Bio Metric safes?

This is a discussion on Bio Metric safes? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with them? My kids are long past the age where Id have to lock away guns from them but we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bio Metric safes?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar

Bio Metric safes?

Does anyone have any experience with them? My kids are long past the age where Id have to lock away guns from them but we are starting to have Grand kids, and they are spending more time here with us. I am looking at something like this for a quick access place to put a hand gun.

Barska Compact Biometric Safe at HSN.com

Ive never used an electronic lock let alone a finger print reader. It says it has a key for emergency use[ dead battery?]. how good are they at opening every time, or do you need to hold your finger just so to make it open? So my real question is have they perfected this or is it still a gadget thats time will come later? Thanks DR

2. Remove Ads

Amazon has some pretty good reviews on the safes. I'm thinking of getting one for the same reason.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I have a gun vault in my truck, and although they are quicker then a combo or a key, you still need to swipe your finger just right, or it will come up a false reading (maybe others are better)? I really only use mine to store my gun when I cant carry it. (work)

I'm not sold on the biometric safes. I'm going to get a standard one.

No electronics for me on a handgun safe that my life might depend on. Look at the mechanical push button safes that are heavier construction than most of the electronic ones. FAS1 Safe, Vline, and Fort Knox are a few to consider for your HD handgun. Bolt it down.

Senior Moderator
    I had a electronic safe and the batteries would go out in less than a year with me using the safe 2-4 times a day. My experience with biometric readers, has led me to never own one.

I recommend a Ft Knox pistol safe (or other type with a mechincal keypad)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have a V-Line as mentioned above, I will never rely on another electronic safe again... My GunVault has been the worst investment I've ever made as far as guns go, just terrible, awful product and awful customer service. Cannon/GunVault will never get another dime from me, and I'll do whatever I can to spread the word to save someone else from having to deal with them.

In my opinion we're still light years away when it comes to electronic gun safes. Gun access and dead batteries just make me uncomfortable.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Would not have one. Too many things go wrong. Just what you need is your safe to fail to open when you need it most. Heck, I don't even trust electronic keypad safes. Manual/Mechanical safes only for me thank you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I don't trust the fingerprint readers to work with wet fingers.

We have a GunVault Deluxe in our home. The newer ones (have grey push buttons on top) are improved over the old ones (black buttons) which would strip the cable that connected the electric motor to the lock over time. I've had 2 of the old ones fail (could still open with the key) and the newer ones are definitely better. My experience with their customer service has been very positive - they replaced both safes, including freight both ways.

This safe plugs into the wall outlet. The batteries are only in case of a power failure. If the batteries get low, it chirps. There is also a back-up key.

Mechanical simplex locks are ok, but you really need to practice clearing the lock before you try and open it - otherwise, if someone pushed a button, the safe will not open. The GunVault is slightly quicker for this reason. I also feel (maybe incorrectly) that kids could figure out a simplex lock combination more easily than an electronic one (after repeated wrong entries, the electronic ones will lock you out for a period of time).

Hope this helps, OP.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Key. You have control.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Key. You have control.
    On a quick access handgun safe that you might need to access in the dark? If you leave the key in it at night it defeats the purpose of keeping the kids out doesn't it?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Thanks guys! Quick access is pretty low on my list of security needs. But easy access is what Id need to get my wife to use it "Every time". My house is about 100 yds off the road, through two usually locked gates, and then you have to get through another gate keeping the dogs, cats and ducks up near the house. We don't get a lot of surprise visitors! I'm thinking of getting something large enough to hold guns, keys, the wife's purse, ETC... The closest we have had to a home invader were snakes and mice. But to keep the grand kids out of the wife's purse [ she keeps meds in there too] even while we are just in the back barn area would be a great help. Our own kids knew better! The grands will too as they get older. DR

i like my sentry safe but the biometric is hit or miss.

Interesting that in the bottom inside corner of the user manual it tells you storing firearms in the safe voids the warranty...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Since biometrics have gotten so cheap to produce, you will have mixed results with the quality. I have a nice biometric scanner on my phone, but depending on several factors (are your hands wet or sweaty, dirty, sticky, oily, hot, cold, ect), you will get mixed results on accuracy. If you get a biometric scanner for a gun safe, make sure it has a keypad back-up and a key. Sure biometrics are great for convenience, but in an emergency, you wouldn't want to rely on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links