LED flashlights and an EMP strike

This is a discussion on LED flashlights and an EMP strike within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And what's worse, EMP in no way affects zombies, so you would just be double screwed. Same zombie population, fewer lights....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: LED flashlights and an EMP strike

And what's worse, EMP in no way affects zombies, so you would just be double screwed. Same zombie population, fewer lights.
    What Would Gumby Do?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Pick up an old un-used microwave and store items like this in it that you'd want protected from an EMP. Do not plug it in, but make sure it is grounded. Wala, Faraday cage!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Senior Moderator
    Are we sure an incandescent light would survive an EMP or are just assuming? If we're talking about thousands of volts....

Plus if the tactical LED light is a metal, i.e. aluminum, body, there is a metallic shield around all of it except the head and it's pretty well shielded by the bezel and the metal reflector.

I think the metal body would be effective against the electrical pulse, maybe not so much for the magnetic pulse.

Then again, if the EMP is strong enough to destroy the LED light in our pocket, I wonder what it does to us?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

While I don't know much of anything about EMP issues, I do know that it's easy and cheap to keep spare emitters and drivers handy. If you're that worried, why not just keep a flashlight rebuild kit in a lead lined case or something?

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    just one more thing that I won't worry about too much.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Just occurred to me. LED flashlights are run on tiny circuit boards. I guess an EMP strike would kill your LED flashlight as well. Eh?
    How about the digital locks on all the gun safes.

Oh, well, I guess if you can't get into your gun safe, the guns will stay safe!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

It is recommended to store batteries up off of the ground and away from grounded metal containers or structures as much as possible to avoid losing their charge quickly via earth ground field effects.
    Earth...ground...field...effects? Which can affect a DC system at a distanced? In spite of the fact that DC cannot propagate at all? Would you mind providing the source of this information? I am genuinely interested in who has theorized such a possibility.

I don't think anyone in society really cares about EMP, other than militaries. When's the last time we have heard a politician or an executive talk about hardening our infrastructure?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Amazon.com: one second after william r. forstchen: Books A decent book to give you something to think about.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

an excellent read
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

to bad they didn't us the CHAMP , program on themselves

there maybe good things that happen after the EMP, no cameras, no computers, AND NO DRIVERS USING THEIR CELL PHONES, sorry guy's I had to add that! LOL

I don't know if my car would work post-EMP.

What spare parts should I have sequestered, in a small Faraday cage?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I would say extra batteries for all that you really need for your optics, walkie talkies, your optics and radios themselves. that list will prob. grow as you think of it.
    Now I'm thinking of making a large one. LOL

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    Earth...ground...field...effects? Which can affect a DC system at a distanced? In spite of the fact that DC cannot propagate at all? Would you mind providing the source of this information? I am genuinely interested in who has theorized such a possibility.
    An EMP produces magnetic and electrical fields. When these fields 'cut' a conductive path, current is induced in the conductor. High energy fields can produce tens of thousands of volts in pulse form IF the conductive paths are long and unshielded.

However, the purported effects of an EMP is theoretical and has not, and likely cannot be determined precisely experimentally. In tests where an EMP was simulated, only one car shut down, and it only had to be restarted. Many now think that an EMP, generated from space, won't do the damage once claimed. What might be a problem is the grid - so many miles of conductors. However, even the grid is protected against lightning which also produces very high voltages, and there are multiple spark gaps that shunt the transient voltage to ground.

Other indications that the EMP is not nearly the problem some claim is the fact that they have performed nuclear tests using electronic equipment to monitor the test. While these were vacuum tube devices, they could withstand transients better than semiconductors, they had little problems with the equipment. They did use shield cables, sometimes double shielded.

As far as electronic watches, safe locks, LED flashlights etc., I seriously doubt they would be effected - they just don't have sufficient 'antennas' to generate damaging voltages. I doubt your car would miss a beat unless you were in the highest intensity area. And the EMP magnitude decreases with distance.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links