FireClean Gun Oil Review

This is a discussion on FireClean Gun Oil Review within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After using a new product for several months I thought I'd share some observations with you guys about the company and their product. FireClean is ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob99VMI04

Thread: FireClean Gun Oil Review

FireClean Gun Oil Review

After using a new product for several months I thought I'd share some observations with you guys about the company and their product. FireClean is a new lubricant marketed as a carbon repellant. It was originally designed for the M4/M16 series of rifles by two brothers from the DC metro area, and in just a few months started to take off.

The company just had a large order by one of the nation's largest firearms distributors, Acusport, and may be on shelves near you soon. FireClean's owners are huge supporters of competitive shooting sports, recently sponsoring the FNH 3 Gun Championship at Peacemaker National Training Center in WV. Some of the biggest names in the industry seem impressed enough with the product to use it, including Daniel Horner of the Army Marksmanship Unit--and repeat 3 Gun Nation series champion. Enough about that...

I started using the stuff because the owners of the company are customers of mine, and our conversations convinced me that they had definitely done enough research about lubrication properties, smoke temperatures, and the demands of the AR-15 on a lubricant. I wasn't too sure about the stuff and was previously a happy user of Slip2000 (the CLP, not the EWL line). I was given a bottle when I mentioned I was taking a carbine class with FPF Training in Culpeper, VA, and they asked me to try it out and report back. The round count was only 6 or 700 rounds, so it was no surprise to me that it kept my rifle wet and running without reapplication throughout the two days.

A few weeks later I got around to breaking the gun down for a cleaning. Normally I have to hit it with Hoppes or another powder solvent (as Slip2000 doesn't do much for cleaning) and give it a good scrubbing before relubing. This time was a little different, though. Everything cleaned up a lot easier without much fuss, and I could actually tell on the stubborn parts that I hadn't applied FireClean to those areas. "Neat, it makes clean up a little easier", I thought. I reapplied the FireClean to a now-clean carrier and put it away.

Two months passed, and an upcoming Pat Rogers/EAG Tactical course brought me to the range to confirm zero. The lube remained on the bolt from the previous cleaning and through a few range sessions that I didn't feel I needed to add any more nor clean the rifle before class.

The EAG course was cut short by a storm, and we decided to continue in the coming weeks. I had only shot a few hundred rounds, so again I didn't clean or relube my rifle before the second session. Two weekends later, we finished the second half of the course with a higher than expected round count. No malfunctions, bolt still wet. I broke down and decided to give it a cleaning anyways as it would be a while before I planned on shooting it again...

This is when I became a fan. Cleaning the charging handle, bolt carrier and components, and upper receiver was accomplished with ONE PAPER TOWEL. That's it, no cleaner, no more FireClean, no brushes, nothing. The filthy gun with over 1000 rounds on it was wiped clean with the pass of a single paper towel. It seems that after I got all the old Slip2000 and other stuff off of the gun and got the FireClean directly on the metal that the properties of the solution really began to work.

I've since started cleaning my carbine much more often now. Not because I need to, but because it is so easy. I spend no more than two minutes from start to finish and have a clean, lubricated firearm again. I've also started using it on my FN SLP shotgun, my carry Glock 19, and my USPSA Glock 34 without issue and similar results.

If you see it in your local gun shop give it a go. A four ounce bottle retails for about 14 bucks, and will last you a very long time.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the review, I'll check it out. I'm currently looking for a good lubricant.

Jason

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I sure hope it's cheaper than Gunzilla. We should be selling that stuff to the Arabs and getting rich off them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Another follow up...

I did a little shooting on Saturday (maybe 300 rounds), and this morning I decided to "clean" my pistol.

Here are some pics of before...
    2012-10-07 11.36.57.jpg2012-10-07 11.38.02.jpg

I chose to "clean" my pistol with a McDonalds napkin. If you are into the healthy living thing you may be unaware that fast food napkins aren't quite the best, most absorbent or strong piece of recycled paper, but it was handy.
    2012-10-07 11.39.39.jpg

I timed myself. Two minutes of wiping it off, no new cleaner or anything, just wiping with the napkin...
    2012-10-07 11.46.19.jpg2012-10-07 11.46.55.jpg2012-10-07 11.47.26.jpg

I'll give it a go. I'm always willing to try new stuff.

How do you get your hands on it. Where in Va. can I buy it?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Okay, that looks like it's worth giving a try. Will order some.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Virginia Arms in Manassas stocks it. You may be able to order it directly from FireClean as well.

:Thanks, I looked at there website were it is $15.00 + s/h for a 2 oz bottle.

I clicked on the Contact us tab on there webpage to ask "Where to buy" but they want too much personal info for such a simple question.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just came across this. Working in the firearms industry I have seen lots of Snake Oil this stuff I have to say might actually be Snake Oil. Was very hesitant at first since I was a SLIP and Miltech person for a long time. I run this on everygun I own including my flintlock. It has made clean up very simple. The biggest thing I have noticed is on my AR Bolts. It makes them all feel like Nickle boron bolts.
    Christopher67 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links