IDPA gear question?

IDPA gear question?

This is a discussion on IDPA gear question? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never shot IDPA before and I'm going to check it out this weekend. Is there anything beyond pistol, holster, ammo, mag pouch with mags, ...

Thread: IDPA gear question?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

IDPA gear question?

I've never shot IDPA before and I'm going to check it out this weekend. Is there anything beyond pistol, holster, ammo, mag pouch with mags, eye and ear pro and something to conceal everything with? Speaking of concealment garment, is a normal t-shirt ok for concealment as long as it keeps everything concealed? I want to say as close to how I carry as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I've never shot IDPA before and I'm going to check it out this weekend. Is there anything beyond pistol, holster, ammo, mag pouch with mags, eye and ear pro and something to conceal everything with? Speaking of concealment garment, is a normal t-shirt ok for concealment as long as it keeps everything concealed? I want to say as close to how I carry as possible.
    Sounds like you are ready to go, have fun, and post a range report when you get back. Maybe a hat, in case it is sunny, don't want to burn your head.
    --Jason--

VIP Member
    The one IDFA match I shot in required two spare mags and a mag carrier as well.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sounds like you are set. T shirt works just fine with my crowd, although I prefer a short sleeve button down (unbuttoned) over a tucked t shirt.

T shirts can be funny on some guys. The shirts conceal so darn well that you can almost read the serial number of the gun through the shirt.

I advise you to dress like you normally would. A bit more real that way.

Administrator
    JUST FYI

When you stand with your arms up and stretched out to the sides no part of your firearm, your holster, or your ammunition carrier can be directly visible.
    If your firearm is printing or you are experiencing a visible gun butt bulge through your shirt that is not an issue but, make certain that your T-Shirt (if that is what you normally wear) does not ride up to expose your carry equipment when your arms are up and stretched out to the sides.
    Make certain that it's long enough.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    JUST FYI

When you stand with your arms up and stretched out to the sides no part of your firearm, your holster, or your ammunition carrier can be directly visible.
    If your firearm is printing or you are experiencing a visible gun butt bulge through your shirt that is not an issue but, make certain that your T-Shirt (if that is what you normally wear) does not ride up to expose your carry equipment when your arms are up and stretched out to the sides.
    Make certain that it's long enough.
    Thanks for the heads up. I thought about that last night.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I went to my first one last month. I did not know about the concealment garment. I ended up untucking my t-shirt and they were happy with that as per QKShooter. Since I was a first time shooter and no one expected me to come in first, they were willing to be very flexible on a lot of things. In fact, after one station, one of the "mentors" came up to me and told me, had this been an "official" match, I would have been disqualified on a procedural rule because I am not supposed to do "blah". They cut me a lot of slack, I had a great time and I now know better for the next one.

Have fun. They are a blast.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Links