Cheap red dot options

Cheap red dot options

This is a discussion on Cheap red dot options within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering a cheap red dot for my 10/22. Primary role is destruction of soda pop cans, clay pigeons and rabbits. I need you guys ...

Thread: Cheap red dot options

Cheap red dot options

I'm considering a cheap red dot for my 10/22. Primary role is destruction of soda pop cans, clay pigeons and rabbits.

I need you guys to school me on cheap options. I'm looking at the Vortex dots and Primary Arms dots; looking for something around $100, give or take.

Cheap is what I'm after, but durable enough to handle getting banged around a little in the back of a truck.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Central Kentucky
    I dont know anything about the ones you mention, but if I were in the market, the first place I would look is Millet.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

My 10-22 plinker wears the Tasco from Walmart, about $30 or so. I had reservations about one this inexpensive, but for its intended purpose,it has worked flawlessly, and holds its zero. The dot is 5 MOA, but for soda cans and steel plates that's perfectly fine.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Gilbert, AZ
    I highly recommend the Bushnell TRS-25. I just got one this summer for my "tactical steel" match 10/22, and it works like a champ. They run around $100 from Midway and others.

The TRS-25 does better on a true Weaver or Picatinny mount than the tipoff adapter the Ruger supplies with the gun (or the slightly better Weaver TO-9); I already had a Tactical Solutions rail mount on my gun so the TRS mounted easily. The single cross-screw gives you a wider range of adjustment than the competing low-end red dots which mostly have 2 screws, and it's a pretty rugged screw. I particularly like the compact size and light weight, and it mounts low enough so you're not pulling your head off the stock to get a sight picture.

You trade off precision for speed with a red dot, but that's what I need on my "steel" gun. The dot itself is 3 MOA, but at low intensity settings it seems smaller than that, which allows for decent precision. With good ammo, my group size roughly doubled (from using a scope) to slightly under 2 inches at 50 yards, which is plenty accurate for the game and certainly for your plinking.
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Black Hills, South Dakota
    My first foray into the world of red dots was a 40mm TruGlo.
    It held a great zero, was rugged enough, weather-proof, etc. The wide field of view was nice as well.
    Not bad at all for the price.

Western Colorado
    I put an inexpensive Red Dot by Barska on my 10/22. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't much.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links