Anti-fog eye protection?

This is a discussion on Anti-fog eye protection? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got pretty basic eye protection that I bought from the LGS. Cheap-o stuff, but they get the job done. Problem is that they fog ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anti-fog eye protection?

Anti-fog eye protection?

I've got pretty basic eye protection that I bought from the LGS. Cheap-o stuff, but they get the job done.

Problem is that they fog up when I'm shooting, and I frequently have to stop and wipe them down (I guess I'm full of hot air ). I haven't seen any eye protection marketed as having any "anti-fog" design, so I'm not sure how to combat this.

Any ideas?
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

2. Remove Ads

Oakley's stuff tends to be anti fog, but it is pricey.

I have seen both cloths, and sprays, that claim to help decrease fogging on lenses, might be worth looking into.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

Eek! I'm not interested in dropping $100+ on some eye protection, but thanks.

@Buckeye, I don't know why I didn't think of that; we use similar stuff on our scopes for laparoscopic cases at work so they don't fog up - couple drops then we throw the bottles away. DUH! Looks like I'll be taking some home. Thanks!
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    you can, I believe, buy anti-fog spray that you wipe onto the lenses, similar to rain-X for rain.. it's Fog-X or similar products.

I use OTG amber lens goggles for shooting because I wear prescription glasses and I haven't spent the $300+ for progressive, amber tinted shooting glasses in my prescription yet.
    The goggles I use are anti-fog and scratch resistant. Uvex Stealth amber/yellow lens OTG goggles. These also come in smoke gray, and clear lens options.

Uvex S3962C Stealth Safety Goggles,Gray Body,Amber Uvextreme Anti-Fog Lens,Neoprene Headband - Amazon.com

To prevent that from happening, I simply wear the glasses a little farther out from my face. I use my earmuffs to keep them in place rather than resting them on my nose.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

If you wear glasses you will know there can be a problem with fogging. Baby shampoo is the answer. Rub a few small drops on your lenses with a soft cloth until they are clear. This stuff works great on your eye protection for shooting too.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    To prevent that from happening, I simply wear the glasses a little farther out from my face. I use my earmuffs to keep them in place rather than resting them on my nose.
    The problem there is that hot brass can sneak in the gap and wreak all sorts of havoc. Guess how I know...
    minimalbrat likes this.

I don't like the way most "eye protection" looks (and quite frankly don't want to spend the money on it) so I normally just wear glasses on days I know I'm going to the range. A cheap set of pale sunglasses should do fine if you don't mind the tint. Unless you've got a gun that you KNOW throws stuff back in your face, I would just find something that doesn't fog and that you're comfortable with (I've never had a problem with glasses, regular or sunglasses, fogging up though?). Then again, the glasses I have are the thick-rimmed hipster deals, so they come pretty close to my brows and I'm not worried about stuff sneaking in like raytracer pointed out.

VIP Member
    Guys on my shooting team use this, it is the number one rated anti fog. Call Cat Cr*p.

Cat Crap

They swear by it. I don't have a fog problem with my system

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Haven't you guys ever gone snorkeling or scuba diving? Just spit on the inside of your glasses, rub it in, and then rinse it off. I'm serious.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Re: Anti-fog eye protection?

Rub in some Barbosol shaving cream, then wipe it off.

Sent from up range, at about 3100 fps

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Guys on my shooting team use this, it is the number one rated anti fog. Call Cat Cr*p.

Cat Crap

They swear by it. I don't have a fog problem with my system
    I have read about this stuff and from what I read it is good stuff.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

As glockracer stated, shaving cream (not gel). "Wax" the lenses with it and buff dry. It'll work for a few hours.

Longer lasting and less messy is an anti-fog cloth. Best bet is a motorcycle shop. I use them on the inside of my helmet visor and they work wonders, even at single digit temps. They are usually about 2 bucks and will last for a very long time when only used on glasses.

VIP Member
    They use a steam test. Put the product on half the lense and the other with out and boil some water on your stove top. Place the lense into the steam and see what happens. A lot of products will blur the lense. The Cat Cr*P product does not blur like many of the others and it retails for $6.95, you can get it for the four dollar range. You must be careful with the product not to scratch the lense when you wipe the product on. You use your finger to wipe in on then a soft cloth to buff it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links