CCW Breakaways Experience

This is a discussion on CCW Breakaways Experience within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was heading out on a business trip where the attire would be business casual, the standard dockers and sport shirts. I usually take my ...

Thread: CCW Breakaways Experience

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

I was heading out on a business trip where the attire would be business casual, the standard dockers and sport shirts. I usually take my SmartCarry and wanted to try CCW Breakaways after someone here posted that they carried a full size 1911 without problems. I carry an office 1911 and ordered a pair of the khakis.

It takes a little messing with the pockets to get the position right and I found I never could get the firearm to sit properly. It seemed that the gun wanted to shift to the right almost exposing the butt of the gun. When I walked it felt like the gun "bounced" too much unless I walked with my hand in the pocket. That being said, while I noticed the gun too much, it really did not print.

Overall, I think they would be great for a smaller lighter weapon but into the closet they go.

Has anyone who carrys a 1911 figured these things out? I would like to use them, I really like the idea of being able to get to my firearm easily when seated in a car.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. For the LCP they are great, but I lose the use of my front pocket. For my Kimber Pro Carry II HD, maybe. I notice the gun a lot, it's obvious when I'm sitting (at least to me, maybe not to someone else). It is fast, but the loss of my front pocket is a big negative.

I have had the opposite and very positive experience with these pants. I own three pair and would buy more.

First thing to note is that your size and shape Do affect the overall "fitability" of these pants. If you have a waist smaller that about 34, you will have some adjustment to do and the 'sweet spot' where the gun rides will naturally be smaller. Having said that, I carry a full size Kimber or a Glock 23 pretty much interchangeably and I have no shifting issues such as the OP noted. I took time to fit the inner pocket holster adjustments pretty carefully, and I use the first of the two levels of 'fold' at the bottom of the pocket for the height of the gun. Other than that, I have no issue with the butt of the pistol being visible whether I walk, run or sit.

I am 5'10 and 185, just for reference. I have also carried a S&W K frame 3" revolver in that same pocket, as well as a J-frame, but the J sits a bit low, so I would adjust the fold a bit higher, if that was going to be a regular thing, In practice, it just means a deeper reach for the smaller gun.

What all this means is that the Breakaways work just great for me and I have no hesitation is wearing them pretty often. Had one set on today, as a matter of fact! Hope this helps some.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I was heading out on a business trip where the attire would be business casual, the standard dockers and sport shirts. I usually take my SmartCarry and wanted to try CCW Breakaways after someone here posted that they carried a full size 1911 without problems. I carry an office 1911 and ordered a pair of the khakis.

It takes a little messing with the pockets to get the position right and I found I never could get the firearm to sit properly. It seemed that the gun wanted to shift to the right almost exposing the butt of the gun. When I walked it felt like the gun "bounced" too much unless I walked with my hand in the pocket. That being said, while I noticed the gun too much, it really did not print.

Overall, I think they would be great for a smaller lighter weapon but into the closet they go.

Has anyone who carrys a 1911 figured these things out? I would like to use them, I really like the idea of being able to get to my firearm easily when seated in a car.
    I have a butt-heavy gun with that problem. I went to a crafts store and bought a kit for making tie clasps (not tie clips; each clasp has two pieces -- one with a sharp prong to pierce, and the other piece a cap with a hole to grab the prong). And I bought some small flat round powerful magnets. I glued one magnet onto one of the tie clip bases and left the other blank. I then attached them to the pocket to the right of where I wanted the gun's trigger guard to stay -- one on each side of the pocket, with the magnet on the inside of the pocket and the flat blank side of the other one opposite.

I put the gun in the pocket and then let the magnet tie clasp grab the blank tie clasp -- thus shutting the pocket and holding the gun in position. When I want to draw I spear my hand into the pocket to separate the magnet from the opposing tie clasp, thus opening the pocket and giving my hand full access to the gun.

Putting the gun in takes a bit of fumbling to make sure the magnet grabs the opposing tie clasp rather than the gun.

I'm beginning to like mine more with the S&W M&P9c or 9. The alloy frame carries a bit better than the all steel Commander. I may have to invest in another pair.

Links