Cheap red dot options

This is a discussion on Cheap red dot options within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering a cheap red dot for my 10/22. Primary role is destruction of soda pop cans, clay pigeons and rabbits. I need you guys ...

Thread: Cheap red dot options

Cheap red dot options

I'm considering a cheap red dot for my 10/22. Primary role is destruction of soda pop cans, clay pigeons and rabbits.

I need you guys to school me on cheap options. I'm looking at the Vortex dots and Primary Arms dots; looking for something around $100, give or take.

Cheap is what I'm after, but durable enough to handle getting banged around a little in the back of a truck.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

I dont know anything about the ones you mention, but if I were in the market, the first place I would look is Millet.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My 10-22 plinker wears the Tasco from Walmart, about $30 or so. I had reservations about one this inexpensive, but for its intended purpose,it has worked flawlessly, and holds its zero. The dot is 5 MOA, but for soda cans and steel plates that's perfectly fine.
    NRA Life Member

I highly recommend the Bushnell TRS-25. I just got one this summer for my "tactical steel" match 10/22, and it works like a champ. They run around $100 from Midway and others.

The TRS-25 does better on a true Weaver or Picatinny mount than the tipoff adapter the Ruger supplies with the gun (or the slightly better Weaver TO-9); I already had a Tactical Solutions rail mount on my gun so the TRS mounted easily. The single cross-screw gives you a wider range of adjustment than the competing low-end red dots which mostly have 2 screws, and it's a pretty rugged screw. I particularly like the compact size and light weight, and it mounts low enough so you're not pulling your head off the stock to get a sight picture.

You trade off precision for speed with a red dot, but that's what I need on my "steel" gun. The dot itself is 3 MOA, but at low intensity settings it seems smaller than that, which allows for decent precision. With good ammo, my group size roughly doubled (from using a scope) to slightly under 2 inches at 50 yards, which is plenty accurate for the game and certainly for your plinking.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My first foray into the world of red dots was a 40mm TruGlo.
    It held a great zero, was rugged enough, weather-proof, etc. The wide field of view was nice as well.
    Not bad at all for the price.

I put an inexpensive Red Dot by Barska on my 10/22. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't much.

Links