Bug out bag contents

This is a discussion on Bug out bag contents within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I'm putting together my 3-7 day SHTF/get the heck out of dodge/get to the farm by foot if I have to/hole up in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bug out bag contents

Bug out bag contents

Hey guys I'm putting together my 3-7 day SHTF/get the heck out of dodge/get to the farm by foot if I have to/hole up in the woods/survive by any means necessary Go-Bag.

These are the contents:

Trauma kit
    a. Chest seal
    b. quick clot combat gauze
    c. CAT
    d. Emt shears
    e. israeli bandage
    f. Packing gauze
    g. nasal airway
    Basic first aid kit
    Esee-5 knife
    Sharpening stone
    Gerber multitool
    Mid-sized gerber axe w/ saw
    Magnesium&flint bar
    Firesteel rod and striker
    Vaseline cotton balls
    2 pieces of fatwood
    2 bic lighters
    Compass
    Aquamira h20 treatment drops (120gal)
    3L water bladder
    1L nalgene
    500ft military grade paracord
    10- 12hr chemlights
    LED AAmini maglight w/lithium batteries
    Spare batteries
    Basic fishing kit
    Emergency blanket
    Lightweight sleeping bag
    Bdu pants
    Underarmor combat coldgear (from before they banned it)
    Midweight fleece
    Waterproof shell jacket
    2x smartwool socks
    Calorie bars 7200 calories worth
    AR and 7-30rd pmags
    Glock23 and 4 mags
    PPQ 9mm and 2 mags

Any suggestions/ideas/ thoughts/comments?

Edit: changed to correct list from rough draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    Last edited by Cbuffett556; September 5th, 2012 at 01:04 AM.

2. Remove Ads

CJM
    No flashlight and spare batteries? I would have a good fixed blade as well as a good folder or two. I wouldn't want to rely on a Gerber multi-tool, my experience with them is less than stellar.

Also, I would lose the jeans, flannel shirt and t-shirt or anything cotton for that matter, and opt for something made from quick drying moisture wicking material. When denim and cotton get wet, they stay wet for long periods of time and can lead to hypothermia, even if it isn't frigid temps outside. I've been cold and wet out in the woods in blue jeans and cotton shirts, and I sure wouldn't want to try to stay out there very long like that. I would add an extra pair of boots/shoes and a pair or two of merino wool socks and underwear.

I see a compass, but no mention of maps. A GPS would also be a nice thing to have.
    pir8fan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    No flashlight and spare batteries? I would have a good fixed blade as well as a good folder or two.

Also, I would lose the jeans, flannel shirt and t-shirt or anything cotton for that matter, and opt for something made from quick drying moisture wicking material.

I would add an extra pair of boots/shoes and a pair or two of merino wool socks and underwear.

I see a compass, but no mention of maps. A GPS would also be a nice thing to have.
    The ESEE-5 http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-5.htm on my list is an air force SERE instructor designed fixed blade knife made for heavy survival use such as batoning

I accidentally copy and pasted the wrong version of my list, I had already removed the cotton and switched to other synthetic fabrics and added socks(of course). I have one flashlight on my AR and I (usually) EDC one so I know I would have at least two.

Extra boots? Please explain

How could I forget maps!?
    -added it to my list

Gargoyle0512 likes this.

I don't see any major issues but I do see one minor
    issue. If you're using a chest seal or an NPA then you are beyond the "hide in the woods" stage and you need advanced care. Not sure what level of training you have but maybe an IV set and a minor surgery and suture kit would help.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

old cell phone, radio

If you had that set up, you would be pretty well off, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I don't see any major issues but I do see one minor
    issue. If you're using a chest seal or an NPA then you are beyond the "hide in the woods" stage and you need advanced care. Not sure what level of training you have but maybe an IV set and a minor surgery and suture kit would help.
    The NPA and chest seal are more for the chaos/active shooter aspect....

My friends truck BOB saved a couple lives at a recent shooting.

I have enough training to know how to properly use the gear I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    old cell phone, radio

If you had that set up, you would be pretty well off, imo.
    Why the old cell phone? 911 call? And the radio is something I completely forgot, good point.

How about gasoline and other automotive related repair items

Toilet paper
    Under wear (when SHTF you may dodo on yourself)
    Anti diarrhea
    Some Coke or wine, favorite candy...after all, you don't want to be a complete Barbarian
    Some Cash or barter stuff of value
    gloves
    cap
    radio/with batteries

What scenario do envision that will last 3...7 days...then what do you do?

Good Luck
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

Administrator
    You are decently good to go.

b. quick clot combat gauze - Switch to CELOX after your expiration date has passed. I would still hold onto your QuickClot but, that is one item where you need to pay attention to the expiration date.
    Also add these smaller packs of ...crap??? What is it called? Wound Stop?? They are tiny little packages of instant clot. CVS has it and they take up no room and add no weight and if you slice your hand or your finger or your leg you don't have to bust open your QuickClot or CELOX - which you will want to keep "package intact" for a major injury.

Unless you know how to suture (I taught myself) you need to invest in some Wound Closure Strips.

Esee-5 knife - Good choice.

Sharpening stone - if space & weight becomes a factor then buy a set of three really thin Diamond Hones.

Mid-sized gerber axe w/ saw - you could probably just get away with a good folding saw.

If you drink coffee every day then add some little packs of Instant Coffee or you'll get a pounder of a headache without some. You want to survive...not suffer. Starbucks VIA is a good choice. Great stuff. little sealed packs. Much better than Instant.

Add some CharCloth and a thin plastic FRESNEL LENS (about a dollar on ebay) - again no weight & you can always start a fire as long as the Sun is shining.

Buy a WATERPROOF OTTERBOX to store your stuff in that absolutely cannot get wet. They are cheaper than the other brand and just as good for this purpose.

2 bic lighters <~~~ sometimes they leak and they never work while they are wet.

Aquamira h20 treatment drops (120gal) add an Aquamira water filtration straw.

Add a couple of WISE FOODS packs - a hot meal is a welcome treat. They add almost no weight & they are dehydrated and Nitrogen purged for a forever shelf life.

Add a tube of Camelbak ELIXIR Sports Drink tablets with caffeine for electrolyte, mineral etc. replacement.

Add a needle and some stout thread. Buy a few large needles with big eyes. You may need to repair clothing when it's COLD and your fingers have lost dexterity.

I'd switch out the Nalgene bottle for a thin Stainless one because it does double duty and you can boil liquids in it.

Good- make sure that all of your spare batteries are Lithium - they have a super long shelf life - last longer and are lighter.

Emergency blanket - the space blankets? Make sure you have at least two.

Lightweight sleeping bag - add a SOL Breathable Escape Bivouac bivvy. A FANTASTIC ITEM. lightweight & you can combine it with your lightweight sleeping bag and be comfortable in much lower temps.

2x smartwool socks - Add more socks - buy a pack of moleskin (about $5) if you get blisters & every step is painful you won't be able to pay attention to your surroundings and your environment. Every step...you'll be thinking about your blistered heels.
    Calorie bars 7200 calories worth

If you're just doing a 7 day bag - I would forget the toilet paper and go with a pack of wet wipes. Like Baby Wipes.
    They are heavier because they are wet but you can use then them on your face and arms etc as well as your tush.

Add at least a little tiny radio - even if it's just one of those mini ones with an ear plug. You need to be able to catch the news and the weather especially in an emergency scenario.

Add a small bottle of CLP type oil for your AR.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Need More Suggestions? I'll make you wish you hadn't asked.
    Bark'n likes this.

A Tarp can be used as an improvised shelter that can be easy to set up especially with all that paracord you have. It can help keep you dry if you encounter wet weather. I bought a small 5'x7' camping tarp from walmart that had a nice carrying pouch that folded up very small for about $10.

Some Over the counter antihistamine for minor allergic reactions could be useful and some ibuprofen for mild pain management could be useful.

Lead Moderator
    Finally , get out and try using some of the basics in your kit for a weekend. This should help you modify or change anything that does not work for you.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    The ESEE-5 ESEE Knives on my list is an air force SERE instructor designed fixed blade knife made for heavy survival use such as batoning

I accidentally copy and pasted the wrong version of my list, I had already removed the cotton and switched to other synthetic fabrics and added socks(of course). I have one flashlight on my AR and I (usually) EDC one so I know I would have at least two.

Extra boots? Please explain

How could I forget maps!?
    -added it to my list

Yeah the ESEE-5 is a great fixed blade, but I also like a good folder to keep on hand as well.

As far as an extra pair of boots/shoes, the necessity for me is the same as having extra socks, if they get wet you'll want to have a dry pair to change into.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Finally , get out and try using some of the basics in your kit for a weekend. This should help you modify or change anything that does not work for you.

This is it, and what my wife and I did. We went backpacking with just our get home bag for a weekend, made us rethink several items. We still do this to a degree when camping with the boys.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

QKShooter mentioned the Wise food packs. I would recommend trying a few different ones to see what you actually like. I believe they will send a single pack sample for free from their website. You may also find single packs at some gun shows or your LGS.

Just an fyi from my personal experience. The sample we had was Teriyaki & Rice. No one in my family found it palatable. (I know in an emergency that is all relative but better to find out now what will work for you).

Nail Clipper
    enigmaone likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links