picatinny rail mounted tac light

This is a discussion on picatinny rail mounted tac light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; can someone please give point me in the right direction for a good tac light for picatinny rails? thanks for any replies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: picatinny rail mounted tac light

can someone please give point me in the right direction for a good tac light for picatinny rails? thanks for any replies
    ruger91

NRA member

Give us some details. What kind of weapon will this ride on? Will it be in a holster? Is it a duty weapon? CC/OC/off duty weapon? I use a Xiphos light on a Sig. It's a great light if you are one of the lucky ones that does not have problems. It's super bright and reliable. Ambi controls and a good fit. The problem is that some models will blink as you fire the gun, and sometimes they'll just shut off. Other models have problems with the battery doors staying secured during repeat shots. Xiphos has a new model coming out soon to correct some of these issues. On the cheaper end of the spectrum, a TLR1 is a good light for a cheap price. I assume you dont need lasers or any other goodies?

Streamlight is still the best in my book. Plenty of knock-offs and cheap copies these days....but I've had both of mine for over ten years and still depend on them.

lol no lasers for this one. this for my ruger p95 which has a picatinny rail and/or my 12 ga pump with scope mount(doesnt have a scope on it). these are my HD guns and sleeps bedside. long story short they power can be turned off from outside my house.. sketch... i would like to have a good tac light that i can mount on so in case someone decides to turn my power off an break in i can just pick up either the 12 or the p95, pop the light on and be good 2 go rather than holding a flashlight and one of my guns. i dont need to worry about the holster for the P95. any ideas greatly appreciated. thanks
    ruger91

NRA member

VIP Member
    I'd second the TLR-1. Streamlight has always been the best. Back 20+ years ago when I became an LEO, Streamlight was the only light considered worthy for a duty light. I still have my original SL-20X and its still going today... You might also consider the new TLR-4 which is a compact model with both light and laser. It can be found for about $120 online.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Have a TLR-1 by stream light. Let's put it this way. I point it out my window and light up my entire back yard to survey when I hear any kind of noise. Bright enough for you?
    ruger91 likes this.

thanks everyone for the insight. looks like il be going with steamlight. havent decided which model yet but they seem to be very good from your reviews and are not too expensive. thanks again
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Give us some details. What kind of weapon will this ride on? Will it be in a holster? Is it a duty weapon? CC/OC/off duty weapon? I use a Xiphos light on a Sig. It's a great light if you are one of the lucky ones that does not have problems. It's super bright and reliable. Ambi controls and a good fit. The problem is that some models will blink as you fire the gun, and sometimes they'll just shut off. Other models have problems with the battery doors staying secured during repeat shots. Xiphos has a new model coming out soon to correct some of these issues. On the cheaper end of the spectrum, a TLR1 is a good light for a cheap price. I assume you dont need lasers or any other goodies?

Everything in your post goes against your claim that those lights are "reliable." Personally, I wouldn't recommend a light to someone that is know to have tons of problems....

OP, I would recommend looking into the Surefire X300 as another option. There is also a 500 lumen X300 Ultra coming out soon. I'll probably be replacing the older model X200B I have with the 300 Ultra when it comes out. I love the 200B, but lights have gotten better and brighter over the years and its about time for an upgrade even though the light has never once failed me. Surefire makes great lights but they are a bit on the expensive side.

Get a Streamlight TLR-1, 2,3 or 4.

The Surefire lights are overpriced and are no better than a streamlight, but many people hop on their bandwagon because SF is in every magazine advertising their lights. Why pay $300 for a SF when you can get a SL for $120?

I've used both the TLR-1 and the SF X300, and I couldn't find a reason why the SF cost more than the TLR series of lights. You're paying for the name to be honest with you.

If you ever need a hand held light look at the Fenix line of lights also.

VIP Member
    I am happy with my Surefire but I do question the price. I am going to check out the Streamlight. I had a $14.00 made in China light that I got from Ebay to start with. The switch was junk, mount was questionable and light was not bright enough.

Keep in mind that the ultra-bright tac lights are for outdoor use, for seeing things long distances away. You don't want an ultra-bright light indoors - otherwise, when you hit a white wall with the beam, you can blind yourself. The light is to blind the other guy, not you.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post

Everything in your post goes against your claim that those lights are "reliable." Personally, I wouldn't recommend a light to someone that is know to have tons of problems....

OP, I would recommend looking into the Surefire X300 as another option. There is also a 500 lumen X300 Ultra coming out soon. I'll probably be replacing the older model X200B I have with the 300 Ultra when it comes out. I love the 200B, but lights have gotten better and brighter over the years and its about time for an upgrade even though the light has never once failed me. Surefire makes great lights but they are a bit on the expensive side.
    Let me clarify. The problems that it has, for me, do not affect performance. The problem they had was that some of them would blink for a split second upon firing the gun. A tac light shouldnt do this, but in no way did it affect performance. The split second that it blinked did not hinder the shooter at all. The problem with the battery door popping open was fixed early on. If you have an early model, it might have this issue. The reason I mentioned it was in case the OP picked up an older used light on eBay. I love my xiphos, and its worked great for me for at least several thousand rounds. If you get one that does not have the issue, it should last a long time. My TLR bit the dust after about two years. My xiphos is on year two and still works great. Like I said, it shouldnt technically blink when the gun is fired, but I bet if nobody pointed it out, you wouldnt even notice. Thus, I dont really care

Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    can someone please give point me in the right direction for a good tac light for picatinny rails? thanks for any replies
    try ebay site for best possible lights.

Sponsor
    As others have said. I'd take a look at the TLR-1S, its a great light for a fair price.

-Clay

WML.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links