Question about Cannon safe mentioned on this thread

This is a discussion on Question about Cannon safe mentioned on this thread within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.combatcarry.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=668 Until a few weeks ago I have only owned handguns so a small 2 X 2 foot safe was all I needed but a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Cannon safe mentioned on this thread

Question about Cannon safe mentioned on this thread

http://www.combatcarry.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=668

Until a few weeks ago I have only owned handguns so a small 2 X 2 foot safe was all I needed but a few weeks ago I bought 2 rifles so now I need to protect them also. I am in a pretty safe area and am home most of the time, I keep all my guns locked in a safe except for one that I keep within arms reach all loaded and ready. I want to get out of NY and move to a warmer gun friendly state (Fla. Tex. And Tenn. are at the top of my list so far). So I am debating with myself if I should buy the safe now or after the move.
    I was just lurking but joined the forum so I can ask a question about the Cannon safe mentioned in this thread, the Cannon web site doesnít mention how much the safe costs. Also with regards to the mention of the Samís club safe from what I gather the Samís club save may not be as good because Cannon pays if you have to ship the safe back for repairs and the Samís club makes no mention of paying shipping costs.
    PS I use a 12 inch golden rod to dehumidify my small handgun safe. I had to drill a small hole in the bottom of the safe to get the electric wire through so I am wondering if anyone uses a golden rod with a Cannon safe.

The was copied from their web site, #6 seems to tip the scale in Cannonís favor.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Real Security, Affordable Prices

Cannon's Lifetime Warranty is included in the price of every safe. It covers repairs to damages caused by attempted break-ins, fire incidents and actual break-ins. This warranty coverage is in-home. This means that, if your safe can be repaired in your home, it will be - at no cost to you, the consumer.

In the event of substantial damage beyond repair in your home, Cannon will cover the opening of your safe. This will allow you to empty the contents before sending the safe back to the factory for a replacement or repair. (Most safe damage can be repaired in your home.)

Not all warranties are equal . . . read the small print before you choose your safe brand ask yourself these questions.

1. Is the safe covered for attempted and actual break-ins?
    2. Is the safe covered for fire incidents?
    3. Who pays for the opening of the safe? (Opening it can cost up to $500.00).
    4. If the safe can be repaired in-home, will it be done in-home and who will pay for it?
    5. Are safe repairs ONLY done at the factory?
    6. How much will Shipping Costs (Figure $500.00 plus for a 700 lb. safe)

Cannon Safes are manufactured in the U.S.A. and are sold only through stocking dealers.

Make your choice between Cannon's Models:
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Remove Ads

Hello silvercorvette,

All Cannon safes are pre drilled for your Golden Rod. I don't know of any other safe that can match their warranty either. Shipping a safe back to the manufacturer in some cases will cost you more than you paid for your safe.. :kay:

I agree with you, from what I have heard so far Cannon seems to be the best but I want to check out all my options before I spend the money. The information on the granite web site indicates that you have to pick up the cost of shipping. I am new here and donít want to make any waves but the statement on the other thread about Granite safes from Samís club just did not ring true. I think if someone is in the market or will soon be in the market for a new safe they should keep in mind that the high cost of sending a safe back to the factory may make the warrantee worthless. I think the odds are good that I will wind up getting the Cannon but I want to be sure I am spending my money wisely. Cannon lists their safes as better, best, and ultimate. I would like to hear other peoples opinions of which one to get. Or maybe some recommendation of other manufactures. When it comes to tools I would love to own Snap-On but I canít afford Snap-On so I buy Craftsman. I wonder if Cannon is considered the Snap-On of safes. If so is there a Craftsman equivalent that will pay shipping if it has to be returned to the factory? I believe in always buying the best quality whether it is a tool or an appliance or a reloading press. This is a once in a life time purchase so I want to buy quality. I am retired on a fixed income so I do have to count pennies. If necessary I will put off buying something till I have enough money to buy the best quality. All suggestions are appreciated.

DC Founder
    Granite gun safe guarantee from their website.

The graphic is clipped a little but you get the jist of their warranty.....

Originally posted by Bumper
    Granite gun safe guarantee from their website.

The graphic is clipped a little but you get the jist of their warranty.....
    I saw that on their web site but didnít know how to paste it in. According to Granite the replacement safe shipping cost will be billed to the owner. Shipping a safe like that has to be very expensive so their ďFREEĒ replacement will cost the owner hundreds of dollars.

exactly..:O

A few years back I bought a National Security gun safe, very well built, and very heavy to boot. When I went on vacation I left a sign attached to the door of the gun safe, it read (certain words not completed for the audience)
    "To whom it may concern so you A-- H--- you have broken into my house, well every every thing of real value is locked up in here lots of luck of getting in F--- you and go to h--- you B------."
    No it was never read but it sure gave me some peace of mind.:rock:

VIP Member
    I was just lurking but joined the forum so I can ask a question about the Cannon safe mentioned in this thread, the Cannon web site doesnít mention how much the safe costs.
    That safe was a gift to me from my parents when I moved into my apartment. Dad said, "here's something for you to grow into."

Whatever you spend on the safe, it's well worth the money. Protecting your valuables and keeping your guns out of criminals'hands are priceless.

The warranty work hasn't gone through yet (it's only been a week and a half) - Cannon wants the new safe and locksmith to arrive at the same so I'm not stuck with a bunch of unlocked guns. I'm guessing the holiday has also slowed things. I'll give them a call after the New Year. My safe is their lower end brand, the Oxbow, but that did not affect the warranty.

Sheldon 3,
    While that safe note is pretty funny, burglars will be ill humored and may do things to spite you, like vandalize your place extra badly, or just burn it down.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Betty
    Sheldon 3,
    While that safe note is pretty funny, burglars will be ill humored and may do things to spite you, like vandalize your place extra badly, or just burn it down.
    I agree :yes:

I'm not being defensive, but I didn't consider the shipping cost a major aspect when I posted info about Granite Safe's warranty.

Shipping 1 pallet weighing approx 400# by LTL carrier (ABF, Roadway, Yellow) prolly isn't as big an expense as you might think. Possibly covered by your insurance, while they're taking care of all of your missing stuff and property damage.

Originally posted by Moondoggie
    I\'m not being defensive, but I didn\'t consider the shipping cost a major aspect when I posted info about Granite Safe\'s warranty.

Shipping 1 pallet weighing approx 400# by LTL carrier (ABF, Roadway, Yellow) prolly isn\'t as big an expense as you might think. Possibly covered by your insurance, while they\'re taking care of all of your missing stuff and property damage.
    I think you took my question the wrong way, I didnít want to join this forum to aggravate anyone with my first post, I am just trying to gather as much information as I can before I purchase. If I hadnít disputed your statement you wouldnít have brought up the possibility of the insurance company picking up shipping costs. You have given me something additional to consider and although I am still leaning heavily toward the Cannon, the Granite appears to be a better option than I first thought is was. But it still depends on what my insurance company says and what the price difference is between the two makes. I always buy the best equipment I can afford because experience has taught me that it usually costs less in the long run to spend the extra bucks up front. I have also learned the buy the most expensive doesnít always mean the best quality. I just spent a ton on money on a few guns so I canít afford to buy right now. By the time I save up the money I should have a better idea about what the best choice will be for me.:kay:

No offense taken, Silvercorvette.

I bought my Granite Safe @ Sam\'s Club mostly for 4 reasons:

1. Good price, $699 for enuf room.

2. UL listed.

3. Seemed plenty adequate to keep scumbags away from my goodies.

4. Pretty hunter green/metallic paint job and nifty Winchester decal.

Welcome to the forum!

I attended a wedding in your neighborhood back in Sep \'00 on the beach in East Hampton. LI is sure pretty, but getting to it via vehicle is a major PITA for someone who\'s never been to/thru the city before. YUK!

Originally posted by Bumper
    Originally posted by Betty
    Sheldon 3,
    I agree :yes:
    The house is sprinklered hope they like getting wet. BTY residential sprinkler systems are very echonomical and you get a nice break on your insurance as well. ( I\'m a Fire Marshall by trade), and also have an actual cash value replcement clause on every thing as well. That would be one way to upgrade my stuff.
    True story several years back Mom and Dad went to Fl or the winter, they were broken into with in 48 hours. It took me 3 day\'s but I found them and what was left of the stuff they had not fenced. Yes they they went to jail, the perp had 6 prior warents out on him that they had not served. They did serve the 7th with a vengance I saw to it personally. You can too. Experience tells that BnE\'s are not as random as you would like to believe, and the fieliengs of being violated are normal.
    Who ever broke into your place isw a local, they are watching you and your routine, as well as others, meaning it is some one who lives in the complex.
    If you watch very carefully and with a little dective time you will be able to figure out who it is.
    You can have a search warrent as well as one for their arrest swore out for them. Do not be surprised when you see their list of priors, also push for federal procesution, the second they tried to break into your safe it became a Federal crime.
    One bit of comfort, why didn\'t they break in while you were there? because they know you a gun totin gal and will not teaverse that issue, Keep it up you have my kudos

silvercorvette,

You can buy several models of the Cannon safe series at Academy Sporting Goods. My first one was just under 800 dollars and the price dropped to $549 over three or four years. The one I saw in the store last week was back up to $589. Overall, a very good value, particularly in light of Betty\'s treatment so far.

Sincerely,

Michael

Originally posted by Moondoggie

Welcome to the forum!

I attended a wedding in your neighborhood back in Sep \'00 on the beach in East Hampton. LI is sure pretty, but getting to it via vehicle is a major PITA for someone who\'s never been to/thru the city before. YUK!
    The Hamptons are nice but in the words of Yogi Berra, It is so crowded there in the summer nobody goes there anymore. September is a great time because the weather is still warm but the five and ten mile traffic jams where you sit for hours without moving have gotten better. I live about 30 miles west of the Hamptons and can remember how it was before things got too crowded. The used to be farms and open fields nearby to go rabbit hunting, now the farms are gone and replaced with shopping malls. Some of the most fun I had were trips to the local dumps at midnight. A bunch of us guys would get together with .22 auto rifles and flashlights to hunt rats. It stunk like hell but no one cared because it was so much fun we didnít care about the smell. A friend of a friend knew a guy that worked as part time night watchman at a local dump so he had access to the trucks. A bunch of us would stand up in the back of the pick up with guns ready. We stood there real quiet till we heard them moving, he would hit the headlights and we would let loose as fast as we could pull the trigger until the scattered. I love living here but things have just gotten too big and crowded. That is why I want to move to a new state where the weather is warm, the taxes are low, and the laws are gun friendly. Hopefully I can buy a place big enough to set up a gun range in my back yard. I was thinking of waiting till after I move to buy a safe but maybe Iíll do it sooner. I am retire so I am not away from the house everyday at work, So far I have felt comfortable with my little 2 foot by 2 foot office safe for my handguns but now a need something for my rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links