store. It's stored in the memory, so you don't have to have cell phone coverage to access it. It contains a ton of information and some tips you don't always think of. For example, have your immunizations like tetanus boosters up to date. If you need dental work, get it done. Impacted wisdom teeth are no fun when a dentist isn't available. If you wear eye glasses, you might want to think about packing spares in your survival bag. Just some more food for thought.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I came across an Army Field Survival Manual application that I downloaded to my smart phone. It's available for free at the Android store.
    Me too! I love the free apps!

VIP Member
    Watch out for items with expiry/best before dates, and rotate them through your BUG to keep them fresh.
    QKShooter likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Another emergency shelter suggestions is the Land/Shark survival bag. Their cold weather testing was impressive, but that may not be a concern for you

http://www.landshark-online.com

Gas Mask....

VIP Member
    A copy of Faulkner's "Light in August" would serve you well. After you have bugged out to your bug out spot, you'll need something to read.

I think you have a pretty decent kit. You will find yourself almost constantly tweaking it, if you spend any time practicing with it. Which I highly recommend. Get out for some day hikes and use the stuff in your kit. Learn how to use each component.

I think you will find, 500 ft. of Paracord is way more than you'll ever need. I carry no more than 100 ft. and I know a lot of folks who carry 50 ft or 25 ft.

Your trauma kit is pretty good. However, I would add some quality burn dressings such as Water Jel. You can get them on ebay. Water Jel burn kits are what we stock on our ambulances. (I'm the purchasing agent for the service).

In a survival situation, when your mind is otherwise distracted and you are under increased mental stress, it's very easy to burn yourself when dealing with open camp fires, boiling water to drink or heating food. Burns are extremely painful. Pain is a morale killer and a serious enemy in a survival situation. Burns are also very easy to get infected quickly. Water Jel dressings are the best burn dressing there is to cool the burn, protect it from infection and reduce the pain without use of pain pills. Air on exposed nerve endings is what causes most pain and the Water Jel seals the burn and prevents air exposure to the damaged skin and exposed nerve endings.

It is good to have some comprehensive minor first aid items which will be much more useful than just having the stuff to treat a gunshot wound. You are much more likely to treat minor cuts and scrapes, maybe a broken finger in a typical bug out/survival situation than you will be treating a gunshot wound. So having items like antiseptic wipes, insect sting relief, steri-strips (to close deeper lacerations) and stuff like that is more important than only having stuff to treat a gun shot wound which in all honesty, will likely never happen. It's still good to have the stuff, because in the event you do treat a gun shot wound, it could save your life, but other injuries are more likely to occur than being shot. I also recommend having some moleskin in your kit. You never know when you may be bugging out or need to hoof it when wearing the wrong kind of shoes. Moleskin will keep blisters from developing if you stop and put it on the "hot spots" that are irritating before they become a blister.

Some over the counter meds (non-prescription) are good to have. Immodium to treat diarrhea will keep you from becoming dehydrated in a survival situation. Anti-nausea meds like Dramamine, pepto-bismal, alka seltzer can help curb nausea or vomiting which can also dehydrate you. Again, pain is a morale killer and major enemy in survival so some Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Naproxen or Tylenol are good items to have. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is good to have for a sleep aid and to treat minor allergic reactions from insect bites or other contact things (plants) which cause rashes and itching. A steriod cream like Hydrocortizone and an antifungal cream like Lotrimin are also beneficial.

I can tell you from personal experience, you will use all those other first aid kit items a hundred times over before ever having to use your gun shot wound treatment stuff.

A really good commercially made first aid kit I can recommend, and also own is the Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight .9 FAK. I have supplemented it by adding a few extra (and carefully chosen) items to really enhance it's capabilities and keep it separate from my GSW Trauma kit. If you want something a bit smaller, try their Ultralight .7 FAK.

Also pack some personal hygiene items. Tooth brush, toothpaste, toilet paper, travel size deodorant, Hoo Ahhs (combat baby wipes) nail clippers will go a long way to keeping you clean and healthy. Also a couple contractor grade trash bags and zip-lock (gallon size) freezer bags come in real handy.
    Last edited by Bark'n; October 14th, 2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: addition of moleskin.
    Kadelic likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

QKShooter, I ordered a couple of Blizzard Blankets (not the Blizzard Bag) for use on the ambulance along with Ready Heat heat blankets for hypothermia patients. I like them and have even bought a Blizzard Blanket for my own personal kit.

They are two ply, laminated together with open channels to trap air inside the cells which are diamond shaped about 1" x 1". Because the trapped air inside the cells, they are more "insulated" than a standard single ply Space Blanket which merely reflects radiant heat. This is why there are significantly more expensive and much more bulky than the standard single ply Space Blankets/Bags.

I recommend them if you have the money and extra space and can handle the extra weight. My personal one is still vacuum packed in the original package. But I have used the ones on the ambulance and loved them.

However due to the expense, I have since replaced them with regular Space Blankets since we use them in conjunction with the Ready Heat heat blankets.

For those not familiar with Ready Heat blankets, they are air activated and provide 106 degree heat for up to 6 hours. Very similar to the Hot Hands instant heaters that hunters use except the size of a small blanket with six chambers/packets of the air activated heat material. I find that the Ready Heat coupled with a regular space blanket to be much more economical to stock on the ambulances. Besides, we're not keeping the patient out in the wilderness in a survival situation. We're putting them in the back of the truck and then going immediately to the hospital. But Blizzard Blankets/Bags are ideal for those who are stranded outdoors and will be there for an indeterminate amount of time.

I also think the Blizzard Blankets are larger dimensionally than a regular Space Blanket. And trust me, you don't want to open it until you need to use it. It's true, you'll never get it packaged again as small and compact as it comes from the factory. However, they are durable enough to be reused, so unless it gets ripped to shreds, keep it and re-pack it as best you can for later use.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links